Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
I saw thats what Rashad was doing with the parachute....but damn 5 miles in 37 mins thats a pretty good feat and thats coming from me being in the Marine Corps.....I think Page is going to be ready and Rashad is over looking him

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
Rampage is gonna bring back Rashads O face. I don't think Rashad will be able to clinch or Gnp Page long enough to last. These primetimes have been great though, I liked the first one.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Granted, everything we're seeing is on TV, but Rashad really looks to be the better prepared fighter. I hate to be on the hype train, but training the clinch and dirty boxing with Carwin? That's definitely gotta up your game.

I will say that it saddened me to see Rampage wigging out - "He's dead! He's dead!" Excuse me while I throw up. That struck me as so freaking fake.

It's an odd fight for me. I really enjoy both fighters, so don't have a preference, and the I've been wanting to see this fight for a long time. However, in the past I've noticed that big fights like this, with a lot of trash talk, end up fizzling out because both guys enter more afraid to lose than they actually want to win.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just because Rashad trains with recognizable names it doesn't mean anything. Training and fighting are two different things. For example, who do Penn and Lesnar train with?​
Penn and Lesnar are both champions of one aspect of the game and are more gifted athletically than Rampage. Penn was a BJJ world champ and is unlikely to come up against anyone better on the ground. Lesnar was a div 1 champ and trains with other elite wrestlers like Cole Konrad.

Rashad training with Carwin does mean something. I don't know how you can play that down like it's not an advvantage. You said it yourself, training and fighting are two differen things so what's better, training with good wrestlers who don't fight (i.e the Iranians they got in) or training with a good wrestler who's the interim heavyweight champ?

Rampage might do just fine in the wrestling department, but of course the level of training partners has an impact on things.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
people discount the natural ability of Rampage way too much.

that being said, I love both of these guys and am 50/50 on which one will win.... so I offer nothing to the conversation.
Who's doing that?

I'm not sure if you're implying otherwise, but I'll say it anyway... just because Rampage is a good fighter with a good wrestling base and brute strength, doesn't mean he should be without top level wrestling training before fights, especially against wrestlers who just want to smother him.

It's common sense.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Penn and Lesnar are both champions of one aspect of the game and are more gifted athletically than Rampage. Penn was a BJJ world champ and is unlikely to come up against anyone better on the ground. Lesnar was a div 1 champ and trains with other elite wrestlers like Cole Konrad.

Rashad training with Carwin does mean something. I don't know how you can play that down like it's not an advvantage. You said it yourself, training and fighting are two differen things so what's better, training with good wrestlers who don't fight (i.e the Iranians they got in) or training with a good wrestler who's the interim heavyweight champ?​

Rampage might do just fine in the wrestling department, but of course the level of training partners has an impact on things.​

Penn has a closed training camp and fights with no other recognizable MMA fighters. Same with Lesnar. Thats my point. Just because Carwin is a known monster, it doesn't mean that some of the unknown beasts used by somebody like Lesnar don't actually make BETTER training partners than Carwin. Carwin knows Rashad personally. For all we know this is a disadvantage over somebody who doesn't know Rashad and is more willing to put some pain on him.​

In a nutshell, my point is ( and its a point Ive made 1000 times before ) opinions based on what we see on Primetime is highly likely to be bollocks. Im not saying Rashad isnt training well. Im saying, you and me.... us all... watching these shows, dont know shit about whats actually happening.​

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Penn has a closed training camp and fights with no other recognizable MMA fighters. Same with Lesnar. Thats my point. Just because Carwin is a known monster, it doesn't mean that some of the unknown beasts used by somebody like Lesnar don't actually make BETTER training partners than Carwin. Carwin knows Rashad personally. For all we know this is a disadvantage over somebody who doesn't know Rashad and is more willing to put some pain on him.

In a nutshell, my point is ( and its a point Ive made 1000 times before ) opinions based on what we see on Primetime is highly likely to be bollocks. Im not saying Rashad isnt training well. Im saying, you and me.... us all... watching these shows, dont know shit about whats actually happening.​
Fedor does the same thing. Name recognition doesn't matter as long as you have guys who know what they are doing. Rampage isn't the british fighters he isn't trying to learn wrestling from scratch he is improving small parts of his already good wrestling skillset.

The fact is Rashad is playing catch up so he needs to be training harder. He needs to try and get a lot better in the clinch because rampage will knock his head off and out muscle him there. Working against a wall with Carwin for 3 minutes is all well and good but it isn't changing the fact that he is a tiny lhw who Rampage can slam through the arena floor any time he feels like it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Rashad - Better athlete, better cardio.
Rampage - Better fighter - wrestling, striking, stronger.

I think that there is so much anger between them plays to Rampage cards. He has been there before. This is just his style. Rashad will get overemotional and not fight well. JMHO

I mean Rampage is just more suited for this kind of fight - full of rage.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.