·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
shoguns like 5'11''
hendo is the same
randy couture isnt even six foot i dont think
gsp isnt 6 feet.
crocop was like an inch taller than igor (whos 5'8'') but they say hes 6'2'', yeah and im 7'
alot of their heights are way off.
Shogun looked a lot shorter than Forrest Griffin in that fight, but he still looks around 6'0 (at least) to me, I think Couture is around 6'0 - 6'1. I'm pretty sure GSP's billed height is accurate at 5'10 and same with Cro Cop at 6'2. I think the UFC usually ups the heights by an inch or so but some fighters look way off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They have Marcus Davis listed at 5'10", but he looks smaller than just about every guy he goes up against. He's about 5'8" max.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You guys have to remember it is a very inaccurate to estimate different people's heights by watching UFC on pay per view..

·
Registered
566 Posts
considering im 6,0 and i stood right beside GSP and hes shorter than me my maybe an inch at most means to me they are right on.

why would they lie anyway.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ive met alot of the fighters, so im not really judging off of that.

i got a picture of couture next to someone under six foot, and they are pretty close to the same.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Sports exaggerating stats? You mean Patrick Smith really wasn't 250-0 when he fought Ken 'Wayne!' Shamrock....:)
you mean snap, crackle and pop? lol xD

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
i did not post the message you responded to. What the poster was getting at was, in general, heights/weights/stats are exaggerated across ALL SPORTS. He was not intending to provide a link or citation. He was comparing how UFC is similar to all other professional sports.

You are giving me credit for a joke I did not make. Please learn to review and cite your quotes appropriately to avoid situations like this.

reference: how to cite a quote
What exactly makes you think I had trouble understanding the meaning of the original post I quoted?

I was not refering to the fact he did not provide a link, I was merely stating the way the sentance was contructed was awkward, which affected the point he was trying to make. The way in which the OP phrased his comment was clearly making reference to the way Encyclopedias direct their readers. I was just being annoying and playing grammar police, which I admit I have no business doing most of the time.

I did mistake you for the person who made the "joke", however.

·
Banned
7,021 Posts
not accusing anyone on this forum, but from my experience, people are pretty damn retarded when estimating people's heights.....

i am 5"9 1/2...and damnit there are some people that think i'm 5"7....some people think i'm 5"11.....i get it all the time....especially idiot canadians who grow up w/ the metric system and think they know how convert it to imperial just by guessing....

·
8,258 Posts
Most Canadians I know could not tell you their height in metric if their lives depended on it. We still use the archaic imperial system for a few things like height. It is mostly because really old people don't know the metric system so there has always been a trickle down effect.

One day the US will join the rest of the world and use a base 10 math system and we won't have to deal with ridiculous calculations!

·
Banned
7,021 Posts
Most Canadians I know could not tell you their height in metric if their lives depended on it. We still use the archaic imperial system for a few things like height. It is mostly because really old people don't know the metric system so there has always been a trickle down effect.

One day the US will join the rest of the world and use a base 10 math system and we won't have to deal with ridiculous calculations!
hmmmm...i'd agree w/ most using the imperial system for heights....but i think we just understand the unit 'meter' and 'centimeter' and be able to put them to use in practice more than an inch or foot....

(keep in mind i'm 20 years old and grew up with the metric system :thumbsup:)

·
Banned
209 Posts
Who knows, I am sure they do.
Action sports have been doing this since action sports started.

I remember for one of the promos last year they were calling Tim Sylvia 6'10.

·
Banned
8,796 Posts
It's like WCW/WWE. Back in the day, they touted the Big Show as 7'4", 500lbs. He's a big guy, but not THAT big.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think they exaggerate fighter's reach as well heh.
well the problem with the reach is not that they exaggerate it but what they measure. I think they should do shoulder to finger tip cause that is more of your reach then finger tip to finger tip. You could have a huge fat guy with tiny arms and still have a 75 inch reach, thats the thing that bugs me about the reach stats.

"Originally Posted by Apecity

hmmmm...i'd agree w/ most using the imperial system for heights....but i think we just understand the unit 'meter' and 'centimeter' and be able to put them to use in practice more than an inch or foot....

(keep in mind i'm 20 years old and grew up with the metric system )"

I will tell you first hand, I am canadian and i have no fuckin clue how tall I am in centimeters. I do not know a single person that doesn't measure their height in feet and their weight in pounds.

·
8,258 Posts

(keep in mind i'm 20 years old and grew up with the metric system :thumbsup:)
Oh ya, for sure! I am actually some sort of weird hybrid I think. For example, I can tell you my height in feet and inches, but I don't really know how long a yard is (3 feet or somthing?). If I measure anything longer than 1-2 feet I use metres...but anything short I use inches usually...but anything shorter than an inch I use mm and cm...oh man, I didn't realize how messed up I was! haha

well the problem with the reach is not that they exaggerate it but what they measure. I think they should do shoulder to finger tip cause that is more of your reach then finger tip to finger tip. You could have a huge fat guy with tiny arms and still have a 75 inch reach, thats the thing that bugs me about the reach stats.

I will tell you first hand, I am canadian and i have no fuckin clue how tall I am in centimeters. I do not know a single person that doesn't measure their height in feet and their weight in pounds.

Ya the way they measure reach is a little bit odd. Can anyone else weigh in on this issue who fights? I am curious if anyone with experience has noticed whether or not "shorter" fighters with stout bodies actually have decent reach.

For example, I am about 2-3 inches shorter than my younger brother, but when we measure reach from finger to finger I have an extra 1.5 inches on him (I have big shoulders). When we joke around and box/roll it seems like he may have a longer reach than me, which kinda doesn't make sense.

Perhaps it is the typical MMA stance which is more square to your opponent than boxing?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
The metric system is far better because it's more precise. Us Europeans know it well. I always hated inaccurate height information about fighters. To this day I don't know how tall randy is. He's been listed from 6 to 6'2.

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
I know that Sylvia is at least 6'8''. I've stood next to him and talked with him for about 10 minutes. That's a long enough time to gage. I'm 6'4'' and he was every bit four inches taller then I am.

I was not amused when they had the commercial for his PPV with Couture and they were saying "6'10'' GIANT" that's a load of crap, but he is 6'8'' on any given day.

Here's a picture that I have with Arlovski and as you can see, he and I are very close to the same height.

]

This leads me to believe that, while they are not above exaggerating on occasion, most of the time they are pretty accurate.

I've met many fighters and no one really stood out ase being that much different from what they are listed as.

·
8,258 Posts
I know that Sylvia is at least 6'8''. I've stood next to him and talked with him for about 10 minutes. That's a long enough time to gage. I'm 6'4'' and he was every bit four inches taller then I am.

I was not amused when they had the commercial for his PPV with Couture and they were saying "6'10'' GIANT" that's a load of crap, but he is 6'8'' on any given day.

Here's a picture that I have with Arlovski and as you can see, he and I are very close to the same height.

]

This leads me to believe that, while they are not above exaggerating on occasion, most of the time they are pretty accurate.

I've met many fighters and no one really stood out ase being that much different from what they are listed as.

So jealous u got a pick with the Pit Bull! You actually look a tiiiiny bit taller than him!

Sorry for changing the subject but I really wanna find out when he will fight next, and for who! :D

PS: Funkyou has the best siggy bet yet! hahah

The metric system is far better because it's more precise. Us Europeans know it well. I always hated inaccurate height information about fighters. To this day I don't know how tall randy is. He's been listed from 6 to 6'2.
It would be pretty hard to fudge numbers if everyone used cm! Maybe we can get a revolution started!

·
Back In Black
4,185 Posts
I think I was standing a little closer to the camera, but we were very close in height. Now with that said, I have lost a little weight since then, I'm back to having only one chin!!!:laugh:

·
8,258 Posts
pfff everyone knows double chins are where it's at! OK maybe I should hit the gym too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
People's heights can vary. You will be taller in the morning than in the afternoon thanks to spinal compression, and your stance and posture also affect your height- whether you "stand up straight" for your measurement or not. For a tall person this can add or subtract an inch easily. And remember that they are usually rounding one way or the other, so even if someone is a half inch over 6'1" they might get recorded at 6'2".
Beyond that, sometimes there are clerical errors as well. There might even have been some doctoring of numbers in the past, but remember that the athletic commissions are recording this info as well now so I think they are being honest these days.

Sylvia really is like 6'8" though (watch his fight vs 6'"10" Gan McGee for a real perspective) he just hunches over a lot because almost everyone is a lot shorter than him.
I think you'll find that mostly all of the UFC's fighters are listed at two inches above their actual heights. Tim Sylvia was 6'5/6'6 max in his younger days and Gan was not 6'10. Due to the UFC using wrong heights for everybody, they confuse us and even themselves. Matt Mitrione was listed at 6'2 in the NFL and he was listed at 6'3 in the UFC. When Matt fought Ben Rothwell (another 6'2 guy), the UFC changed his height to 6'4 because that was what Ben was listed at and both were identical at the weigh in. Heights in wrestling, the UFC, basketball etc are messed up big time, they need a system. There are dozens of wrong heights even today. Juan Adams and Greg Hardy are 6'3 at best though listed at 6'5, Schaub was listed at 6'5 and was 6'2.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts