Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gaethje may have put the final nail in the coffin for any hopes of seeing the long awaited Ferguson vs Khabib Nurmagomedov showdown at the empty VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena in Jacksonville, Florida, on Saturday night, but he did so in the most honest way possible. Utilising vicious punching power and a steady barrage of debilitating leg kicks, Gaethje gradually wore down Ferguson en route to a technical knockout stoppage 3:39 into the fifth round of their lightweight clash.

Tony Ferguson isn’t human

Ferguson, a bloody and bruised mess at the end, absorbed more damage than many of Gaethje’s former opponents put together taking the shots that have put down the likes of Donald Cerrone, Edson Barboza and James Vick in the past.

A final left jab from Gaethje (22-2, 5-2 UFC) landed flush in the final frame, forcing Ferguson to take a step back and shake his head in hopes of regaining his mind. After watching Ferguson (25-4, 15-2 UFC) get knocked all over the Octagon for the duration of that frame and much of the bout overall, Herb Dean had seen enough, and he stepped in to save “El Cucuy” from any further damage. With that, Ferguson’s 12 fight winning streak, which began in October 2013, had reached its end.

But he was unable to offer anything telling in return with Gaethje adding new found patience to his superb striking accuracy to get the comprehensive win.

Prior to the stoppage, Gaethje arguably won every round against an opponent who had been dominant against all opposition for years. Ferguson’s best moment came late in Round 2, when he wobbled Gaethje with an uppercut just before the horn. For much of the rest of the time, it was Ferguson’s granite chin that kept him afloat, even as Gaethje put him on wobbly legs on multiple occasions.

Gaethje gets his hands on Khabib next

The victory presumably sets up a title unification bout with Nurmagomedov, who was supposed to face Ferguson before being stranded in Russia due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Moments after dispatching Tony Ferguson in the UFC 249 headliner, Justin Gaethje chucked his newly won interim lightweight crown aside. The meaning of the gesture wasn’t difficult to interpret.

“I’m waiting for the real one,” he said.

“This is hard work. I’ve worked since I was four years old. It’s each day at a time for me…and you just have to be better than yesterday. That’s all it is,” Gaethje said.

Add my Twitter if you like what you’re reading @StitchedUp_Blog

Also check out my own blog at stitchedupblog1.wordpress.com

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Gaethje upped his game since arriving in the UFC.

The way Ben Askren needed to but couldn't be bothered with.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gaethje upped his game since arriving in the UFC.

The way Ben Askren needed to but couldn't be bothered with.
The only time Ben Askren truly dropped the ball in terms of technique is his fight against Demian Maia. Granted his fight with Robbie was close but his fight against Jorge was a matter of making the most basic wrestling mistake that I will never stop talking about.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
I found this analysis very helpful.

IMO Tony Ferguson looked low energy and out of it during fight week.

The only time Ben Askren truly dropped the ball in terms of technique is his fight against Demian Maia. Granted his fight with Robbie was close but his fight against Jorge was a matter of making the most basic wrestling mistake that I will never stop talking about.

Where Ben Askren dropped the ball imo is thinking he didn't need to evolve or up his game to deal with higher level competition in the UFC.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He said that he would probably be a social worker if he were not going to be a MMA fighter. He didn't say he was a social worker he was talking about what he went to school for. Saying that is in no way a self-righteous plug by any means.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
He said that he would probably be a social worker if he were not going to be a MMA fighter. He didn't say he was a social worker he was talking about what he went to school for. Saying that is in no way a self-righteous plug by any means.
I didn't say that either. He keeps saying how he was all set to be this wonderful do-gooder social worker—how he's such a good person, yada yada yada.

Truth is, he's a nasty fighter like the rest, with the middle fingers, smack talking, etc. He needs to drop the delusion. Let others make that case.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Gaethje really needs to drop the self-righteous social worker line, though.

There could be a few UFC fighters who currently are, or later became social workers after retiring from the sport.

I think Costa Philippou aspired to become a prison guard, which could be something like a social worker if his motive was to help people.

Justin Wren travelled to africa and later fought to raise awareness of poverty in the country.

Angela Magana got adopted by mexico and might have done some things to help poverty there.

Thiago Santos runs a program that helps children out of his gym.

Francis Ngannou might have done some things to help africans.

Ronda is said to do a lot of charity work behind the scenes she doesn't seek publicity for.

Dustin Poirier does charity work in conjunction with his fight gear.

And so on. A lot of people do things like that which is great to see.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
There could be a few UFC fighters who currently are, or later became social workers after retiring from the sport.

I think Costa Philippou aspired to become a prison guard, which could be something like a social worker if his motive was to help people.

Justin Wren travelled to africa and later fought to raise awareness of poverty in the country.

Angela Magana got adopted by mexico and might have done some things to help poverty there.

Thiago Santos runs a program that helps children out of his gym.

Francis Ngannou might have done some things to help africans.

Ronda is said to do a lot of charity work behind the scenes she doesn't seek publicity for.

Dustin Poirier does charity work in conjunction with his fight gear.

And so on. A lot of people do things like that which is great to see.
Having fostered over a dozen kids (I believe 2 dozen) and adopted 4, I've dealt with them often over the years. Some were great, others were nightmarish. They are just like everyone else, good, bad and ugly.

But Gaethje is just as obnoxious as other fighters. He's no model citizen. He's nasty and belligerent just like the rest. I'm just saying drop the holier than thou act. He keeps comparing himself to the rest, then dropping his social-worker credentials. :sick: If anything he's delusionally self-righteous. I knew that kind all to well. There is nothing more dangerous than a delusional self-righteous social worker.

That said, I knew some fantastic humble ones, that never tooted their own horns.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
Having fostered over a dozen kids (I believe 2 dozen) and adopted 4, I've dealt with them often over the years. Some were great, others were nightmarish. They are just like everyone else, good, bad and ugly.

But Gaethje is just as obnoxious as other fighters. He's no model citizen. He's nasty and belligerent just like the rest. I'm just saying drop the holier than thou act. He keeps comparing himself to the rest, then dropping his social-worker credentials. :sick: If anything he's delusionally self-righteous. I knew that kind all to well. There is nothing more dangerous than a delusional self-righteous social worker.

That said, I knew some fantastic humble ones, that never tooted their own horns.

I 100% agree with you the more the spotlight is on Gaethje the more it seems like his act may not run more than skin deep. Its more like he's reading from a script and trying to follow the narrative laid out for him, than saying what he really feels or thinks.

I'm trying not to be too judgemental. Sometimes people have a way of surprising everyone.

You actually do social/foster work then? That's amazing.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I 100% agree with you the more the spotlight is on Gaethje the more it seems like his act may not run more than skin deep. Its more like he's reading from a script and trying to follow the narrative laid out for him, than saying what he really feels or thinks.

I'm trying not to be too judgemental. Sometimes people have a way of surprising everyone.

You actually do social/foster work then? That's amazing.
My wife and I fostered kids for many years until we were able to adopt 4 and our house was full (legally full). We had to answer to the social workers, both from agencies and the city. 90% were fantastic.

Didn't mean to get too judgmental on G.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gaethje is similar to Chuck Liddell in that he utilizes his wrestling to enhance his sprawl and brawl, aka he utilizes his wrestling for take down defense. The question is whether his wrestling is good enough to counter Khabib's near world level wrestling. As of yet no one has had that skills yet.

·
Premium Member
6,546 Posts
I don't remember seeing anyone shoot a takedown on Justin Gaethje.

That says the most about how good of a wrestler Justin Gaethje is imo.

·
The Title Guy
16,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well remember that Justin Gaethje is a NCAA Division 1 Wrestling All-American so no one is going to engage him in his own game unless said fighter is on pare with him. Of course he's going to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov who is of world level grappling so go figure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts