Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

How Hot Was 117?

• 10/10: One of The Greatest Fight Cards Evah!

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • 9/10: Stellar!

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • 8/10: Very Good, Aside From a Dud Or Two

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • 7/10: Entertaining but nothing special

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 6/10: Watchable

Votes: 1 1.4%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was easily the best UFC card I have ever seen. This one will be etched into my memory forever.

Great submissions, great stand-up bouts and great action. You couldn't really ask for more.

Anderson Silva finally had his first fight in the UFC left it all out in the octagon. He definitely earned my respect tonight (With the exception of his comment regarding his ribs). Chael also earned my respect and backed up his trash talk.

It's going to be a major uphill battle to top this card. :)

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
the starter, the main event and the struve fights were great

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
It was a great card for sure, best ever? Probably not.

Fitch will make any card I watch less exciting.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Rate UFC 117!

Let's lift the suspense right away: I thought this was one of the best PPV's the UFC has ever put on, and that's saying something!

Right now, I feel like Sonnen/Silva is just about the greatest fight I've ever scene. I rank this up there with Korean Zombie/Garcia and the first Leonard/Hearns. Forreal.

Aside from Fitch, every fight was a barn burner. Dude, so amped after this PPV....

Vote NOW.

·
Registered
60 Posts
9/10

one of the best cards i have seen in awhile. Enjoyed every fight (yes even Fitch-Alves)

And you could not script a more perfect ending in the main event

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
8.5/10 fitch fight ruined it for me

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Liked every fight except Guida vs Anjos, Guida bores the shit out of me. So I gave it a 8.5-9.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Guida bores you, yet you have Fitch as your avatar. Just thought that was funny. Neither one really bores me but I know they do bore a lot of people.
Liked every fight except Guida vs Anjos, Guida bores the shit out of me. So I gave it a 8.5-9.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
9/10 for me. Epic main event, and the whole card was brilliant. The only fight that was remotely disappointing was the Fitch-Alves fight, but even that was an interesting battle. Fitch is not the most entertaining of fighters, but I love the way he manages to impose his will on all his opponents bar GSP, and I'm looking forward to seeing him get a rematch against GSP, though I'd much rather see GSP take on Anderson.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought all the fights were great, even fitch and guida's fights. Maybe I had too much to drink?:dunno:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thoughts on UFC 117

Well the last fight was the most entertaining fight i have witnessed in a long time....I thought Silva was done soo many times but pulled out the W....It makes you wonder if he expected to be taken down knowing Chael doesnt stop moving..played alil MMA rope a dope...As Silva didnt have a scratch and some of those punches looked like they did some damage.....On the other fights....NO WAY IN HELL can JDS take on Brock if he couldnt finish a fatgiue pot belly guy like Nelson he has no chance in Koin brock as his last fight proved he can take some of the heaviest hands (despite his backwards turtle dive) against carwin. And Fitch....I HOPE HE NEVER FIGHTS AGAIN...his style is a complete BORE fest and it doesnt change, he was bragging about finishing alves faster then GSP did, fitch has no chance at ever beating GSP as long as GSP continues to **** everyone he wrestles. I dont see Fitch ever toppling the WW divison.....Everything lived up too the hype and some it makes the Toney vs Randy fight that much sweeter as THERE WAS NO 1 IN THESE FORUMS or ANY OTHER that couldve forseen such a domination over one of the most respected title holders EVER!!!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Well the last fight was the most entertaining fight i have witnessed in a long time....I thought Silva was done soo many times but pulled out the W....It makes you wonder if he expected to be taken down knowing Chael doesnt stop moving..played alil MMA rope a dope...As Silva didnt have a scratch and some of those punches looked like they did some damage.....On the other fights....NO WAY IN HELL can JDS take on Brock if he couldnt finish a fatgiue pot belly guy like Nelson he has no chance in Koin brock as his last fight proved he can take some of the heaviest hands (despite his backwards turtle dive) against carwin. And Fitch....I HOPE HE NEVER FIGHTS AGAIN...his style is a complete BORE fest and it doesnt change, he was bragging about finishing alves faster then GSP did, fitch has no chance at ever beating GSP as long as GSP continues to **** everyone he wrestles. I dont see Fitch ever toppling the WW divison.....Everything lived up too the hype and some it makes the Toney vs Randy fight that much sweeter as THERE WAS NO 1 IN THESE FORUMS or ANY OTHER that couldve forseen such a domination over one of the most respected title holders EVER!!!
Why exactly would the more superior fighter in a lot of peoples eyes, with better stand up, in MMA, who a lot of people thought would just walk through Chael...

Rope a dope?

Rope a dope is a boxing term because it can work in boxing. You can take a lot of punches in boxing and be fine, you have more rounds, Your opponent gasses faster and is a lot more dangerous than you. That is why rope a dope is used.

Not letting a fighter than has worse stand up and less reach and only has one way to win the fight. Now if Chael did it to anderson, maybe you would be right. Not the other way around.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts