Votes: 9 29.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/23/1484381/ufc-117-silva-vs-sonnen-fight-card

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/23/1484373/ufc-118-edgar-vs-penn-2-fight-card

I cant wait for the up and coming ufc events. I came across these two and for me its 118 because im a Bj Penn nuthugger and cannot wait for the rematch. Both cards are seriously stacked tho (for the moment anyway). Silva v sonnen is a solid main event, i got silva taking it via tko or ko in either rounds 1 or 2 but both cards have some great match ups and many relevant matches in terms of title shots etc.

Which of the 2 are you guys most looking forward to.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the 116 card.
I admit the ufc 116 main event is going to be one of the biggest main events in the ufc history but with the exception of that fight, theres not a lot on thats really relevant imo. Dont get me wrong im a big fan of both akiyama and silva but i think with the exception of the main event ufc 116 is no way near as good as 117 or 118.

I must admit i cant wait for the Lesnar fight but i think as a whole card the ufc 117 and 118 are both better cards all round.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
well looking at it on the basis of if I could only watch 5 fights from ether card then its really dam close.

My 5 picks in order would be

1. JDS vs Nelson (117)
2. Florian vs Maynard (118)
3. Silva vs Sonnen (117)
4. Nate vs Palhares (118)

As for my 5th pick, you could flip a coin between Penn/Edgar (118) and Fitch/Alves (117) so it would have to be a split decision, in favor of 117 because it has my number 1st & 3rd picks over my 2nd and 4th.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm having a hard time deciding, I like both cards. The fights I'm most excited for from 117 are Alves vs. Fitch and RDA vs. Guida, and from 118 they're Kenflo vs. Maynard and Davis vs. Diaz. Anyone else looking foward to these fights as much as me?

I also want to see the Penn/Edgar rematch, the lopsided Couture/Toney fight, the Silva/Sonnen fight and JDS/Nelson.

In all, both cards have some great fights on them.

·
Registered
349 Posts
118 by a blowout IMO Edgar vs Penn 2/Maynard vs Florian/ Toney vs Couture/Diaz vs Davis I mean for 117 Really JDS vs Nelson and Fitch vs Alves are really the only fights that intrigue me and Almedia vs Hughes just sound so boring to me.Guida vs Dos Anjos should be good to but the fights on 118 are all more intriguing then 117

·
Registered
60 Posts
118 for me for the sole reason of "Couture vs Toney" and the Edgar vs Penn fight is just the icing on the cake.

To be honest though I look forward to all UFC events in equal measure but any card with "The natural" on it just makes me go weak at the knees..

I cant wait to see Couture take Toney down and start pounding his face in..
Even though Toneys wrestling is at "gold belt level" I can see him getting smashed. And I will love every minute of it:)

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
yep, pretty weird.
on topic: ufc is packing some good cards exept ufc 115. after that one, I'm just gonna enjoy my time as MMA fan.
I like 115! Liddell vs Franklin isn't the best main Event but should still be a decent watch and the main card below that is awesome.

Cro Cop vs Barry is gonna be awesome, Condit and Macdonald have let one fight go to decision between them in about 35+ fights, Rothwell and Yvel is gonna be a war and Thiago/Kampmann could put Thiago in sight of a title shot! All that and i haven't even mention Griffin/Dunham!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
117 by a mile, both are real good though.

Silva/Sonnen: shit talking 101 from Chael, maybe old Anderson out for this one.

Roy/JDS - entertaining fight, love watching JDS anyway.

Fitch/Alves - great fight.

Then you also get Guida, Thiago Silva, and Hughes on the same card. That is great.

118 : BJ/Frankie fight should be good, but I don't liek how BJ got the rematch right away.

Florian/Maynard - not extremely excited for this one. Maynard could just hold him down. Florian wins he gets a 3rd shot at the belt...doesn't excite me.

Randy/Toney - I will admit, I am interested in seeing this. I want Couture to shut his mouth. It is an interesting fight because Toney is a well know boxer, otherwise I could care less about the actual MMA fight.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Uhm 118 without a doubt. Come on Penn/Edgar 1 was one of the best fights of the year and Anderson Silva's last fight sucked and despite a couple impressive showings Sonnen has never been the bringer of excitement.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I see it like this. 118 is the safer of the 2 cards to be real good. 117 has more potential to be amazing. But if Anderson has another stinker and Fitch wrestles Alves who has no answer for 3 rounds...it could kind of suck. But I go 117 just because it has dynamic fighters, not 4 LWs, a 46 year old, and a boxer wih no fights.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
This isn't even up for debate Anderson Silva, Jon Fitch, and Matt Hughes might have good a good fight but they won't all have great fights. Two of those fights are going to be agony to watch.

For 118 every single fight looks good, Florian/Maynard might be the match of the year. James Toney getting shut the hell up will be fun.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Definitely gonna have to go with 117 on this one. Penn's one of my favorite fighters, but the combination of A. Silva beating Sonnen's face and JDS rocking Nelson with a Werdum uppercut. Hopefully at least. I also wouldn't mind seeing Alves getting knocked out again via upkick against Finch...but I don't see that happening. Alves by Decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.