Votes: 18 14.3%
  • No he was knocked down

Votes: 108 85.7%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Event: UFC 113
Date: Saturday, May 8, 2010, at 10 p.m. ET on pay-per-view (PPV)

Main card:

205 lbs.: Lyoto Machida (C) vs. Mauricio Rua - for UFC LHW Championship
170 lbs.: Josh Koscheck vs. Paul Daley
155 lbs.: Sam Stout vs. Jeremy Stephens
265 lbs.: Kimbo Slice vs. Matt Mitrione
185 lbs.: Patrick Côté vs. Alan Belcher

Under card:

185 lbs.: Tim Credeur vs. Tom Lawlor
170 lbs.: Marcus Davis vs. Jonathan Goulet
170 lbs.: T.J. Grant vs. Johny Hendricks
265 lbs.: Joey Beltran vs. Chad Corvin
170 lbs.: Yoshiyuki Yoshida vs. Mike Guymon
185 lbs.: Nick Catone vs. John Salter

· Premium Member
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Brazilians pros give their predictions on Shogun/Machida 2

Rudimar Fedrigo: “My expectations are that this fight will be better than the first, I wouldn’t bet on anyone. I believe the athletes will risk more, the fight will be more intense, more decisively. I think they won’t change much their strategies. What will change is their determination. The athlete who search more the knockout or the submission until the end will be the winner”

Demian Maia: “because they know each other, I hope the fight will be more aggressive. On the other fight Shogun went forward and Lyoto backward, even for their style, but I think Lyoto will risk more. I didn’t matter how aggressive Shogun was in the last fight, he has the respect for the unexpected, but he doesn’t have it anymore. They stood up there for almost half an hour, now they know each other. I love Lyoto, but I cheer for Shogun. We used to train together when he has his fight against Chuck Liddell. But I don’t know who will win”

Wanderlei Silva: “I think Shogun could see that Lyoto couldn’t hold him... Shogun really is a talent guy, if he’s well trained it’s hard to catch him and if he’s in a good shape as he was in the otehr fight, I don’t see him having much problems. Lyoto has a defensive style, moves very well and the judges must see it, but I think that fighting is about contact, otherwise the competition will became a marathon and that’s not good for the sport… Fighting is a contact sport. But I think this revenge is going to be very interesting, I’ll watch it live if I can, the first one was good enough for us to expect a lot from this. Lyoto could tell he has to do more than he did for winning this fight. Me, in particular, think that Shogun won the first fight. Me and the whole world. Only in Brazil people tought that Lyoto had won, I don’t know why. Shogun was upset with people from the television... People from TV has to understand that you have to judge the fight without being partial, the guy is there to narrate, he can not chose on side or another, the media has to be impartial or it will prejudice the show’s interpretation. The outsider who is watching is manipulated by the commentators speech and that can’t happen, it’s a thing to be rethink, the commentators has to be best chosen and can’t chose sides. Whoever is there narrating has to face it as a job and act in a professional way or give up for someone that is”

Jayme Sandall, karate coach: “I think Lyoto will win, he’s very focused and has being working hard. I believe Shogun will use the same strategy of the kicks and try to play on the counterattack,Lyoto I think will change a little bit and will focus on his speed, because he’s really fast and although Shogun is also fast, Lyoto is faster. I think Lyoto will keep his distance , get closer and then retrat… Shogun’s also a phenomenon, and for him the best thing would be to fight in a short distance, while for Lyoto is the other way around. Honestly I don’t believe in a knockout on this fight, even because both has never been knocked out , but I believe Lyoto will will in the judges round card”

Rogério Minotouro: “It’ll be a great fight. Shogun is doing just fine, recovering his good shape as he has during the Pride, is well physically, and Lyoto is in the prime of his career, a lot confident. I think the fight will be even better. I can’t predict who will win, because it’ll be very tied. I want Lyoto to win, but the first fight was ied and I think he’s coming back better, he could study Shogun and improve even more. On the other side, Shogun is training, got very close and let it go, but now he’ll try not to waste the opportunity. This fight will be awesome”

Bebeo Duarte: “I think Lyoto and Shogun’s fight will be tied as the first one was, but I don’t believe they’ll fight in the same way. I think both of them will change their strategies and bring up some new tactics. It’ll be a huge fight! I believe Lyoto will win, he won’t get caught by surprise anymore, he’ll show why he is the champion and will show his game”

Zé Mário Sperry: “The unpredictability is the essence of MMA. It is the beauty of the sport. Everything can happen. Meanwhile, I believe that, by the statistics of the previous fights, we could see something similar from what we saw in the last confrontation: a fight won by points, tied, with a light advantage of Lyoto. Again, it’s by the record, statistically more positive”

Ricardo Arona: “I believe that, if there’s no aggressiveness, is a case for the judge to tell the athlete to start fighting. On Lyoto’s case, even though his strategy is defensive, I think he has to be more daring and, if the fight is like the last one, with him going backwards, I think it must be interfered in order to have more combat. The round has five minutes and it can’t have just two or three attacks. I can’t say who will win, because both of them has the star and heart of a champion, who is in a better moment and dare more, will win”

Anderson Silva: “Each fight is different, each situation is particular. You can never know your opponent well enough. Shogun is a great fighter, a very tough one, but of course we want Lyoto to win. Is a good fight for the two of them”

Chinzo Machiza: “The fight itself is unpredictable, but Lyoto is more prepared than on the other time, more focused, stronger. I believe Lyoto will knockout, we are making him ready for it. It was his first belt defense and that took his focus away. He can be better than that. We’ve changed a lot. No one will want to leave the decisions for the judges. Lyoto was not happy with the critics and Shogun wasn’t thrilled by the result either. That can motivate them to define the fight, but we’ll only know that at the time”

Paulo Nikolai: “I would be ungrateful if I pointed one of them as the probable winner, but I want Shogun to win with a knockout. I want him to win to finish will all doubts and that is the world’s opinion. I fight Muay Thai and Shogun defends it. But Shogun can’t make a mistake, otherwise he’ll be beaten. He hits to make a damage, is very clever during the fight. I think he’ll focus more on the combinations, he has a good timing and is more mature now. I think he will use another strategy this time”

Thiago Silva: “It’ll be another battle. I like Shogun, I want him to win... He won once and has all the potential to do it again. I trained with Shogun and for all I know of him, he’s a very determinate guy. Lyoto can be prepared for a bigger Shogun”

Sérgio Cunha: “I think this revenge will be sensational, even because Lyoto will come back a lot better and so Shogun. Everyone claimed that Shogun would lose, that Lyoto would easily beat him, but Shogun won the fight morally, so he’ll come more confident and Lyoto more aggressive. We will have a better fight this time”

Glover Teixeira: “Lyoto is really clever and I think he’ll win again on this fight against Shogun, maybe even easily. I see Shogun as the second within the division, because Lyoto is very tactical, make his opponents frustrated, I believe this will be a easier fight for him. I believe it’ll end on the fourth round, but if it goes for the judges round card, it’ll be in favor of Lyoto… But I think Lyoto will submit Shogun before that”

João Guilherme Bendley, Shogun’s karate sparring: “I think Lyoto is not changing much his style, because it worked until now. You can’t change ten years of trainings in four months, I think he’ll still be defensive because he does that pretty well, works on the counterattack or going for it. I think he’ll work on his timing, will be more prepared just like Shogun, but Shogun will win. I think this fight will be like the previous one, Shogun’s kicks are precise, I think this fight will be more aggressive, because both of them wants to show their abilities”

Glaube Feitosa: “As Lyoto must counterattack, Shogun must be aware of that and prepared to develop. He must take the counterattacks knowing it’ll happen otherwise we’ll be caught by surprise. The ideia is Shogun to through his blows upon Lyoto’s counterattacks. Shogun has to be the last to punch, a hard thing when we think about Lyoto, but that’s the goal”

Paulão Filho: “On this fight something different will happen. I think one of them will go down. On the first fight there was all that caution and Shogun knows that if that happens again, he’ll lose again. For the champion to lose by point, only if the owner of the event is very pissed with him or if it’s a big difference, thing that didn’t happen on that fight. I think Shogun must try more, what can be a good thing for Lyoto, but I think Lyoto is not used to athletes with so much potential. It’s a fight, man, that I want to see again. It’s very good to see the level they’ve achieved… It’ll be a fight to beat all of the pay-per-view records”

Murilo Ninja: “Shogun will go for it all the time. I’m sure he’ll win this one, he’s very talented. Well trained, my brother is the best of the world on this weight division”

Daniel Woirin: “I though the fight was tied, and people focused a lot on the hands, the punches, but Shogun kicked a lot and annulled Lyoto’s punches. I’d say it was a draw. It’s very hard to chose one of them. Now they’ll come with all of their Power for this second fight, it’ll be interesting. There are always ways, just like Lyoto can find his own ways, but I think it’s not the decisive thing. The decisive thing will be their state of mind, because it’s a lot of pressure they’ve been through. I have a tactic for the two of them, but I’m not telling, it’s a secret (laughs)”

Expert’s guess:

Lyoto: 6

Shogun: 6

Don’t know: 6
http://tatame.com

Lol @ the bolded.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.