Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meltzer:
Early reports on UFC 113 on 5/8 in Montreal have the show doing 520,000 buys, slightly above the 450,000 that the first Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua fight did. We should note that there were cable reports as high as 687,000 for the show, and trending patterns were only slightly behind GSP vs. Dan Hardy and the highest besides that show since August, which would also indicate something closer to the latter than the former. There are a lot of other measures that also indicate the higher number, but as far as the number of buys from people who would have the numbers and that can be confirmed, the lower number is the best number we’ve got."

·
Banned
820 Posts
mayweather/mosley did 1.4 mill :)
Boxing has how many big fights a year? Also as Bobby said how many big fights are left? Just 1.

Top 10 PPV buy rates, 2009

1. UFC 100: Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, July 11, 1.6 million

2. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto, Nov. 14, 1.25 million

3. Boxing: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Sept. 19, 1.05 millon

4. UFC 94: Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn, Jan. 31, 920,000 buys

5. UFC 101: Penn vs. Kenny Florian/Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin, Aug. 8, 850,000

6. Boxing: Pacquiao vs. Ricky Hatton, May 2, 825,000

7t. UFC 107: Penn vs. Diego Sanchez, Dec. 12, 650,000

7t. UFC 97: Silva vs. Thales Leites/Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio Rua, April 18, 650,000

9. UFC 98: Lyoto Machida vs. Rashad Evans/Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra, May 23, 635,000

10. Wrestling: WWE WrestleMania 25, April 5, 582,000
The UFC as a whole kills anything else out there in term of PPV buys. Yea boxing may get more buys per big event, but the UFC is the buisness makeing all the money. So Vilify while you and Don King collect that one pay-day. I will watch Dana collect a monthly one with the UFC.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Boxing relies on Mayweather and Pacman for big PPV numbers and as soon as one of them gets beat, watch their stock fall massively. Then who is there to replace the one that loses?

The UFC builds enough stars to always have big fights, and the beauty is the fighters and the promotion in general interacts so much with the fans, that guys like Forrest Griffin who get their ass kicked now and again still pull in the numbers.

Not bad for 9 significant years of work by people who knew what they were doing.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Boxing relies on Mayweather and Pacman for big PPV numbers and as soon as one of them gets beat, watch their stock fall massively. Then who is there to replace the one that loses?

The UFC builds enough stars to always have big fights, and the beauty is the fighters and the promotion in general interacts so much with the fans, that guys like Forrest Griffin who get their ass kicked now and again still pull in the numbers.

Not bad for 9 significant years of work by people who knew what they were doing.
They WON'T get beat though because of the way "Match Making" in boxing is. They fight people that they know are leagues under them and never one that's aorund a 50/50 shot. Boxers will fight people are are stacked at the VERY least at 65/35 unless they're past their prime and just looking for a pay day.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
They WON'T get beat though because of the way "Match Making" in boxing is. They fight people that they know are leagues under them and never one that's aorund a 50/50 shot. Boxers will fight people are are stacked at the VERY least at 65/35 unless they're past their prime and just looking for a pay day.
As a boxing fan I have to agree. There are a lot of great fights out there. I want to see Pacman vs Mayweather, and I want to see people stop ducking Williams.

But there a lot of others besides the big names that just won't happen.

Alexander vs Bradley (scheduled to fight Abregu)
Hopkins vs Dawson (scheduled to fight Pascal)

Really Showtime's super six super middleweight is about the only division that your going to get to see the fights that you want to see. Until boxing gets a national commission that regulates promoters, we are never going to get to see great boxing matches. MMA's league setup is so much better. If mma was like boxing Lesnar would be fighting the likes of Buentello. GSP would be fighting guys like Baroni.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Maybe they wont, but then there's still only two boxers who can draw huge PPV numbers, and they're running out of guys to fight aren't they?

But I don't think the big problem is just boxers ducking each other. Regardless of that, I think the promotion of boxing is weak compared to the UFC.

The UFC can make stars in no time and has a heap of up and comers who in a few fights time will be huge draws too. The star power in MMA is huge and no one knows how to breed stars like the UFC. Look at the popularity of guys like Frank Mir, Couture, Griffin. Boxing just doesn't promote and hold a show that facilitates star building in the same way, and they wont get consistent PPV buys until they do.

Maybe it also has something to do with MMA being more exciting and unpredicatable, with more room for fighters to improve and become better fighters.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
Maybe they wont, but then there's still only two boxers who can draw huge PPV numbers, and they're running out of guys to fight aren't they?

But I don't think the big problem is just boxers ducking each other. Regardless of that, I think the promotion of boxing is weak compared to the UFC.

The UFC can make stars in no time and has a heap of up and comers who in a few fights time will be huge draws too. The star power in MMA is huge and no one knows how to breed stars like the UFC. Look at the popularity of guys like Frank Mir, Couture, Griffin. Boxing just doesn't promote and hold a show that facilitates star building in the same way, and they wont get consistent PPV buys until they do.

Maybe it also has something to do with MMA being more exciting and unpredicatable, with more room for fighters to improve and become better fighters.
Its not entirely better than boxing imo but the bolded part sums up why MMA is growing so fast in popularity.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
The numbers are pretty good if you ask me. Lets not forget that in regions like the UK, we get UFC events as part of our ESPN subscription rather than one-off PPVs. I'm sure there are quite a few channels outside the US that the UFC have struck deals with like this.

Boxing on the other hand, is PPV or nothing. You either buy the fight, or don't watch.

So, even though a boxing event might record 1 million PPV buys, a 500k UFC event is supplemented by lots of these extra subscription services boosting the revenue. Don't know much much somebody like ESPN will pay the UFC to show the events but it wont be peanuts.

Until the UFC make the revenue from subscription services public, looking at PPV numbers is only half the story.​

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The numbers are pretty good if you ask me. Lets not forget that in regions like the UK, we get UFC events as part of our ESPN subscription rather than one-off PPVs. I'm sure there are quite a few channels outside the US that the UFC have struck deals with like this.

Boxing on the other hand, is PPV or nothing. You either buy the fight, or don't watch.

So, even though a boxing event might record 1 million PPV buys, a 500k UFC event is supplemented by lots of these extra subscription services boosting the revenue. Don't know much much somebody like ESPN will pay the UFC to show the events but it wont be peanuts.

Until the UFC make the revenue from subscription services public, looking at PPV numbers is only half the story.​
Not to mention PPVs happening on a monthly basis, sometimes more.

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts

I agree with the promotion problem. A lot of people complain that mma guys don't get boxing money. However if they did, we wouldn't get the same product. MMA fans complain if there isn't 4 or 5 good fights on a card. In boxing you get one fight you want to see, two if you're really lucky. The rest are not fights you care about. I don't think mma should be more exciting, but boxing has changed. In the golden era of boxing a fighter that danced around the ring jabbing his opponent and not really engaging in a "fight" would have been DQ'd and not payed. Now we consistently reward guys for fighting like this with unanimous decisions. Also top boxers only fight a few times a year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.