Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva has revealed he predicted he would pull off a submission against Chael Sonnen this past weekend at UFC 117 after a conversation with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, explaining everything worked out for him again.

Speaking via GracieMag.com, Silva was first asked what, if anything, he had learned from the fight with Sonnen.

“I feel we learn in all our fights, in victory or defeat. We learn from everything, in every way, whatever the situation may be. What people sometimes forget is that Gad is above it all. I didn’t stop thinking of him for a moment, and he didn’t let me down. Of course, we have to train and all, but it’s really important to have faith. I remember having looked up between rounds and asked him to guide my movements and he enlightened me. It’s even hard to say something like that to a magazine like Gracie. A lot of folks will read it and think I’m playing to the media. But anyone who watched the fight could see all was lost and there were just two minutes to go. I felt a very strong presence from God there and that was important.”

“Everyone saw that he tapped. But you can understand how he’d behave like that in the heat of the fight. I’ve made some mistakes and everyone does, nobody’s perfect. The important part was that we had a good showing and the crowd liked it. I feel it’s a fight that will make history, we’re both to be congratulated. Now each of us will go to his respective home to see the family and we’ll work on improving.”

Silva went on to explain the reason why he wore a gi to the octagon that night, saying it was a tribute to his friends and training partners, the Nogueira brothers.

“I’m a Nogueira brothers black belt, and I’d give my life for them. I say that and I don’t need to patronize them nor them me. Rodrigo is my master and Rogério is a brother and teacher to me. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be here today. I decided to put on the gi as a tribute to them and for the things I’d said. I told Rodrigo I’d get the submission this fight. I told him that. Everything worked out yet again.”

Silva will now have the rest of the year off to rest, recuperate and heal his injured ribs, an injury that likely hindered his performance in the build-up to his fight with Sonnen

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Amazing how he set that up in the final two minutes in the championship round. Chael couldn't finish in 23 minutes where Anderson had less than 10 seconds to execute and finish...

Amazing fight...

Reactions: Nefilim777

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Noooooooooo..... why are Silva and his mob saying all this horrible stuff after the fight? Its really quite upsetting for me. Bruised ribs. Soares smug face giving Sonnen 0.3% credit. Now he attributes "Gad" to his amazing submission at the end. Why? Why? Why? Anderson, my man, take a leaf out of Lyotos book on how to remain quiet.

Its hard when your idol speaks nastiness. Very hard. I want them to do nothing but give Sonnen props and shut up. That's the most honourable thing they could do right now.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Noooooooooo..... why are Silva and his mob saying all this horrible stuff after the fight? Its really quite upsetting for me. Bruised ribs. Soares smug face giving Sonnen 0.3% credit. Now he attributes "Gad" to his amazing submission at the end. Why? Why? Why? Anderson, my man, take a leaf out of Lyotos book on how to remain quiet.

Its hard when your idol speaks nastiness. Very hard. I want them to do nothing but give Sonnen props and shut up. That's the most honourable thing they could do right now.

Why cant he attribute his win to god?

thread takenover in about.... NOW!:laugh:

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Anderson kneed in front of Sonnen after the 5 rounds. I couldn't believe he really did that to this jerk. All Sonnen did was standing there instead of helping Silva up, or at least kneeing down as well.

He's a very religious guy, so I understand why he says Thank you to him and gives him the props for winning this fight.

I also believe him about the rips thing.

Sonnen deserves nothing! He still acted like a jerk in the post fight press conference.

All I wanted to hear from Sonnen was a little, at least a little apology in the press conference for all the crap he said about andy. The guy got only good words from Anderson, wich he never deserved.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Anderson kneed in front of Sonnen after the 5 rounds. I couldn't believe he really did that to this jerk. All Sonnen did was standing there instead of helping Silva up, or at least kneeing down as well.

He's a very religious guy, so I understand why he says Thank you to him and gives him the props for winning this fight.

Sonnen deserves nothing! He still acted like a jerk in the post fight press conference.

All I wanted to hear from Sonnen was a little, at least a little apology in the press conference for all the crap he said about andy. The guy got only good words from Anderson, wich he never deserved.
I dont disagree. The kneeling at the end of the fight moved me. I'm not of the belief that Silva is arrogant at all. It's just the ribs thing and now this. It would have all been better if it was unsaid... at least for a few weeks. In my opinion of course. He did win after all. That should be enough for now.

But, hey, I understand your respect for these guys and your dislike for dudes like Sonnen. No point digging up this old debate. :)

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts

I can't agree with this, i thought he said all the right things in the press conference. And as for the kneeling thing - If you were 2minutes away from achieving a life long ambition and then got it taken away from you, would you really be all smiles and sunshine immediately after the fight?
I didn't take Chael after the fight as being a jerk, i just thought he looked devastated, which is absolutely fair enough.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Soojooko, if the ribs things is true, and i believe it is, he should refer to that.
Besides, he´s very religious, why wouldn´t he thank his Gad for helping him if he really believes it?
He´s just speaking his heart, he´s not insulting Sonnen or anyone else in the meanwhile.

Reactions: Nefilim777

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I don't know why he told Rogan about the rib injury in the post fight interview. He should just have shut up and let somebody else from his camp leak out the information afterwards, like most fighters do. Makes you seem more humble.

Anyway, since he'll need some time to heal that rib, it means Sonnen vs Belfort for the #1 contender spot seems more logical than before. I'd still prefer though if Anderson defended against somebody else before taking on Sonnen again, just to get a bit of variation.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Everyone knows I'm a die hard Silva fan and I was very pleased with the actions of both men in the end. The immediate post fight was a little rough from Sonnen but why shouldn't it be? He was 90 seconds from beating the best fighter in the world and capturing his life long dream... I would have been upset too. He didn't help Anderson up or kneel as well, but he did hug him when he stood up.

As for the press conference, I would have had less respect for Chael had he backed down. He didn't make excuses, he never even referenced the tap out, he simply said. "I got the silver medal and my heart is broken."

To me, both guys are up the scale in respect after this fight. They are without question the Machida/Shogun equivalent of 185... no one is taking either one of them down anytime soon!

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
The question is would Anderson Silva have Kneeled down if he lost the fight? I dont think so.

Also why is it when BJ Penns ribs were fucked for the Matt Hughes fight people call BJ a crybaby and making up excuses, but when anderson silva immediately talks about a rib injury to rogan post fight, hes still hailed as the king.

This just makes it sound as if it was silvas gameplan to let sonnen take him down for 23 minutes and work for a sub. I can just never be a fan of this guy. I love to watch him fight, he is some thing else, but his personality and arrogance ruin it for me.

·
Registered
937 Posts

I have to disagree a little about Sonnen. I hate this guy more than anyone, but I was amazed at his restraint, especially given his track record. He was a minute away from wearing the belt, and he got stupid and lazy and lost it all. This is one of the few times I would have forgiven him for saying something spectacularly douchey, and for once, he didn't.

I also have to disagree about the religious thing, it bugs the shit out of me. I find it incredibly hypocritical when fighters say that kind of thing. So God gets all the credit when you win, but none of the blame if you lose?

I never heard a fighter yet who lost, step up and say, 'man I was praying to God, and he let me down, I lost', but that is exactly the same logic fighters who thank God when they win are using.

I believe in the old Greek saying; 'The gods help those who help themselves.' God didn't win that fight, Silva won it, and Sonnen lost it. Leave God out of it, you sound like someone who lacks even basic understanding of cause and effect if you don't.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I can't agree with this, i thought he said all the right things in the press conference. And as for the kneeling thing - If you were 2minutes away from achieving a life long ambition and then got it taken away from you, would you really be all smiles and sunshine immediately after the fight?
I didn't take Chael after the fight as being a jerk, i just thought he looked devastated, which is absolutely fair enough.
He said all the right things?? He didn't even gave Andy one single apology for all the crap he said about him for months. He wanted to keep fighting him at the press conference. He said he doesn't apologies for anything he said about Andy. That for me is downright disrespectful!

I can't stand those people. First I thought Sonnen was a funny guy and all, but not even admitting that some stuff he said was just wrong is just plain asshole like.

The kneeing thing was a Respect thing! Sonnen showed no respect for Anderson hanging in there until the end. Silva however Respected Sonnen's performance with on of the most Respectful you things anybody can do to somebody. Kneeing down in front of them!

Thats shows you the huge difference on the man side of these two human beings.

The question is would Anderson Silva have Kneeled down if he lost the fight? I dont think so.

Also why is it when BJ Penns ribs were fucked for the Matt Hughes fight people call BJ a crybaby and making up excuses, but when anderson silva immediately talks about a rib injury to rogan post fight, hes still hailed as the king.

