Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks after he won his fifth consecutive fight at UFC 63 against former middleweight challenger David Loiseau in September 2006, Swick was sitting in the press room at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas at UFC 64 telling anyone who would listen that he wanted a chance for the belt against the man who was crowned that night, Anderson "The Spider" Silva.

This was not an attitude seen in other fighters of the class, especially after the massacre that Anderson imposed on Rich Franklin in the first round, but Swick was confident, hungry and ready to challenge "The Spider." Anderson had early in 2007 a fight against the winner of Ultimate Fighter 4, but after that it would be natural that Swick was next in line, mostly by the opponent in front of him, Yushin Okami at UFC 69.

But those plans were dashed when he racked up a decision loss to Okami in April 2007, and now, more than two years later, Swick is finally grappling with the same situation, only this time between the middle beam. And he knows he can not let the chance escape again.

"You saw how I was excited about that opportunity and then it was taken from me, and now the road has been long in an attempt to challenge the new champion, only to feel it more powerful now," said Swick. "It's much more motivating."

On his way at the moment is the British star Dan "The Out Law" Hardy, a fighter who will have a nation behind when you enter the Octagon on November 14th in Manchester, England, at the MEN Arena. Swick, who fought in Europe against Marcus Davis and Ben Saunders, do not mind being the bad fighter in history.

"You never know how a fighter will react with the audience cheering or booing, but I do not think the fans will give super-powers to him," he smiles. "He will be the same fighter. He may be a little better mentally and a little more motivated when it comes to the fight, but that's what I want. I want him to be motivated and I want to fight against what he has to better. I might cry if I boo, but before the fight starts I'll be right I had recovered. "

Swick laughs, and this is the confidence of a man who is well prepared for the fight of his career and it was finally discovered in his new weight category. It was not always so, when, in his first two fights up to 77 pounds, he defeated Josh Burkman by majority decision and was less bright when he beat Davis by decision.

"The problem was not the weight, the real had other things," said Swick. "But I feel very well at that weight, I definitely belong to that class."

Does Swick is really ready to face Georges St. Pierre if he wins Hardy?

source: Portal de Lutas.com - Brazil

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Swick is a top contender but he better focus on Dan Hardy because in my opinion, his skill set is sightly overrated. I actually think Fitch and Alves (for sure), Kampmann, Rumble, Kos, and even Condit could give him a run for his money.

Who has Swick fought? his biggest wins are over Joe Riggs and Marcus Davis...

Fitch and Alves speak for themselves...

Kampmann has beat Condit, Leites, Rivera (a vet) - he fought better competition his entire carreer and has had a more impressive career

Rumble is larger, faster, more athletic and could win if he could keep it standing...

Kos is the better wrestler...

I'm not saying everyone of these fighters would win against Swick for sure, but you coud easily make a case for every single one of them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Swick is a top contender but he better focus on Dan Hardy because in my opinion, his skill set is sightly overrated. I actually think Fitch and Alves (for sure), Kampmann, Rumble, Kos, and even Condit could give him a run for his money.

Who has Swick fought? his biggest wins are over Joe Riggs and Marcus Davis...

Fitch and Alves speak for themselves...

Kampmann has beat Condit, Leites, Rivera (a vet) - he fought better competition his entire carreer and has had a more impressive career

Rumble is larger, faster, more athletic and could win if he could keep it standing...

Kos is the better wrestler...

I'm not saying everyone of these fighters would win against Swick for sure, but you coud easily make a case for every single one of them.
Who else is GSP gonna fight? He's walked through everyone besides Rumble already.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Personally, i wouldnt be shocked to see Swick KO GSP. Swick has the best stand up in the division and trains with some of the best wrestlers in the game. I would never bet against GSP, but i would still give Swick a shot in that fight. As for Shields, i think his ground game is just as good as GSP's, the problem he would face is GSP's great stand up (people forget that he used to be primarily a striker and a damn good one). Shields wouldnt be able to get GSP down and would get pretty well KO'ed in that fight. GSP would not be able to muscle Shields around on the ground like he has with everyone else, Shields has a win over Yushin Okami who is said to be one of the strongest middleweights around, but as I said, GSP would take this one standing up with little resisitance.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Jake shields, seriously?
Jake Shields is a grappler. Point blank. Jake is not as well rounded as GSP when it comes to all around game. The thing with Jake is that Jake has "okay" stand up.

When I looked at jake Shields record and who He's beaten, It would seem like He would give GSP a good run. But when I watched him fight this weekend, I saw that his stand up really isn't that good.

If Jake Shields were to fight GSP, they both have excellant wrestling and ground game. So GSP would probably nutralize the fight with his stand up, and GSP has superior stand up to Jake Shields.

Shields is probably of the same caliber as Jon Ficht and Josh Koscheck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Jake Shields is the only guy who could seriously challenge GSP for the belt IMO.
Sheilds wouldn't be able to take GSP down, and would likely be taken down almost at will. I see GSP being to hard to control from the top also (relative to Sheilds in guard).

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Jake Shields is a grappler. Point blank. Jake is not as well rounded as GSP when it comes to all around game. The thing with Jake is that Jake has "okay" stand up.

When I looked at jake Shields record and who He's beaten, It would seem like He would give GSP a good run. But when I watched him fight this weekend, I saw that his stand up really isn't that good.

If Jake Shields were to fight GSP, they both have excellant wrestling and ground game. So GSP would probably nutralize the fight with his stand up, and GSP has superior stand up to Jake Shields.

Shields is probably of the same caliber as Jon Ficht and Josh Koscheck.
Disagreed. I don't see GSP trying to keep the fight standing. Shields definitely doesn't have as good BJJ as BJ Penn, and GSP brutalized Penn on the ground.

GSP would brutalize Shields on the ground, like he has everyone else thus far. Especially after seeing Shield's most recent fight, it became evident to me that Shields is not a fighter I would consider highly talented. He's a good fighter, but he's not someone to be impressed with.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Jake Shields won't be able to lay and pray GSP.
Shields would not even be a slight challenge. GSP would finish him.
I don't even like GSP but IMO GSP wrecks any non-UFC fighter below the HW class.
You gotta be kidding me... did you even watch his Mayhem fight?

Yup, Shields will definitely choke out or knock out GSP easily.
Sheilds wouldn't be able to take GSP down, and would likely be taken down almost at will. I see GSP being to hard to control from the top also (relative to Sheilds in guard).
I didnt say he would beat him, i just mean that with his great wrestling and BJJ he is the only guy who could threaten GSP on the ground.

Jake man handled Mayhem for 5 rounds and he was a lot bigger than jake and has a great ground himself, GSP did the exact same thing to him as jake did but at WW. I think it would be a great fight.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Jake man handled Mayhem for 5 rounds and he was a lot bigger than jake and has a great ground himself, GSP did the exact same thing to him as jake did but at WW. I think it would be a great fight.
Just days after the fight with Shields, he is 100% healthy and good to go.

GSP, on the other hand, actually did a LOT of damage, and was taking it to Mayhem for basically the whole fight.

GSP hurts people, badly. In my opinion anyone who thinks that he LnPs haven't really payed attention.

Swick is in for it.
But I like him a lot for wanting this fight so bad, and if he takes it directly to GSP when the fight happens, I think he has as good of a chance as anyone at WW.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Jake shields would get his shit wrecked by Alves or Fitch never mind what GSP would do to him, Shields has mediocre stand up, average wrestling and a good ground game, not great but above average, GSP has phenomenal wrestling, great striking, some of the best ground control and guard passing in the sport as well as good subs. Shields is a good fighter, guys like Fitch and Alves are great and GSP is in a class all his own.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Sometimes I'm like "Shields has great wrestling and might stand a chance" or "Swick could possibly TKO GSP" I remember...

If GSP and the Spider fought at a catchweight of 185 I give 6/10 odds to Rush. I don't think we'll see GSP challenged (let alone beat) at 170 in his career.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I should add (as I did on other threads) that when Shields had Miller in vulnerable positions as often as he did, he could do nothing about it with striking. I find it hard to believe that anyone would think he would have better luck with arguably the most well rounded fighter in the world. Wha???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts