Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People watch this PPV. It's the last time you will see Hughes holding that belt and hogging it. This time St. Pierre is going to TKO him with strikes in the first round. St. Pierre wasn't ready the first time he faught Hughes, it was his first year in the UFC and he only beat Parisyan and Hieron to get to Hughes. This time he beat Jason Miller, a man who could probably screw up Hughes due to his psycho personality, Frank Trigg, Matt Hughes had trouble against Trigg in a rematch and almost tapped to him, Sean Sherk, St. Pierre destroyed Sherk and Sherk went five rounds with Hughes, and finally and recently BJ Penn, a man who destroyed Matt Hughes in one round. I can't wait to see one of my Canadians holding a title. Open up a bet for this I can't wait to be taking points from the large amount of people betting on Matt Hughes. I'll probably be the only one betting on St. Pierre.

·
Registered
66 Posts
confrontation, I hope your are right man. I wont be able to sleep the night before that fight happens I am going to be so nervous. I cant wait.

·
Registered
222 Posts
GSP may very well win, he is an excellent fighter, but whats this with Hughes hogging the belt? He keeps beating his opponents, you can't hold that against him.

·
Tim Sylvia Sucks
965 Posts
Hughes is overrated and the miletich camp is about lose all three of there belts... excuse me... it might be a while since franklin can't fight until next year and unless some pride fighter challenges sylvia, tim won't have anybody to fight... st. pierre will be champion and anderson silva will be champion... its only a matter of time until the Pitbull is back to reclaim his belt

·
Registered
222 Posts
flourhead said:
Hughes is overrated and the miletich camp is about lose all three of there belts... excuse me... it might be a while since franklin can't fight until next year and unless some pride fighter challenges sylvia, tim won't have anybody to fight... st. pierre will be champion and anderson silva will be champion... its only a matter of time until the Pitbull is back to reclaim his belt

Every one of your predictions may come true but saying Hughes is overrated is wrong IMO, he just keeps winning. One day he will stop winning, that is the nature of being a fighter but until then he's the man. Sylvia is not my favorite fighter, primarily because I don't care for his style but you got to hand it to him, he beat the Pitbull two times in a row. If Andrei comes to fight next time he will leave with the belt if he comes to play patty cake again his fighting career will be over. these guys don;t get where they are because of ratings ,they get there because they win fights.

·
Tim Sylvia Sucks
965 Posts
the reason i say hughes is over-rated is the way he won the belt the first time... that guy choked him out and thats why it took hughes forever to celebrate... i guess thats not a big deal but i also hate sylvia and those two have the same team so whatever... Arlovski injured himself too bad to fight anyways... he'll be back with the long hair and hairy chest in his next fight

·
Registered
22 Posts
I say GSP in two rounds by submission! He absolutely raped Frank Trigg...pardon the expression! He beat Penn and Hughes got caught in a rear naked choke in the first round and lost to him. It seems to me that the Miletich camp is open to submissions. Hughes has been caught or almost caught in them in every fight and I think most of us remember Sylvia getting his arm broken by Mir!

·
Registered
178 Posts
oblivion said:
I say GSP in two rounds by submission! He absolutely raped Frank Trigg...pardon the expression! He beat Penn and Hughes got caught in a rear naked choke in the first round and lost to him. It seems to me that the Miletich camp is open to submissions. Hughes has been caught or almost caught in them in every fight and I think most of us remember Sylvia getting his arm broken by Mir!
Frank Trigg (and I am not being mean here because I do and always have adored the guy) is not on the same level as Hughes now.

Besides Hughes will come back after being beaten and then will come the rubber match. Expect Hughes to regain then I think, but I am hoping that pride and desire will mean GSP will get the belt (via submission or perhaps decision) and keep it for a while.

Dana already conformed this match Kam, so unless something has changed, to my knowledge it's on.

·
Outta My Head
1,220 Posts
flourhead said:
the reason i say hughes is over-rated is the way he won the belt the first time... that guy choked him out and thats why it took hughes forever to celebrate... i guess thats not a big deal but i also hate sylvia and those two have the same team so whatever... Arlovski injured himself too bad to fight anyways... he'll be back with the long hair and hairy chest in his next fight
But I think the qualification for "over-rated" in your terms would only befitting if the man he beat wasn't soundly trounced the second time they met. The second time he met Carlos Newton he beat him soundly for over 20 minutes. He left no doubt in anyone's mind who won.

From that point on, well only one guy has put a blemish on his record since then. Let's just see what happens come Hughes vs St. Pierre II.

I know I'm waiting for it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Onganju said:
But I think the qualification for "over-rated" in your terms would only befitting if the man he beat wasn't soundly trounced the second time they met. The second time he met Carlos Newton he beat him soundly for over 20 minutes. He left no doubt in anyone's mind who won.

From that point on, well only one guy has put a blemish on his record since then. Let's just see what happens come Hughes vs St. Pierre II.

I know I'm waiting for it.
I agree, not every fight has a clean finish and Hughes has proven himself many times over after that initial fight with Newton. GSP is a great fighter and if anyone can beat Hughes right now it certainly is him but that should'nt detract from what Hughes has done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I see the fight going either way but if you ask me, i see a decision. I can't imagine either of them getting tapped out. I think it would be a stalemate on the ground and it would probly be decided on the feet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It has the potential to be fascinating on the ground though - GSP is so fast and yet Hughes is so strong... just cannot wait for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This will be a great UFC event, hopefully with one of the TUF 3 fighters in it. Ed Herman, Kendall Grove, or Michael Bisping. Georges St.Pierre and Matt Hughes will be a great matchup. The last fight ended early, but I think St.Pierre is ready this time. I hope it's a long, 4-5 round war on the ground. In the end, I want St.Pierre to win, but I have a feeling Hughes will win. St.Pierre is really strong, but Hughes is pound for pound the strongest fighter in the UFC. St.Pierre is like Tito Ortiz a lot, he's good at taking opponents down and then grounding and pounding them. st.pierre also has the best conditioning of any fighter currently fighting in the UFC. Hughes is one of the best grapplers in the UFC. He has good submissions. so i'm just expecting a war on the ground.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just hope people are happy about it. I personally love to see a good mat fight, but sometimes the event crowd seems to want to see a standup match and a knockout.

(Thinks long and hard about Sylvia/AA #2 and know she is right)

I can still see it going to a decision.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oblivion said:
I know, no one has done that to Frank Trigg before, no one. Matt Hughes beat him bad the first match but George just murdered Frank. And Frank is wise when talking about mixed martial arts and he said himself Georges could beat Matt in the first round!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before the St. Pierre vs BJ Penn fight, I would have picked GSP to take Matt's title away, no problem.

But now I lack confidence in George. I don't think he has the mental game to defeat Matt Hughes. Matt is too psychologically solid to lose to GSP. George was scared in the Penn fight, in my view. He hung in there for the decision, but clearly got the worst of that fight. BJ basically came in out of shape. It should be Penn rematching for his belt back.

Matt's win over Gracie has really boosted his momentum, too.

It will take a miracle for GSP to beat Matt Hughes now.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Both of these guys fight at such a fast pace I would doubt the fight would last 5 rounds. I hope GSP wins because my girlfriend can't stand when he tries to speak English and the post fight interview would drive her crazy. My money is on GSP but I won't dare call it smart money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts