Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One month after announcing that Wanderlei Silva had been signed to fight in the UFC and would likely face Chuck Liddell in November, the UFC has backed off of those claims in a Canadian media interview.

Pride has not yet commented on the UFC's statements. Here is the full article, courtesy of the Canadian Press.

Liddell Silva fight could be off, according to UFC president
by Neil Davidson, Canadian Press (CP)

It appears the much anticipated mixed martial arts bout between rival champions Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva scheduled for November might be off.

``I don't even know if Silva's going to happen,'' Dana White, president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, told The Canadian Press in an interview.

White cited problems in dealing with the Japan-based Pride Fighting Championships that is home to Silva.

White said UFC 65 will instead probably feature Liddell against Tito Ortiz in a rematch of UFC 47 in 2004 when Liddell battered and bloodied the Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

The Liddell-Silva bout was considered a blockbuster matchup, finally bringing the rival UFC and Pride organizations together

Liddell (18-3-0) is the current UFC light-heavyweight champion at 205 pounds. While the Iceman has been out of commission recently with a toe injury, he remains the face of mixed martial arts in North America for many.

Known as the Axe Murderer, Silva (24-3-1) is a fighting machine who holds the Pride title. He has appeared in the UFC before, losing to Ortiz at UFC 25 in 2000 in his last outing in the Octagon.

The UFC, now looking to expand to Europe, has had the U.S. market largely to itself. Pride dominates Japan, using pay-per-view shows and Fox Sports TV to spread the word.

Complicating matters is the recent announcement that Pride is staging its first ever show in North America, The Real Deal!, in UFC's backyard of Las Vegas on Oct. 21.

``Obviously there are a lot of things going on,'' White said of the Pride situation. ``I'll [tell] you this, the Japanese are very hard to do business with and you never know what's going to happen.''

The UFC surprised viewers at UFC 61 last month in Las Vegas when Silva and Liddell met in the ring for a stare down as White announced their bout.

The Liddell-Silva fight was contingent on Liddell defeating Brazil's Renato (Babalu) Sobral at UFC 62 on Aug. 26 and Silva surviving Pride's Final Conflict Absolute card Sept. 10 in Saitama, Japan.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
If this fight doesn't happen every MMA fan will riot. Its the fight we've been waiting for since 2002, two of the top businesses send their best fighters to fight each other to see whos better. Plus Dana promised us after that Shamrock and Ortiz early stoppage. If this doesn't happen I may never trust Dana on what he says again.

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
Dana White is ignorant. Dreamstage Entertainment(DSE) has already said that they are willing to do business with the UFC. They even have Pride fighters fighting on a UFC program, Ultimate Fight Night 6. Both companies need the other in order to expand and to have something to compete for and against in other markets, like Europe. The fights going to happen, both companies need this to happen. They make it seem like the show, the Real Deal, in Vegas is going to piss off the UFC but I wouldn't be surprised if some UFC fighters are going to be at the show.

·
The American Psycho
6,945 Posts
It seems the hype from Bitter Rivals is never ending. Not only did that Pay-Per-View treated us to a bunch of lackluster fights, now it looks like Dana's promise to make Liddell Vs Silva won't happen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think Dana is ignorant, if the fight is off then there really has to be a serious issue at hand. the UFC is not going to just not hold that fight just because, the fight will probably bring more money to that PPV than the last 3 PPV's combined. You never know, they could really be having problems with Pride. It would kind of make sense, sense Pride is making their North American debut in October. Maybe, they feel like it might hurt their business. But, who knows, only time will tell. If the fight doesn't happen there will be a lot of angry MMA fans like people have been saying. I honestly think that it would be in both companies best interest to have this fight happen in November.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, who knows UFC could be like since were not going to have Liddell v. Silva. They could be making up for it with Ortiz v. Shamrock III on FREE t.v. ... LoL:laugh:

·
The American Psycho
6,945 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
It doesn't even matter cuz Babalu is gonna beat Chuck anyway. I never got excited about Silva vs. Liddell cuz I know Babalu will beat Chuck so Silva vs. Liddell won't happen regardless.:cheeky4:
Amen to that. Babalu will submit the iceman and take his title.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope Babalu does win, and they should have Liddell v. Silva regardless. I couldn't give two sh*ts if it were for a title or not. I just want to see the fight...

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I think Dana is just trying to keep us focused on UFC 62 for the mean time then Chuck .vs. Silva. I guess hes hearing how no one is interested in Chuck TKO ing Babalu in the first round or Forrest Griffin owning Bonnar in 2 minutes as the co-main event :dunno:.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Babalu is the harder challenge for Lidell without a doubt, I believe that a Silva v Lidell fight would only happen if neither of them were the flagship fighters at their wieght for the respective companys, i believe neither company want the risk of their man being beaten as both make money on matchups provided and if either are going to lose they want it to be a home fighter to win to propogate the revenue etc if you get my drift?

·
canadian champ
1,522 Posts
WouldLuv2FightU said:
It doesn't even matter cuz Babalu is gonna beat Chuck anyway. I never got excited about Silva vs. Liddell cuz I know Babalu will beat Chuck so Silva vs. Liddell won't happen regardless.:cheeky4:
Finally. I thought i was the only one who believed this. The submission master will own chuck.

·
Registered
669 Posts
OK

Will everyone PLEASE STOP BLAMING DANA WHITE! Christ sakes does anyone here know Japanesse Business? I do enough to know that they are stingy as shit and they are only in it for 1 thing and thats money. If it doesn't happen im not going to blame dana white because dana white is only the ufc president, and he can only control chuck liddell's side of it. The japanesse control PRIDE, so if Silvia wants to stick with pride, then theres nothing dana white can do but try and get pride to fight against UFC.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
If Chuck beats Babalu and he can't fight Silva we all can watch Ortiz win the light heavyweight championship again :dunno:.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Good i would personally much rather see Tito vs Chuck II then Wand vs Chuck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Spit206Fire said:
OK

Will everyone PLEASE STOP BLAMING DANA WHITE! Christ sakes does anyone here know Japanesse Business? I do enough to know that they are stingy as shit and they are only in it for 1 thing and thats money. If it doesn't happen im not going to blame dana white because dana white is only the ufc president, and he can only control chuck liddell's side of it. The japanesse control PRIDE, so if Silvia wants to stick with pride, then theres nothing dana white can do but try and get pride to fight against UFC.
yea I have to agree.. just because dana is the president of the company and hte public face.. he does not make all the decisions.. thats what the board of directors does.. While he has some say his word is not law... and he can not control events in Pride which may be the reason for this.. all we can do is sit and wait.. and see what happens

·
Registered
45 Posts
Spit206Fire said:
OK

Of course this assumes, that Wandie has rights to choose his next opponents. Pride has the biggest upside here gentlemen. UFC has spent its bullets, we know all their fighters and we've seen what happens when too much is at stake like 61 Bitter Rivals--presenting lackluster fights. If Chuck v Tito 2 is what's for sale next....there may be a problem. Pride has quite a bit to present.

·
LEGEN...wait for it...DARY
5,066 Posts
Rush said:
I think Dana is just trying to keep us focused on UFC 62 for the mean time then Chuck .vs. Silva. I guess hes hearing how no one is interested in Chuck TKO ing Babalu in the first round or Forrest Griffin owning Bonnar in 2 minutes as the co-main event :dunno:.
Chuck TKOing Babalu, maybe. Griffin taking out Bonnar in two minutes, not going to happen. Bonnar out struck him in the first match and if he was in better condition he could have dominated him. I am not saying Bonnar won, but the fight was pretty much even. And Forrest hasn't knocked anyone out in the UFC and he never looks for submissions. The guy, though likable, is not a world class fighter like most people on this forum think. He is average in the UFC and wouldn't even make it in PRide.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts