Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
You know, this has been a dream fight of mine for a very long time.

Weird that it's happening now..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Dana's been booking a lot of these "legend vs. legend" matches recently as headlining bouts. Couture/Coleman, Gracie/Hughes, Ortiz/Liddell, now Franklin/Liddell.

I appreciate Dana's loyalty to veteran former champs, and name recognition does sell PPV's, but there has to be a point where the declining skills of former greats has to be acknowledged; make the fight, but don't try to pawn it off as a legitimate main event bout, because it's not.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Dana's been booking a lot of these "legend vs. legend" matches recently as headlining bouts. Couture/Coleman, Gracie/Hughes, Ortiz/Liddell, now Franklin/Liddell.

I appreciate Dana's loyalty to veteran former champs, and name recognition does sell PPV's, but there has to be a point where the declining skills of former greats has to be acknowledged; make the fight, but don't try to pawn it off as a legitimate main event bout, because it's not.
Franklin v Liddell could possibly be, Coleman Couture was a joke though.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Love it. Although I did want to see Chuck beat Tito up again after watching the new episodes of TUF.

I'll be ordering. It's always the 'lacking' events that surprise the most and have the best fights.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Chuck looks huge compared to Franklin. I wouldn't be surprised if he could get the KO. But Rich might be too fast for him now and out point him all night, so who knows. Probably a better match up than Tito vs Lidell 3.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he could get the KO.
i don't understand why people keep saying this even though chuck hasn't ko'd someone since 2006 and rich doesn't get knocked out on a regular basis and not to mention the Tko's where from belfort who was on a tear, silva when he actually fought and by lyoto machida soccer kicking and punching him in the head.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I would expect this to be more of a co-main event... and I'm a Franklin guy.

Personally I think Franklin outclasses Lidell in almost every area... except knockout power and tdd (which isn't relevant vs Franklin)).

Franklin by decision or third round KO. Way excited to see the fight though.

-Ramble-

This is a horrible fight for franklin... what does he have to gain? He got caught by Belfort (could happen to anyone), and lost a VERY controversial decision to Dan Henderson. With the exception of that he hasn't lost since Silva. Franklin is one of the most overlooked fighters in the UFC. If he beats Lidell so what? If he loses it puts a bad image on him for losing to someone who's been getting his ass kicked.

/ rant

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
So...it seems that poster in the TUF Gym was real after all!
I think this fight has more potential than Chuck-Tito. That one, would have been interesting because of the history between Chuck and Tito, but i am convinced this one will be better.
I will be curious on how Liddell will be affected by the long lay-off. After all, he hasn't fought in over a year.
I can see Franklin controlling the fight, without being the agressor. I think Liddell will try to land some big strikes, but probably he will tire late in the second or in the third.
If Franklin is patient and if he can put togheter some quick combinations, he will take this one. I can even see him getting the TKO in the 3rd.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
So...it seems that poster in the TUF Gym was real after all!
I think this fight has more potential than Chuck-Tito. That one, would have been interesting because of the history between Chuck and Tito, but i am convinced this one will be better.
I will be curious on how Liddell will be affected by the long lay-off. After all, he hasn't fought in over a year.
I can see Franklin controlling the fight, without being the agressor. I think Liddell will try to land some big strikes, but probably he will tire late in the second or in the third.
If Franklin is patient and if he can put togheter some quick combinations, he will take this one. I can even see him getting the TKO in the 3rd.
i don't think he even needs to do that much to Ko chuck

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I wonder if chuck is going to try and take Rich down and GNP him. It would make sense since his chin is gone but it is probably more likely pride gets the better of him. I see Franklin winning this I've never really been a fan of either guy but I do have a ton of respect for Rich as a person especially for how he handled Silva murdering him twice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm kinda new to UFC (couple of months now), is Franklin any good? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Never heard of the guy tbh.. :confused05:

·
Registered
31 Posts
it's best not to ask and just sit back and pay attention to peoples posts as thats the best way to get info without being flamed
I can live with flamers, lawls.. Feeling sorry for them is pretty fun :sarcastic12:
Anyway, let's not get offtopic hehe. I'll also go to the most reliable source EVAR: Wikipedia, haha :thumb02:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.