Did Machida Slip

• Yes he slipped

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • No he was knocked down

Votes: 108 85.7%
41 - 60 of 193 Posts

· Premium Member
4,109 Posts
This is probably the best match of skill vs skill that you could possibly have in any division. I was happy enough to see them fight the first time, the fact I get to see them fight a second time is amazing although I'm hoping for a finish this time. Lyoto via KO would be nice.

· Premium Member
2,478 Posts
I think Shogun could see that Lyoto couldn’t hold him... Shogun really is a talent guy, if he’s well trained it’s hard to catch him and if he’s in a good shape as he was in the otehr fight, I don’t see him having much problems. Lyoto has a defensive style, moves very well and the judges must see it, but I think that fighting is about contact, otherwise the competition will became a marathon and that’s not good for the sport… Fighting is a contact sport. But I think this revenge is going to be very interesting, I’ll watch it live if I can, the first one was good enough for us to expect a lot from this. Lyoto could tell he has to do more than he did for winning this fight. Me, in particular, think that Shogun won the first fight. Me and the whole world. Only in Brazil people tought that Lyoto had won, I don’t know why. Shogun was upset with people from the television... People from TV has to understand that you have to judge the fight without being partial, the guy is there to narrate, he can not chose on side or another, the media has to be impartial or it will prejudice the show’s interpretation. The outsider who is watching is manipulated by the commentators speech and that can’t happen, it’s a thing to be rethink, the commentators has to be best chosen and can’t chose sides. Whoever is there narrating has to face it as a job and act in a professional way or give up for someone that is”
Did anyone else read this in their Wanglish voice? LOL at the marathon part. God bless Wandy.

· Registered
985 Posts
This fight is so legendary, we should feel honored to be fans in this era. It's almost breathtaking really, like being at the birth of a king.

Ten years from now we'll be seeing highlights of the first fight and the rematch and remember the baby days of MMA and how exciting and unpredictable it was.

Here's hoping that Shogun pulls a Ben Henderson and finishes Lyoto quickly and definitively.
I haven't been so excited for a fight in years. This is the big one folks. I just hope it can live up to the hype, and judging from the first fight we can probably assume that will be the case. Wow I'm pumped.

Lol @ 666

· Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,092 Posts
GAHHHHHHHHHHHH! FREAKING BRAZILLIANS ARE SO BIASED!!!!!! HOW DARE THEY ONCE AGAIN ONLY PICK ANOTHER BRAZILLIAN TO WIN I MEAN COME ON GUYS WTF RIGHT? EVERYBODY KNOWS CHUCK LIDDELL IS GONNA WIN VIA 1st ROUND KO!

Lol but seriously as much as I want Shogun to win I have to think he only had surprise on his side last time. this time Machida will have patched up his holes and be completely focused on outworking Shogun. Ive got to pick Machida via tko sometime into the later rounds.

· Registered
111 Posts
GAHHHHHHHHHHHH! FREAKING BRAZILLIANS ARE SO BIASED!!!!!! HOW DARE THEY ONCE AGAIN ONLY PICK ANOTHER BRAZILLIAN TO WIN I MEAN COME ON GUYS WTF RIGHT? EVERYBODY KNOWS CHUCK LIDDELL IS GONNA WIN VIA 1st ROUND KO!

Lol but seriously as much as I want Shogun to win I have to think he only had surprise on his side last time. this time Machida will have patched up his holes and be completely focused on outworking Shogun. Ive got to pick Machida via tko sometime into the later rounds.
Having said that, you have to think Shogun might take it to the ground at some point (you can say go for broke and go after takedowns) if he doesnt find his rhythm. Also, I dont understand why people look at this fight as "oh, Lyoto will definetely fix his holes and improve from last time while Shogun will have nothing to improve on and will look the same".. I expect Shogun to surprise come Saturday...

· Registered
351 Posts
How can anyone bash this card just watched the weigh ins and I am even more pumped Stephens vs Stout is a great way to kick off the card and then Cote vs Belcher I have a feeling will be a war.Kos vs Daley wont go to the judges I think it will a KO for Daley or GNP for Kos.Machida vs Shogun 2 is a great main event and a toss up unlike almost every other main event this year.I mean Mitrione vs Kimbo really doesnt excite me and I would rather see Lawlors fight along with the Davis and Hendricks fight but hopefully some the fights go fast so we get some prelims

Oh by the way no prelims but MMA Live preshow on ESPN 2 MMA Live is great hopefully they keep it on ESPN 2

Come on Shogun,Kos,Belcher,Mitrione,and Stout

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Having said that, you have to think Shogun might take it to the ground at some point (you can say go for broke and go after takedowns) if he doesnt find his rhythm. Also, I dont understand why people look at this fight as "oh, Lyoto will definetely fix his holes and improve from last time while Shogun will have nothing to improve on and will look the same".. I expect Shogun to surprise come Saturday...
I keep saying the same thing. Its like talking to the wall lol. They both had 4 months to change up whatever. How much comes to your natural reaction after 4 months? The point is Lyoto DOES need to fix holes where as Shogun didnt have any holes in his game the last time. He needs to be more aggressive when he can. Ill take Shogun by decision. But a KO would be sweet!

· Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,737 Posts
Ha, the experts are as split as us! This is an awesome find.

Also, gotta laugh at Wanderlei, I know he's a great friend of Shogun's and his training partner, but wow, Machida's own brother doesn't hug his nuts as hard as Wanderlei hangs onto Shogun's!

· Premium Member
2,478 Posts
I'm torn to be honest. Half and half, very hard to call.

· "Focus"
10,225 Posts
Judges and Ref for Machida Shogun Named

The combat sports wing of Quebec’s Régie des Alcools des Courses et des Jeux (RACJ) has formally decided on the four men who will preside over Saturday night's hotly anticipated rematch between Lyoto Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

The RACJ has selected Yves Lavigne, Quebec’s most experienced senior referee to oversee the bout in the cage. This comes as little surprise, as it was expected the commission would select from a trio of Lavigne, the notoriously shaky Philippe Chartier and the less experienced Marc-Andre Cote to assign the main event duty.

The three judges scoring the bout will be Tony Weeks of Nevada, Sal D’Amato of Wisconsin, and Pasquale Procopio of Quebec.

Weeks and D’Amato were selected from a group of three out-of-province judges, the third being Nelson “Doc” Hamilton, who likely was denied the assignment as he judged the first Machida-Rua bout in Los Angeles last October. It is highly uncommon for commissions to select an official to judge a rematch after working the first encounter.

Procopio is the most intriguing selection, as he beat out fellow Quebecois judges Claude Paquette and David Therien for the assignment. A former boxer in the 1980's, Procopio has become perhaps Quebec's top boxing judge, but has very little MMA experience. On paper, the most likely candidate would have been Paquette, who has the cageside judging experience.

If Machida and Rua’s first encounter seven months ago is any indication, the scoring of the bout may be critical. In the first clash, all three judges -- the aforementioned Nelson Hamilton, Cecil Peoples and Marcos Rosales -- all scored the bout 48-47 Machida. The overwhelming public sentiment was that Rua deserved the nod in the bout, an emotion exacerbated by the judges' comments following the bout, including Hamilton's admission that upon re-watching the bout, he felt Rua deserved the win.

Below are a list of notable scorecards turned in by D'Amato and Weeks, two regular judges for Zuffa cards. The cross-section of scorecards is intended to show their judgements in fights that were seen as particular close, contentious or controversial.

D’Amato:
L.C. Davis 30-27 over Javier Vazquez (8/9/2009)
Takeya Mizugaki 29-28 over Jeff Curran (8/9/2009)
Carlos Condit 29-28 over Jake Ellenberger (9/16/2009)
Randy Couture 29-28 over Brandon Vera (11/14/2009)
Justin Wren 29-28 over Jon Madsen (12/5/2009)
Aaron Simpson 29-28 over Tom Lawlor (1/11/2010)
Frankie Edgar 48-47 over B.J. Penn (4/12/2010)
Rick Story 29-28 over Nick Osipczak (4/12/2010)

Weeks:
Hermes Franca 29-28 over Yves Edwards (4/2/2004)
Forrest Griffin 29-28 over Stephan Bonnar (4/9/2005)
Brad Imes 29-28 over Rashad Evans (11/5/2005)
Cheick Kongo 29-28 over Carmelo Marrero (10/14/2006)
Ricardo Almeida 29-28 over Patrick Cote (7/5/2008)
Antonio Banuelos 29-28 over Scott Jorgensen (6/7/2009)
Dan Hardy 29-28 over Marcus Davis (6/13/2009)
Rich Franklin 30-27 over Wanderlei Silva (6/13/2009)
Rob McCullough 30-27 over Karen Darabedyan (11/18/2009)

As Pasquale Procopio does not have a history of notable MMA bouts judged, here is a sampling of his more notable scorecards from boxing world title fights.

Procopio:
Lucian Bute 119-109 over Sergey Tatevosyan (1/26/2007)
Jean Pascal 115-113 over Kingsley Ikeke (8/3/2007)
Herman Ngoudjo 116-112 over Souleymane M'baye (6/6/2008)
Juan Urango 116-110 over Herman Ngoudjo (1/30/2009)
Yuriy Nuzhnenko 118-110 over Vyacheslav Senchenko (4/10/2009)
Gabriel Campillo 115-111 over Beibut Shumenov (8/15/2009)
Daiki Kameda 114-112 over Denkaosan Kaovichit (2/7/2010)

Apart from the previously stated fact that Procopio has no notable MMA judging experience, the most interesting angle to his boxing scorecards appears to be the unwarranted closeness of many of his scores. Though his resume does not include virtually any seriously contentious fights, Procopio consistently has the scoring margin between fighters much closer than his contemporaries, typically giving a losing fighter two to three more rounds than his fellow judges, even when scoring a bout for the same fighter via unanimous decision.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Lavigne-Will-Referee-Machida-Rua-Bout-at-UFC-113-Judges-Named-24324

Yves Lavigne....really.......my only thoughts....

· Registered
59 Posts
i got shogun,kos, and kimbo i wonder how cote will do in his return
I got Machida,daley and meathead. I think s-gun fought the best fight he could,exc. g-plan. It was the perfect recipe to beat mach. he just didn't do quite enough. Machida won't take all of those leg kicks tonight. He will have a counter or maybe even take him down do some gnp and submit him. I think he will make a big statement. This guy is all about disipline,honer and respect. When the crowd turned for Rua,I think it really bothered him, but by then (mid-4th) his legs was shot. I wouldn't want to be Rua tonight.
I like kos, but Daley just needs one to land,& g-night
I think meathead is going to shock alot of people 2nite
jus my lil opinion's

· Premium Member
9,624 Posts
D'Amato looks solid, Weeks seems to favor counter striking a bit but also solid. and that other guy is a boxing judge. Why on God's green earth would they appoint a boxing judge to a fight of this magnitude? What is he gonna do if the fight hits the ground? Pull a Cecil Peoples? But maybe that's a good thing. Boxing/Kickboxing judges are much more likely to give a 10-10 round than MMA judges.

· "Focus"
10,225 Posts
I don't think it will be on the ground and I don't think there is going to be a stoppage so the ref doesn't really matter, but he is such a bad ref I want to know how he got this fight.....

As long as there aren't three judges that all are karate fighters I don't care.

41 - 60 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.