This just makes it sound as if it was silvas gameplan to let sonnen take him down for 23 minutes and work for a sub. I can just never be a fan of this guy. I love to watch him fight, he is some thing else, but his personality and arrogance ruin it for me.
No! The question is, would have Chael Sonnen kneeled down if he had won the fight?? I think we all know the answer right!

Anderson is something special! Sonnen is a paler as a human.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
He said all the right things?? He didn't even gave Andy one single apology for all the crap he said about him for months. He wanted to keep fighting him at the press conference. He said he doesn't apologies for anything he said about Andy. That for me is downright disrespectful!

I can't stand those people. First I thought Sonnen was a funny guy and all, but not even admitting that some stuff he said was just wrong is just plain asshole like.

The kneeing thing was a Respect thing! Sonnen showed no respect for Anderson hanging in there until the end. Silva however Respected Sonnen's performance with on of the most Respectful you things anybody can do to somebody. Kneeing down in front of them!

Thats shows you the huge difference on the man side of these two human beings.

No! The question is, would have Chael Sonnen kneeled down if he had won the fight?? I think we all know the answer right!

Anderson is something special! Sonnen is a paler as a human.
Chael wouldnt of kneeled down because that isnt his thing. There are other ways of showing some one respect and gratitude rather than bowing down before them. You can shake hands, hug them, congratulate them, you dont have to kneel down. Giving some one a hug and congratulating them is just as respectful. And i know Anderson wouldnt of knelt down if he had been beat.

"He said all the right things?? He didn't even gave Andy one single apology for all the crap he said about him for months. "

Right. Did Anderson apologise to Damian Maia for trying to humiliate him in the octagon and getting personal by calling him names that night? Did he apologise to his fans or the spectators that night? No, he didnt. I dont hear people mentioning this. IMO Anderson isnt this respectful human being you're making him out to be.

Guys like Machida, JDS, those are guys i respect because i can tell right away that they are genuine guys, Anderson, not so much.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Right. Did Anderson apologise to Damian Maia for trying to humiliate him in the octagon and getting personal by calling him names that night? Did he apologise to his fans or the spectators that night? No, he didnt. I dont hear people mentioning this. IMO Anderson isnt this respectful human being you're making him out to be.

On the Maia issue, I agree that Anderson was very disrespectful towards him in this fight, but I think a lot of that comes back to rival class difference in Brazil, its a more home grown thing, there seems to be deep resentment there. For anyone who lives on this side of the world it seems a kin to West Ham playing Millwall or Liverpool and Everton, or in my terms, Leinster v Munster. Its a HUGE rivalry.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Anderson goes over to Chael and knees in front of him, after all the things he said about him. Thats more then enough isn't it? Thats shows you what a guy anderson is! You can't get more then that!

Chael would have never even bothered to go to Silva and at least shake his hand. He would have screamed in the microphone from Joe Rogan, that he just retired Anderson Silva.

But you can believe what you want!

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
On the Maia issue, I agree that Anderson was very disrespectful towards him in this fight, but I think a lot of that comes back to rival class difference in Brazil, its a more home grown thing, there seems to be deep resentment there. For anyone who lives on this side of the world it seems a kin to West Ham playing Millwall or Liverpool and Everton, or in my terms, Leinster v Munster. Its a HUGE rivalry.
Yea, i see what you're saying but ive always thought football hooliganism is just ******* retarded. I really just dont understand it.

Anderson goes over to Chael and knees in front of him, after all the things he said about him. Thats more then enough isn't it? Thats shows you what a guy anderson is! You can't get more then that!

Chael would have never even bothered to go to Silva and at least shake his hand. He would have screamed in the microphone from Joe Rogan, that he just retired Anderson Silva.

But you can believe what you want!
So because he kneels down to chael that makes up for every thing else? The Maia incident? Immediately mentioning a rib injury to rogan trying to discredit sonnens performance?

Chael would of gone up to anderson and shook his hand if he had won, im sure of it. Im no fan of chael, some of the things he says are ridiculous, some funny, but i can also tell that he is trolling! I bet you chael sits at home watching the shit that he says infont of the camera and has a laugh. Deep down, he doesnt hate anderson silva, he wouldnt of ridiculed him if he had won the fight and said he retired him, he would of gave credit to Anderson for being in such a war. Deep down, i can see Chael has great respect for Anderson.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts