Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The sport of mma nowadays is cool but when it was style vs style with almost NO RULES it was soooo much better. It was better , just your style and your natural abilities and see what your made of. I wish that stuck around longer because I would have loved to see real martial artists get in there and not just the gracies. Real taekwondo champions maybe and real boxing champs, real judo champs, not retired guys who did it for fun and gracie submitting the crap outta them.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
the origional day of the ufc were cool but there is no way something like that could exist in todays society.

without the weight classes rules and regulations it would be ban in no time.politicians were all over their ass trying to get it outlawed in the early days. Now most of them have gone away due to the regulations but it wouldnt take much to bring them back.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
I wish that stuck around longer because I would have loved to see real martial artists get in there and not just the gracies. Real taekwondo champions maybe and real boxing champs, real judo champs, not retired guys who did it for fun and gracie submitting the crap outta them.
Normally, I'd ignore this kind of a post, but this portion is annoying.

Gerard Gordeau wasn't the real deal? The guy won a Thai boxing championship in Thailand the year he fought in the UFC, and won a world championship in karate the next year.

At the time Art Jimmerson fought at UFC 1 he was 28-5 as a professional boxer. He was absolutely in his prime as a competitive boxer, and far from retired.

Jason Delucia was in his prime as a pure-style martial artist as well.

I mean, seriously? These guys were retired guys who were just getting submitted by the Gracies?

Remco Pardoel and Patrick Smith, these guys were great athletes and in great shape compared to the average "martial arts champion" at the time of their appearance in the UFC.

The fact is, MMA today is a sport unto itself. It isn't a bunch of guys who show up with different backgrounds like the kumite in Bloodsport. If people want to complain that it's too homogenous, that's just because what works effectively has been successfully identified by those early UFC events, and has been adopted by the community of fighters at large.

There's a reason we don't see pure boxers or wrestlers or even jiu-jitsu guys very often on the big stage in the sport: because they don't make it through the D-League.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its entertaining

i like to watch mma ofcourse except for sometimes where there is too much stalling on the ground. i think thats why fedor is so amazing, he always tries to finish the fight, standing or ground.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
i like to watch mma ofcourse except for sometimes where there is too much stalling on the ground. i think thats why fedor is so amazing, he always tries to finish the fight, standing or ground.
I was considering my response to this thread when I read this........I withdraw any of my opinions.

·
ASS MAN
6,063 Posts
guys im new here, how do u delete a post??, u guys definately told me what i needed to know, thanks.
Don't worry man and welcome to the forum- sometimes the first post isn't the best. My first thread was "Talking UFC with people" instead of "Talking MMA with people" and I gots corrected very quickly. It's all good as we all are here to enjoy and discuss the sport we are interested in- no worries at all and keep posting. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks man, will do, i have lots of knowledge on mma and its definately a great sport to discuss about. the reason i posted this in all HONESTY was to see what you guys know. Im glad im at the right place to discuss mma.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts