Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you think the UFC exaggerates height measurements of some of their fighters because some guys just don't come off as how tall their billed height states. For ex, Hendo looks like he's 5'11 but stats sheets show him as 6'1, Nogueira who's 6'3 looked like he was about 4-5 inches taller than Hendo when they fought, Tim Sylvia looks more near 6'5-6'6 rather than 6'8 and Tito looks like he's 6'1 or 6'0 to me.

I mean has this been a known "thing" cause this would be all news to me if it was.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
People's heights can vary. You will be taller in the morning than in the afternoon thanks to spinal compression, and your stance and posture also affect your height- whether you "stand up straight" for your measurement or not. For a tall person this can add or subtract an inch easily. And remember that they are usually rounding one way or the other, so even if someone is a half inch over 6'1" they might get recorded at 6'2".
Beyond that, sometimes there are clerical errors as well. There might even have been some doctoring of numbers in the past, but remember that the athletic commissions are recording this info as well now so I think they are being honest these days.

Sylvia really is like 6'8" though (watch his fight vs 6'"10" Gan McGee for a real perspective) he just hunches over a lot because almost everyone is a lot shorter than him.

·
Registered
458 Posts
tim sylvia slouches when he fights, when standing up to get his hieght measured hes gna be taller just an idea on why some appear exagerated

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah but some fighters look shorter than their stats say even in the weigh ins and staredowns.

Silva listed as 6'2 looks like 2-3 inches taller than Hendo (listed 6'1) and Silva's slouching more than him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty commonly known that most if not all professional sports exaggerate the height of the athletes.

The only sport that maybe doesn't is football because i think at the combine they measure the athlete's height down to like 1/8 of an inch, maybe even more accurate than that.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's pretty commonly known that most if not all professional sports exaggerate the height of the athletes.

The only sport that maybe doesn't is football because i think at the combine they measure the athlete's height down to like 1/8 of an inch, maybe even more accurate than that.
Never really thought about the UFC until now since most of their fighters seemed up to size description but I've suspected couple of fight promotions of lying on paper and I think the NBA specs are pretty legit.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think they exaggerate fighter's reach as well heh.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
The records are understandable since the fighter has probably fought in some smaller, unsanctioned fights that Sherdog is not aware of. With that being said, I find it extremely puzzeling to see that some fighter's UFC record has less losses than their Sherdog record. Like I can understand more wins, but how do you deduct losses?

·
ASS MAN
6,063 Posts
Yup- every sport does it. When Charles "the round mound of rebound" played in the NBA he was listed at 6' 8" when he is really around 6' 4" and Hakeem Olajuwon was listed as 7 footer and he wasn't more than 6' 10". NFL teams are terrible at weight as well, lineman routinely get bumped around 20 lbs. The super fatties in the NFL tend to get bumped down.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
For other sports that exaggerates physical characteristics of athletes see-

Reference: Every professional sport
That isn't a reference. :dunno: Think of a reference like a citation.

Here is an example of a reference:

GSP is listed by some websites as being 5"10.

reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_St._Pierre

The only instance where I have really questioned a fighters height is the ever-changing height of Anderson Silva...or is it Hendo...either way they did not look 1 inch off from each other at any point during that fight.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Never really thought about the UFC until now since most of their fighters seemed up to size description but I've suspected couple of fight promotions of lying on paper and I think the NBA specs are pretty legit.

Nah the NBA is acually the worst...most 7 footers are acually around 6'10 Duncan,Ewing,Hakeem etc; I've met
Allen Iverson and there's no way he's 6'

Rich Franklin is every bit of 6'2 though.

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
right over your head
Which part of it went over my head exactly? The part where you used bad grammar or the bad joke?

Are you impying that I did not understand your post was a joke?

I obviously knew you were making a joke, I was just pointing out that you are using the word incorrectly, making your joke ineffective.

Let's try your joke with correct grammar:

For other sports that exaggerate physical characteristics of athletes see: every other sport.

Get it?

Or are you somehow making a joke using the word reference incorrectly?

·
OG Heavy Hitter
2,663 Posts
I can't speak on all the fighters but I have met a few and I dont think that their stats lie.

I'm 6'3" and when I met Sylvia in Vegas he was every bit of 5" taller than me...it actually seemed like more than that.

I also met Tito and he seemed like he was as tall as me ( and his head looked like a buffalo head!! haha )

I've also met some other fighters... Joe Riggs, Mayhem, Jake O'Brien, Hector Ramirez, Razor Rob, etc when I worked for their agent Ken Pavia ( I work for another company that Ken used to own ). I'm not sure what these guys are listed at though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Which part of it went over my head exactly? The part where you used bad grammar or the bad joke?

Are you impying that I did not understand your post was a joke?

I obviously knew you were making a joke, I was just pointing out that you are using the word incorrectly, making your joke ineffective.

Let's try your joke with correct grammar:

For other sports that exaggerate physical characteristics of athletes see: every other sport.

Get it?

Or are you somehow making a joke using the word reference incorrectly?
i did not post the message you responded to. What the poster was getting at was, in general, heights/weights/stats are exaggerated across ALL SPORTS. He was not intending to provide a link or citation. He was comparing how UFC is similar to all other professional sports.

You are giving me credit for a joke I did not make. Please learn to review and cite your quotes appropriately to avoid situations like this.

reference: how to cite a quote

·
Registered
832 Posts
Do you think the UFC exaggerates height measurements of some of their fighters because some guys just don't come off as how tall their billed height states. For ex, Hendo looks like he's 5'11 but stats sheets show him as 6'1, Nogueira who's 6'3 looked like he was about 4-5 inches taller than Hendo when they fought, Tim Sylvia looks more near 6'5-6'6 rather than 6'8 and Tito looks like he's 6'1 or 6'0 to me.

I mean has this been a known "thing" cause this would be all news to me if it was.
shoguns like 5'11''
hendo is the same
randy couture isnt even six foot i dont think
gsp isnt 6 feet.
crocop was like an inch taller than igor (whos 5'8'') but they say hes 6'2'', yeah and im 7'

alot of their heights are way off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Actually, when Anderson Silva first joined the UFC they underestimated his hieght by a longshot! In the Leben fight they said he was 5'11. He is actually 6'2 - 6'3. So they are not always overestimating.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts