Status
Not open for further replies.

UFC 65 - Hughes vs. St. Pierre II Discussion

48K views 247 replies 116 participants last post by  brownpimp88 
#1 ·
UFC 65
Matt Hughes Vs. Georges St. Pierre
Ultimate Fighting Championship UFC 65

Well, this event isnt too far away. With UFC 64 on our door step now, this one is just around the corner.

This is it for Georges St. Pierre, time to show the world he is #1.

Some info on this event.

Fight Card:
Matt Hughes Vs. Georges St. Pierre
Tim Sylvia Vs. Jeff Monson

There is vBookie setup for both these fights already, so get over there and bet your post points!!!!
MMA BETTING ARENA

St. Pierre has Bad Intentions

Canadian Press

Mixed martial arts fighter Georges St. Pierre is getting his title shot. Again.

The Montreal welterweight will meet UFC champion Matt Hughes on Nov. 18 at UFC 65: Bad Intentions in Sacramento, Calif. St. Pierre was to have fought Hughes at UFC 63 on Sept. 23 but had to pull out after suffering a groin injury in training.

B.J. Penn replaced St. Pierre and gave the champion all he could handle for two rounds before running out of gas and losing by TKO in the third round.

Hughes showed his killer instinct, taking advantage of Penn's fatigue by using his legs and left arm to pin the Hawaiian fighter's arms to the canvas. The champion then hammered Penn's unprotected head — as if tenderizing a 170-pound piece of meat — with 42 straight right hands and three elbows before the referee stepped in to end the carnage.

It was the same way Hughes finished off Carlos Newton, the only Canadian to hold a UFC title, at UFC 38: Brawl in the Hall in 2002.

In Hughes, St. Pierre is facing a champion at the top of his game.

The 32-year-old from Hillsboro, Ill. has a record of 42-4 and won 19 of his last 20 fights including a submission victory over St. Pierre two years ago. And Hughes has now avenged the lone blemish during that stretch, a loss to Penn at UFC 46: Supernatural in January 2004.

Hughes started as wrestler but is now an all-round fighter who enjoys the challenge of solving problems posed by talented opponents. Physically and mentally, he is teak-hard.

St. Pierre (12-1) is a talented fighter in his own right who is coming off his own win over Penn (UFC 58: USA vs. Canada in March). The 25-year-old moves like a dancer, his torso an inverted triangle of rippling muscle. He is athletic and graceful as he punishes the men he faces in the ring.

"Georges was and still is the No. 1 contender," Hughes said in an interview. "He's the guy that should have got that title shot before B.J.

"I'm at the point in my career where I'm not looking to fight people that I know I can beat. Now, it's kind of more of a challenge to see who matches up well with me, who's going to take me into the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth round. And Georges could be anyone of those.

"He could take me far into the fight or he could be a possible guy that could beat me. He's a very skilled fighter. But I really think that God has plans that I'm going to win that fight and I feel very confident."

St. Pierre has all the physical tools he needs to be a champion — and says he is totally fit after getting over a pulled groin tendon.

But St. Pierre admits he let the magnitude of the first Hughes fight get to him. The rematch will be his chance to prove he also has the mental side of the game down pat.

"He beat me fair and square but I respected him too much," St. Pierre said. "I thought for me it was impossible to do anything to him because he was Matt Hughes and he was kind of my idol in MMA. But now things are different right now and I am going to fight him like I fight everybody else."

And while both fighters say nice things about each other, the two sometimes rub each other the wrong way.

Hughes is a plain-speaking country boy who has got under St. Pierre's skin in the past. And St. Pierre angered Hughes when he entered the ring after the Penn fight, grabbing the microphone to tell Hughes and a worldwide pay-per-view audience: "I am very glad you won that fight Matt, but I was not impressed by your performance and I look forward to fighting you in the near future."

Hughes did not like the comments and pulled St. Pierre close to him in the ring to say so.

"I said 'Hey Georges, I've never been the type of guy to walk in this Octagon after somebody else has already competed and try and steal the show. You kind of just showed me who you were.' He kind of took that to heart. I think he felt a little bad afterwards."

St. Pierre, who blamed the exchange on a misunderstanding, went to Hughes's dressing room 20 minutes later to apologize. The Canadian fighter said he misheard Hughes's post-fight comments and thought the champion was insulting him when Hughes pointed at him.

"It was not very classy," St. Pierre said of his behaviour.

"Georges is a great guy. No doubt about it ... In all reality I would never talk bad about Georges," Hughes said.

While St. Pierre said he was sorry, he noted Hughes has taken swipes at him before.

"Matt Hughes said a lot of bad things about him me in the past and he always had a bad attitude when we talked to each other and when he did interviews," he said.

The verbal jabs included St. Pierre being Canadian and French-Canadian.

According to St. Pierre, Hughes told a Los Angeles station that "'Georges is French and the French didn't make the war with us. They don't have a real warrior spirit. They don't have any heart. So the fight is going to be easy. Georges is going to give up because of that."'

Said St. Pierre: "I think it's a racist thing and it doesn't have anything to do with the sport."

Not to mention that Quebec is not France.

"Matt is the typical American country guy. I'm not pissed at him but I'm going to have sweet revenge in the Octagon when I fight him in November," St. Pierre said.

Hughes says he was just teasing.

"That's the type of person I am. If I like somebody, I'll tease them and play with them and will sit and laugh the whole time. If I don't like somebody, I won't see them, I won't hear them, I won't speak to him, I don't know him. I like Georges and I like David (fellow Montreal fighter David Loiseau) and they happen to be Canadian, so I kind of tease them a little bit.

"(It's) just ribbing and I think they do know deep down inside that I do like them, because I do play with them and tease them."

Hughes beat a 23-year-old St. Pierre at UFC 50: The War of '04 in October 2004 when he forced the Canadian to tap out due to an armbar with one second left in the first round.

But St. Pierre fared well prior to making the mistake that cost him the fight. He stunned Hughes with a spinning side kick and avoided takedowns.

Like Hughes, St. Pierre has won all four of his fights since then.

Hughes knows he will have to be in top form to fend off St. Pierre again.

"I know I have to be in the best shape in my life to fight Georges because I think he's got a pretty big gas tank and when it gets into the fifth round, he's not going to tire like B.J. ... He might even get stronger as the fight goes on."
Original Story Here

#2 ·
Guys,

Here is what I've seen and read so far, with the card shaping up rather nicely.

Confirmed/Rumoured Fights

UFC Welterweight Title Fight
[41-4-0] Matt Hughes vs. Georges St. Pierre [12-1-0]

UFC Heavyweight Title Fight
[22-2-0] Tim Sylvia vs. Jeff Monson [22-5-0]

[7-0-0] Brandon Vera vs. Frank Mir [9-2-0]

[25-7-0] Joe Stevenson vs. Dokonjonosuke Mishima [17-4-2]

[13-6-0] Nick Diaz vs. Graison Tibau [11-3-0]

[3-2-0] Brad Imes vs. TBA

[15-4-0] Karo Parisyan vs. Jake Shields [16-4-1]

#5 ·
This is going to be an awesome fight. There has been some bad blood between Hughes and GSP - it could get worse. I think Matt Hughes is a great fighter - but it is time for GSP to shine.

I think Sylvia will keep his belt - for now.

Anyone know if there will be a fantasy sign up for this one?

#14 ·
I hope St. Pierre takes Hughes but I'm a little worried about the long layoff he's had. UFC 58 was quite a while ago and Matt just fought in Sept.; I think Georges' ring rust may play a factor. I still think he can pull it off though, as long as he doesn't come out gun shy like the Crow.

#17 ·
Ice Cold said:
Yikes don't know about you guys but Sylvia vs Monson has boring written all over it. Obviously it'll be all stand up, and Sylvia has a good reach advantage ugh just doesn't interest me. I'll pass on this one, as good as Hughes vs GSP will be.
I think Tim Sylvia - Jeff Monson will be a great fight ... you'll never see a guy 5'9 squaring off against a 6'8 champ... should be interesting to see that little tank Monson come right in ... if he takes Sylvia down, the champ may fall

#18 · (Edited)
UFC 65 Bad intentions

Everybody....Does anybody know how loud Arco Arena gets?...NBA Kings fans are the LOUDEST. UFC 65 will seriously rock. I can't wait. There may be a stunning upset or 2. Let's enjoy our Champions while they still have their belts...cause Pride Fighters are here now...and I don't see are guys holding on to their belts much longer. (i.e) Silva/Franklin...Anderson Silva is only the beginning...look at the list... Fedor and his younger brother, CC, Wandy, Rampage...just to name a few..lol

#19 ·
cheik kongo looked fantastic in his first bout but looked terrible on the ground the other night. i dont know if monson can take mir. he is clearly good at submissions and the ground game seems to be sylvias weak point. arlovski could ahve taken him if he went to the ground its just getting through his massive punches and kicks to get him there tahts the problem.
I'm canadian so I hope GSP wins. Hughes has proven to be a monster though but I think GSP has the advantage in standup

#20 ·
being Canadian, i gotta cheer for GSP here, but i also think your crazy if u think he will dominate Hughes.

It will be close by i see Hughes by arm bar in the 3rd.

I DESPISE Sylvia, i think he's a joke. I dont think highly on Monson either but he's got more respect from me then Syilva does.

Monson KO 2nd.

#22 ·
Team Punishment said:
Hopefully GSP kicks Hughes ass! I think Sylvia will beat Monson by KO. The card looks great so definately I will be ordering it. I order 64 then 65 is a must also 66 for Liddell v Tito.
lol you must have money coming out of your ass if you order ufc 64,65,and 66. lol for us poor folk thats wishfull thinking.

#24 ·
jaymackz said:
esv..find a friend that has satellite.....IF you have friends that are into MMA invite them...just pitch in like 5 bucks for the host(friend with satellite) and enjoy a cheap way of watching PPV...with your friends! :D
lol thanx for the advice but ive already tried that. most of my friends dotn even know what the ufc is and the ones that do are either to cheep to order or dont have cable or satelite

#26 ·
esv said:
lol thanx for the advice but ive already tried that. most of my friends dotn even know what the ufc is and the ones that do are either to cheep to order or dont have cable or satelite
damn man....somehow get all your friends to stop watchin WWE :D ahha just playin! but i understand..=/..i guess you'll just have to download the fights after the PPV event is done....just like what most people do (including me :laugh:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.