Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC 113: Matt Mitrione doesn't plan on being a punching bag for Kimbo Slice

by Jesse Holland on Apr 29, 2010 4:14 PM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/29/1451115/ufc-113-matt-mitrione-doesnt-plan

Props: ProFightingFans.com

Quoteworthy:

"You know he did a lot to bring a ton of attention and ratings to TUF. I say good for him, great for him. I mean Kimbo is a cool ass dude. He is humble and from what I saw has a really good work ethic. I was really impressed with him and having nothing bad to say about Kimbo whatsoever. I think he has some power. He seems pretty quick and relatively athletic. He seems pretty aggressive. Honestly I don't see too many things that will be bad for me. If he wants to stand and bang with me, cool! I don't think there are too many people that can take what I throw to the chin. I'm excited; I'm long, strong and athletic. I'm in pretty good cardio shape. I don't see any drawbacks to the fight. If I stand there like a punching bag then it might be different. I don't see that happening."

Former Minnesota Viking Matt Mitrione is out to prove he's more than just a heavy hitter with a quarter tank of gas when he collides with fellow Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 contestant Kevin Ferguson at UFC 113 on May 8 from the Bell Centre in Montreal. "Meathead" retired Marcus Jones via second round knockout at last December's TUF 10 Finale but expects a stiffer test against "Kimbo Slice" a week from Saturday. Anyone think this one is going past the first round?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
my room-mate asked me "when's kimbo fighting dude"? I refused to answer and said Rua and Machida were rematching! He blinked at me in confusion.

I cried and realised this fight truly appeals to the masses.

In summary: who cares.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Matt "My head hurts" Mitrione can shut the hell up anytime he feels like it. It's disgusting this fight will get more headlines than Shogun Machida II. People probably think this Kimbo is in the main event.

Reactions: Can.Opener

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
That's why Dana signed Kimbo. More people recognize him than Machida and Shogun combined. If Kimbo's name puts more eyes on Machida and shogun's skills then Dana was right.

If meathead wins expect Dana to be pissed and throw him to the wolves in his next fight. If Kimbo wins dana and Joe Silva will search high and low for another "competitive" fight foe him. Maybe Jose CAN seco?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I think Mitrioni seems like an allright guy, that UFC thing was way edited to make him look like a dick although he probably played into it a bit as well.

Nothing but respect in his comments here and I think he will win this one and put an end to Kimbo's UFC career (or maybe it takes more than that?). Can't really remember his fights on TUF, but even if his cardio didn't look all that from what i recall it can't be worse than Kimbo's and there is definitely some power in Mitrione's punches (granted, Marcus had a glass jaw).

If he is smart he will land some kicks at Kimbo's knee and then clock him when the guard drops, or just take him down and finish it on the ground.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
It doesnt matter if Kimbo wins, it will just be turned into a no contest when he tests positive for performance enhancing beard cream. In all seriousness though, I see Kimbo knocking Mitrione out in the first round. Kimbo has pretty decent striking and his defense has looked a lot better since he got knocked out by seth whats his face.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
people are still hating on Kimbo :dunno:
Yes.

I think Mitrioni seems like an allright guy, that UFC thing was way edited to make him look like a dick although he probably played into it a bit as well.
Agreed.

Kimbo will take this. Mitrione has raw power and nothing else. He was losing that fight w/ Jones before the punch on the open button.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Not me. I love the guy and I have huge respect for what he's trying to do and the way he's trying to do it. He'll never be a contender but he is a man.
Yes to this.

He´s doing what is best for him and his family and for that i give him huge credit.

Don´t know why all the hate. At least he´s calling more people to watch MMA and who knows, maybe new MMA fans.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Kimbo seems like a cool dude, Meathead seems like a dick. I wanna see Meathead get killed. Does Kimbo still have Bas teachin him how to better use his ridiculous power? if so he shouldnt have a problem with this joker.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
What are you guys babbling about? Matt didn't say anything wrong in my opinion and gave Kimbo respect and credit. All he said is that he's ready for the fight and that he's in good shape and doesn't care where the fight takes place.

That being said, I think he will beat Kimbo either by TKO/KO, even though I wouldn't mind seeing Kimbo win and evolve into a more well rounded MMA fighter.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
I'm excited for any card that stands to further MMA going mainstream.

I really hope a casual fan viewing this card pays more attention to the Machida/Rua fight.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
I'm excited for any card that stands to further MMA going mainstream.

I really hope a casual fan viewing this card pays more attention to the Machida/Rua fight.
Not a chance, I know all I'm going to hear is about "why did Kimbo not fight last" and "who were those guys at the end." I'll hear a whole lot of "that fight sucked" because if you aren't mindlessly brawling and moving forward the fight sucks right.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Not a chance, I know all I'm going to hear is about "why did Kimbo not fight last" and "who were those guys at the end." I'll hear a whole lot of "that fight sucked" because if you aren't mindlessly brawling and moving forward the fight sucks right.
Actually I've been using kimbo to get some friends interested. Machida shogun has the potential to be the best display of all around skills they are ever going to see.

I pray that the last words from each corner before the fight are "remember no air guitar"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.