1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC 116: Roy Nelson vs Cheick Kongo planned for July 3

by Jesse Holland on Apr 25, 2010 4:09 AM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/25/1443016/ufc-116-roy-nelson-vs-cheick-kongo

Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Season 10 Champion Roy Nelson (15-4) will continue his climb up the ranks of the UFC heavyweight division against yet another hard-hitting striker when he tangles with Cheick Kongo at UFC 116 on July 3 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"Big Country" confirmed an earlier report by Fighter's Only through his official Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Nelson endeared himself to casual MMA fans (not really) by pounding out Kimbo Slice during the Spike TV reality show. After airmailing Brendan Schaub back to Denver at last December's TUF 10 Finale, the portly powerhouse put Stefan Struve on queer street at UFC Fight Night 21 just last month.

He continually talks about moving on to bigger and better things -- and Kongo certainly fits that bill.

Star-divide

The hulking Parisian suffered a disappointing submission defeat to Frank Mir at UFC 107 back on Dec. 12. The loss was his second straight and all but knocked him out of the running for a future division title shot.

Unfazed, Kongo went back to doing what he does best -- beating people up. His first victim was Paul "The Headhunter" Buentello, who was mugged for the better part of two rounds, eventually succumbing to strikes early in the third frame.

Kongo appears to be back on track -- but will Nelson abandon his newfound striking attack to exploit Kongo's submission defense?

Should be an interesting match-up.

UFC 116 is set to be headlined by returning heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, as he tries to quell the uprising of undefeated division contender Shane Carwin. Yoshihiro Akiyama and Wanderlei Silva will also square off in a battle of sexy vs. psycho.

Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for future updates on this still-developing fight card.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
This fight will be perfect to introduce some ******* buddies to mma. It will also make an awesome BJJ commercial. Because the guy who looks like everybody's fat brother in law is going to dominate and choke out the guy who looks like the ultimate warrior.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Wow, I'm excited for this one! Definitely a good fight. I'd give the edge to Nelson cuz he has solid stand up...but mostly because he actually has a ground game, however, I wanna see how he fairs against the gate keeper cuz he's not easy to keep down.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Kongo by KO round 2. Nelson's takedowns aren't amazing. Kongo TDD isn't shit, it's his ground game. I see this being a toe to toe match up with Kongo winning the exchanges.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
If Roy can win this one standing, I'll quit making Jokes about his lardbelly and give him some respect. If he loses I think he should grab weight watchers for a sponsor and head for welter weight.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Kongo is in a very small of group of fighters that I root against. The chest bump thing kills me, Sammy Sosa wannabe, but I think Kongo gets the TD and reigns down with GnP. He's stronger and faster than Roy, but I'll be damn sure be cheering for the belly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The funny thing is I absolutely hated most of Roy's fights in the house when he was on TUF. He had the same strategy of just laying on people's faces and punching them in the head. It's like Rampage even said, "It's like having the moon layin' on you. Nobody can lift that." (Not an actual quote, but that was the gist of it.)
Both his fights since then, however, were actually impressive. He's definitely got a lot of power behind those hands. If he beats Kongo standing up, that would be awesome.

·
The Reverend
1,889 Posts
i think most of you dont know past fights.... Roy took down Arlovski and damn near submitted him when AA was relavent.... he just gassed and took too many shots to the head.... Who has Kongo stopped from taking him down? i cant think of anyone.... and hell Carmello Marerro beat kongo..... CARMELLO ******* MARERRO!!!!!! unless Kongo lands one of them huge rights (and he most certainly could!!!) i dont see him doing anything but being on his back and getting submitted.

granted mma math never works.... but you have a fat guy with a great ground game and decent stand up vs. a chiseled guy who has great stand up and NO ground game.... i think we see how this will go...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.