Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard or seen anything more about a possible UFC event in Nottingham or another city this year? Surely they wont go a whole year without an event in England??!!

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
i don't see this happening to be honest, in the recent events in England Dana has liked to have a few British fighters fighting on the card and with Bisping, Hardy, Daley, Hathaway, Etim, winner and pearson either just had fights or got them up-coming the UFC wouldn't be able to put them on the card, which Dana would feel would take a lot away from the atmosphere.

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
Id rather see a card here in the uk without the British fighters if i was perfectly honest. I get put off going when the card mostly has uk fighters on.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Id rather see a card here in the uk without the British fighters if i was perfectly honest. I get put off going when the card mostly has uk fighters on.
i know. Most British MMA fans would agree, but i just don't see Dana and the UFC thinking in that way. I think he may try and get Hardy fighting his next fight in the UK. Think Dana wants to make him the new UK poster boy for MMA, cos Bisping is a bit meh...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think just because the UK fighters have fought recently or are fighting soon will make any difference to a UFC event later in the year. If they scheduled an event for September that would give plenty of time between fights for any of the brit fighters they would want on the card. UFC UK Precident says they are coming to Nottingham soon, just wondered if anyone had heard an update?!

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/UFC-heads-Nottingham/article-1205435-detail/article.html

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
How come they've never had one in Brazil considering all the fighters from there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Brazil

They have ;)

There will be an event in the UK this year, pretty sure Dana confirmed it a while back. He's said on a number of ocassions that they'll now look to hold at least 1 show a year in every country they've had one in, so the UK, which has been hosting shows for a while will definitely get one. I've also heard that the next one could be at the O2 in London, though I'm not sure where exactly I heard that.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I completely agree.

i know. Most British MMA fans would agree, but i just don't see Dana and the UFC thinking in that way. I think he may try and get Hardy fighting his next fight in the UK. Think Dana wants to make him the new UK poster boy for MMA, cos Bisping is a bit meh...
Would they? Some casual fans and meat heads just want to see people getting smashed up, I'd expect these to be the sort of people to be patriotic and turn things into a Britain vs everyone else type shitshow. It's hard to know how many level headed fans are out there, I hope plenty.

It's no problem having a couple of the best British fighters on the card, but they pack the whole card out with every Brit they can. For UFC 89 they signed Neil Wain, fed him to Shane Carwin and he's never been seen since. That shows how much they value having British fighters on UK cards.

But I usually say that Dana and co are the experts, they know how to propell their business. Perhaps local fighters create more local media attention, freinds and family spreading the message and a good atmosphere on the night. Who knows, all I know is I want to see the best fights and fighters being British does not instantly make me a fan or even make want to see them fight.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Id really love it to be at the MEN Manchester. I need to go to an event, would be amazing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts