Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Martin Kampmann wants fights only against big-name opponents.

"I'd love to fight Dan Hardy," Kampmann (17-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) said. "I think that would make a great fight. I heard he doesn't have an opponent right now, so that could be a great opportunity."

Hardy (23-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) suffered his first UFC loss in March when he fell short in points against St-Pierre at UFC 111. However, the British fighter is expected to be a featured competitor at October's UFC 120 event in London. Officials initially wanted to match Hardy against Dustin Hazelett at the Spike TV-televised event, but Hazelett's upcoming wedding left him unavailable for an October fight date.

However, Kampmann, who's now 4-1 since his drop from middleweight to welterweight, said the timeframe works perfectly for him.

"I'm going to Denmark here in the summer," said Kampmann, who topped highly regarded Paulo Thiago via unanimous decision this past Saturday at UFC 115 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. "I'm coming back sometime in mid-August, so I'd like to fight preferably again in late October or early November. I heard that's when he's lined up, so if he doesn't have an opponent, that would be a great fight."

"That's the type of guy I want. He's ranked high at welterweight, so that would be a great fight."

Despite a near 2-to-1 underdog, Kampmann showed a much-improved ground game and wore down Thiago, who had posted previous wins over the likes of contenders Koscheck and Mike Swick. Kampmann is pleased with his performance but just wishes he had an extra 30 seconds of fight time.

"I was really happy with my win," Kampmann said. "I was really happy with my performance. ... I just wish I had a little more time because I think I could have finished him."

source mmajunkie

I think Hardy takes it, i personally believe hes a better striker and i think that's where the fight will be won should it take place

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I think he picks an easy fight here.

I don't see where Dan Hardy should have an advantage in this fight..

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
What are you lot talking about!?... This would make a great fight. Hardy has plenty to offer Kampmann and vice versa. I really hope it happens. I love the way both these guys fight.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Kampmann would undoubtedly win a unanimous decision. Hardy is the msot overrated fighter in all of Mixed Martial Arts right now. He's tough as hell, I'll give him that much, but he honestly has ZERO business being in the top 10 Welterweights. Paulo Thiago in my opinion is just as tough, if not tougher than Hardy, and Kampmann completely dominated Thiago. Hardy doesn't have the ground game to contend with Kampmann anyway, so I imagine it will be fairly easy for the Hitman.

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
Kampmann - Hardy would be sweet in England since I plan og traveling there from Denmark to catch the show :)

Who else could Martin take aim at if not Hardy? He seems like one of the most obvious opponents even though I would love to see Kampmann - Fitch...
Not a fight that Kampmann would be any kind of favorite in but one I would love to see anyway... Kampmann just seems to be so good at adapting to whoever he's fighting...

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im confused here, eays fight? Hardy has sufficient tdd to keep it on the feet, a great chin and better stirking so wheres the easy fight exactly?

Last time i saw Kampmann fight a stand up fighter, i remember watching an ass whooping, id like to see him fight Hardy in this so called "easy fight"

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'd LOVE to see this fight. It'd be absolutely awesome.

I'd have Kampmann winning it by decision. Hardy, despite having power, isn't that technical a striker. Still though, it's a fight that's very, very close and I like both guys.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Kampmann - Hardy would be sweet in England since I plan og traveling there from Denmark to catch the show :)

Who else could Martin take aim at if not Hardy? He seems like one of the most obvious opponents even though I would love to see Kampmann - Fitch...
Not a fight that Kampmann would be any kind of favorite in but one I would love to see anyway... Kampmann just seems to be so good at adapting to whoever he's fighting...
If Daley was still in the UFC I would love to see a rematch. I can't believe he didn't went on the ground with him. What he did with Thiago was just amazing. I never expected that!

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
If Daley was still in the UFC I would love to see a rematch. I can't believe he didn't went on the ground with him. What he did with Thiago was just amazing. I never expected that!
Being Danish and therefor a big fan of Kampmanns i was carefully optimistic. But nothing prepared me for how he controlled that guy on the ground... Thiago's BJJ only helped him get out of those submissions otherwise he was completely overshadowed in every aspect of his game...
Really impressed by Kampmann, and a national pride to go along :)

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Easy fight? what a load of bull. Hardy has the edge in stand up, Kampmann edges wrestling. Kampmann's sub is obviously better but Hardy's sub defense is pretty good too. I think it's a great fight possibly even a co-main event in England.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Was very impressed with Kampmann Vs Thiago, should be an excellent fight. Martin I think twice tried to take Daley down but probably should of tried harder, a very good match up for both fighters.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Im confused here, eays fight? Hardy has sufficient tdd to keep it on the feet, a great chin and better stirking so wheres the easy fight exactly?

Last time i saw Kampmann fight a stand up fighter, i remember watching an ass whooping, id like to see him fight Hardy in this so called "easy fight"
Dan Hardy's striking isn't even close to Paul Daley's. Kampmann would pick Hardy apart standing and is a good enough grappler to take Hardy down. Hardy is tough so he could probably ride it to a decision and may land a lucky shot but its Kampmann's fight to lose.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Martin Kampmann wants fights only against big-name opponents.

"I'd love to fight Dan Hardy," Kampmann (17-3 MMA, 8-2 UFC) said. "I think that would make a great fight. I heard he doesn't have an opponent right now, so that could be a great opportunity."

Hardy (23-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) suffered his first UFC loss in March when he fell short in points against St-Pierre at UFC 111. However, the British fighter is expected to be a featured competitor at October's UFC 120 event in London. Officials initially wanted to match Hardy against Dustin Hazelett at the Spike TV-televised event, but Hazelett's upcoming wedding left him unavailable for an October fight date.

However, Kampmann, who's now 4-1 since his drop from middleweight to welterweight, said the timeframe works perfectly for him.

"I'm going to Denmark here in the summer," said Kampmann, who topped highly regarded Paulo Thiago via unanimous decision this past Saturday at UFC 115 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. "I'm coming back sometime in mid-August, so I'd like to fight preferably again in late October or early November. I heard that's when he's lined up, so if he doesn't have an opponent, that would be a great fight."

"That's the type of guy I want. He's ranked high at welterweight, so that would be a great fight."

Despite a near 2-to-1 underdog, Kampmann showed a much-improved ground game and wore down Thiago, who had posted previous wins over the likes of contenders Koscheck and Mike Swick. Kampmann is pleased with his performance but just wishes he had an extra 30 seconds of fight time.

"I was really happy with my win," Kampmann said. "I was really happy with my performance. ... I just wish I had a little more time because I think I could have finished him."

source mmajunkie

I think Hardy takes it, i personally believe hes a better striker and i think that's where the fight will be won should it take place
I can see it now.... Kampmann schools Hardly and wins a decision. the next day the Hardly nut huggers fill the blogs with angry comments that all say Kampmann wouldn't stand and slug it out and there fore his win is tainted. Hilarious.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Dan Hardy is funny, he became highly overrated because he got the biggest win of his career over a contender of last resort who was also highly overrated (Swick). Seriously I thought after GSP crushed him the Hardy hype would die but and I thought after the destruction of Thiago the fact that Kampmann is still a top 170lb fighter despite the Daley loss would be obvious and yet despite both of these things people actually believe Hardy has a chance outside a punchers chance.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Kampmann is a solid, well-rounded fighter. He also has a very good chin. Martin can bang too so it sounds like it would be a good fight. I think Hardy would get takendown and submitted. GSP had trouble subbing Hardy but I think Kampmann's Jits is a little tighter than GSP's. Martin would probably get a RNC on Dan...

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
...Kampmann is a solid, well-rounded fighter. He also has a very good chin. Martin can bang too so it sounds like it would be a good fight. I think Hardy would get takendown and submitted. GSP had trouble subbing Hardy but I think Kampmann's Jits is a little tighter than GSP's. Martin would probably get a RNC on Dan...
GSP has good jitz he just doesn't like to risk positioning to go for a sub. GSP is all about controlling the fight.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
Great fight if it happens, Kampmann really impressed me in the Thiago fight, he tooled Thiago at his own game and Thiago is a pretty strong dude, i never thought he would completly shut him out like that.

I think Hardy has the slight edge on the feet and more power in his hands, but Kampmann will own him on the floor. it will be fun to see and hopefully il be there.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I think Kampmann would sub Hardy. He had Thiago in some near subs, Hardy wont be able to live with that sort of aggressive grappling.

On the feet I think they are fairly even, Hardy is overrated.

·
Banned
439 Posts
Wow, I can't believe some people actually think Hardy's stand up is better than Kampmann's. Kampmann's is a solid techinical striker, as to where Hardy's only hope in the stand up is a solid punch to the chin. If this fight happens and I hope it does, I see Martin winning the stand up and finishing the fight with a choke.

Someone mentioned him fighting Fitch but I don't think he's quite ready for Jon yet. Fitch would take him down and maul him on the ground. He's got good jitz but Fitch is just a machine and very difficult to submit.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts