Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or, is there more sympathy or support for white fighters amongst UFC fans? I can't remember the article but one sportswriter claimed that the surging popularity of UFC is due in large part to the fact that the majority of MMA competitors are caucasian.

I have noticed that caucasian champions tend to be cheered much more loudly. For example, UFC fans roar their approval when Liddell knocks out an opponent. Whereas Quintin Rampage Jackson receives a polite golf clap after defending his title against Henderson. Spider Silva is booed and jeered after beating Rich Franklin decisively, but Franklin is cheered after his every victory. Kongo wins decisively against Cro cop but is barely acknowledged by the crowd. Couture is cheered as if he were a conquering hero.

Opinions yay or nay?

Edit: I am referring more to the preferences of live audiences, not members of this board.

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
I tend to agree, but I wouldn't go as far as calling them racist. I just think the majority of people who go to UFC events are there to cheer the American, get drunk and see a bloody knockout. I don't really think it has that much to do with the colour of their skin.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
when they travel to places like london or dublin the reactions are still the same that tells me there is a problem

·
Registered
305 Posts
I dont care about race, that doesnt make a fighter. Yes, 95% of my favourite fighters are white and probably because of the same reason they are with every other MMA fan. Because they speak english and live here, and were raised in North America. It's easier for us "racists" to relate to that.

As far as Rampage getting a golf clap, where the hell were you when he KO'ed Chuck? lol that crowd was off the chart!

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a stupid thread, why even bring this up?!?!
The fans arent cheering because of the colour of the fighter, they cheering because they like the fighter.
Both the fights you mentioned Franklin/Silva and Chuck/Page in both cases the white fighters were far more popular and Rampage and Silva were relative unknowns in America. Once the fans get to know the fighters and see how good they are they will be cheering just as loud.

·
The Reverend
1,889 Posts
royce81 said:
The fans arent cheering because of the colour of the fighter, they cheering because they like the fighter.
Both the fights you mentioned Franklin/Silva and Chuck/Page in both cases the white fighters were far more popular and Rampage and Silva were relative unknowns in America. Once the fans get to know the fighters and see how good they are they will be cheering just as loud.

i think that hit it on the head, and same with Houston and Jardine, Jardine was on TUF and just came off a knock out of Griffen. No one even had heard of Houston Alexander.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
royce81 said:
You stated exactly what I was going to. +rep

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i dont think its entirely down to race. every fighter you mentioned was relatively unknown when they got their victory. silva was in his second fight with ufc; hardly any ufc fans wanted to see an unknown win the belt. i think silva has grown on them now that they know hes the real deal. kongo again, and unknown fighter, up untill the cro cop fight hardly anyone knew how good his standup even was.
when rampage beat henderson im damn sure i heard alot of laughs during his post fight interview.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
If this theory for silva/rampage was true then how come the London fans were booing rampage and cheering Henderson. When Henderson is an unknown to the average ufc audience. OF course its a white and black thing you just have to re-watch ufc71 to hear the reaction for all the black fighters

stop being naive

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kreed said:
If this theory for silva/rampage was true then how come the London fans were booing rampage and cheering Henderson. When Henderson is an unknown to the average ufc audience. OF course its a white and black thing you just have to re-watch ufc71 to hear the reaction for all the black fighters

stop being naive
What you are forgetting is that the English fans (myself included) are far more familiar with the Pride fighters than Americans are, Hendo and Page are very well known fighters here.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Anderson Silva is not as popular at Rich Franklin, Silva won the title on his second UFC match, still unknown to the average UFC fan.

Rampage is not as popular at Chuck Lidell, Rampage won the title on his second UFC match, still unknown to the average UFC fan.

Kongo is not popular.

Everyones loves Randy Couture.

There goes your theory, nice try.

·
Premium Member
3,300 Posts
royce81 said:
What you are forgetting is that the English fans (myself included) are far more familiar with the Pride fighters than Americans are, Hendo and Page are very well known fighters here.
I'm English and am more familiar with UFC, and I was in Japan to watch CC take out Bob Sapp, and Sakuraba submit Gracie (though now I cant remember which). Pride is only available in Eng on DVD but UFC is on Bravo, so...

I'm sure pride is bigger in Europe though

Are UFC fans racist... yes, let's admit many are stupid dicks full of anger looking for a fight

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
not all but most.. i also noticed they always want to see a brawl than a scientific mma fight. :confused05:

·
Registered
424 Posts
ufc fans are representative of a cross section of the american population and the world more generally. If they are or are not racist then it is a reflection of a sizable portion of society. If ufc fans are racist, and that concerns you, then you should enjoy the action a focus your concern about racism in more productive ways with society at large.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This topic gets brought up every once in a while. Some fans are openly racist and thankfully it's a small minority of idiots. The rest are just there wanting to see a bloody brawl- not racist, but ignorant of MMA science. Don't confuse the two. The reasons you gave earlier are all easily countered with simplicity. I.e those fighters you listed were all relativly new and coming in against home champions. The MMA fanbase is majorly caucasian and I'd go as far as sayin the majoirty of fighters are caucasian. Because it's an American organization.

In short, racism does exisist, but no where near the levels you think. Don't bring this up again in to another heated arguement that leads to 50 pages. It's been said before save your self some time.

·
Registered
566 Posts
i dont think so, when Franklin lost to Silva i was at a huge bar, this place is massive, so lots of fans... people were going nuts i mean nuts when silva won the fight.

Quinton is another story, hes fought a fan favourite, and next he fought a mma fan favourite again so many of the people arent going to go nuts to see him win they wanted the other guy to win.

plus quinton can be a tad annoying, his comments borderline cheezy not funny. imo

·
Registered
903 Posts
UFC fans are just that, fans. They'll eat what's fed to them.

Dana goes over the top when it comes to hyping up his franchise guys, that all happen to be white, and completely smothers anything else.

Anderson Silva and Quinton Jackson are champions, not because of Dana and Zuffa, but in spite of them.

They're a middle finger salute to Mr White and that's why he's probably hoping to Bisping Silva in front of a "Hostile Territory", ie. Franklin's hometown, Cincinnatti.

Good luck Spiderman! :praise01:

·
( . )( . )
843 Posts
While there are going to be a small minority that are racist (law of averages) every fight given there were won by the so called 'underdog' to the average fan. Sometimes being stunned at the outcome can mute an audience.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts