Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night at 7 pm (that's EDT)

For the first time since 2007, Spike TV will air a live broadcast of the UFC's weigh-ins.

The UFC's longtime cable partner will air Friday's official UFC 116 fighter weigh-ins beginning at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).

Spike TV officials today announced the plans while also confirming a recent MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) report that a light-heavyweight fight between Seth Petruzelli and Ricardo Romero has been promoted to Saturday's "UFC Prelims" special.

UFC 116 takes place Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view, but Spike TV broadcasts a live two-fight "UFC Prelims" special prior to the PPV broadcast.

Initially, the one-hour special was slated to feature heavyweights Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer and middleweights Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic. But as MMAjunkie.com first reported, Grove recently made disparaging comments about Spike TV and their involvement in "The Ultimate Fighter" reality series, and as a result, he lost his spot on the night's Spike TV broadcast.

Other preliminary-card bouts could make the "UFC Prelims" broadcast if time permits.

Saturday's weigh-ins feature all 22 event competitors, including headliners Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin, as well as co-headliners Yoshihiro Akiyama and Chris Leben.

The latest UFC 116 card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. interim champ Shane Carwin (heavyweight title-unification bout)
* Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Chris Leben
* Matt Brown vs. Chris Lytle
* Stephan Bonnar vs. Krzysztof Soszynski
* Kurt Pellegrino vs. George Sotiropoulos

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Brendan Schaub vs. Chris Tuchscherer
* Seth Petruzelli vs. Ricardo Romero

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-aired)

* Kendall Grove vs. Goran Reljic
* Dave Branch vs. Gerald Harris
* Forrest Petz vs. Daniel Roberts
* Jon Madsen vs. Karlos Vemola
Link

·
Registered
619 Posts
There's a thread about it in the TUF forum, HERE.
Thanks!

Hmm, I dont see what the big deal was. Who did not know all that already? Dana even mentioned that he has no control over it. I wonder if they are on the same contract with SPIKE just having the option to renew. You would think now that the UFC is powerful they could renegotiate and get more control. SPIKE probably had influence in pulling him of the prelim show. Obvious Im sure.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Will be fun to see those two behemoths on the big screen, and not on the computer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Weigh ins,, Brock vs Carwin, they looked the same size.

These guys looked almost identical, I was so SO suprised,, I know Brock will weigh a little more than shane tommorow night, but damn they were WAY closer to the same size than I thought they would be...

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They weighed in like this:

MAIN CARD

* Brock Lesnar (265) vs. Shane Carwin (265)
* Yoshihiro Akiyama (185) vs. Chris Leben (186)
* Stephan Bonnar (205) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (205)
* Kurt Pellegrino (155) vs. George Sotiropoulos (156)
* Matt Brown (171) vs. Chris Lytle (170)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

* Brendan Schaub (238) vs. Chris Tuchscherer (255)
* Seth Petruzelli (205) vs. Ricardo Romero (206)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Un-aired)

* Kendall Grove (184) vs. Goran Reljic (186)
* Dave Branch (185) vs. Gerald Harris (185)
* Forrest Petz (170) vs. Daniel Roberts (169)
* Jon Madsen (254) vs. Karlos Vemola (222)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) was on scene and reporting live from today's official UFC 116 fighter weigh-ins, where all 22 event competitors successful made weight for Saturday's show.

Today's festivities took place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and online and via Spike TV.

Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and interim title-holder Shane Carwin both weighed 265 pounds for their headlining title-unification bout.

Additionally, co-headliners Yoshihiro Akiyama (185) and Chris Leben (186) also made weight.

The proceedings were largely a pedestrian affair. Again pulling in thousands of fans, the weigh-ins went largely as expected with no real surprises. Even Seth Petruzelli, who was introduced by UFC emcee Joe Rogan "as the man who single handedly brought down EliteXC," had a rather tame weigh-in. That's because his "little person" wasn't allowed to join him on the stage.

However, Petruzelli promises a can't-miss cage entrance tomorrow in his Spike TV-televised preliminary-card fight.
Link

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Wow they are the same weight and everything which means after they both rehydrate, they should still be around the same weight. I also didn't know that the UFC signed Seth Petruzelli. I m interested to see him fight. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
But did you guys see, that Shane was wearing shoes^^ Nice trick from Dana!
Yeah I saw that when I rewatched it, but I already knew Shane was a couple inches shorter. I was just shocked that they were as close in size as they were.

Carwin will weigh more he is cutting 20 pounds brock is only cutting a couple this time.
Carwin cut from 278, and like you said, Brock just needed to skip a meal to make weight. It will be interesting to see how they guys handle each others weight, strength and power.

If Brock is smart he needs to be ready to keep the pressure on Shane, even if he fails on a takedown attempt, he needs to keep driving and keep Shane pressed against the fence.

Shane on the other hand needs to establish his distance standing or keep Brock in the clinch. He also needs to be prepared to get out from under someone Brock's size. I think Brock will get at least one takedown...if the fight goes that far, LOL.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Brocks back still looks much bigger. But both men look amazing. I cant wait for that!

Kryzstonfski did a good diät. He is ripped like a ww.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts