Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

MLB/NBA/NFL ratings are way down.

While UFC ratings are the opposite.

This means UFC fighters will receive pay raises, while MLB/NBA/NFL will see their salaries cut.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Well this is what happens when the big leagues decide to be social justice warriors whereas the UFC fighters go in there and get the job done. Any politics they do after the fight is done and it is also a very individual blue collar sport versus the big leagues which are team white collar sports. But yeah while everyone maybe losing money, the UFC loses less.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dana said the UFC's following is growing by millions and their ratings are rising atm. Enough so that Adesanya vs Costa did better numbers than Conor vs Khabib in terms of views and public interest.

UFC may not get a pay raise until their TV deal is re-negotiated. But they should get it eventually if ratings continue to rise.

I think the main point here is its the size of the sport that determines how much athletes get paid. MMA could grow big enough for fighters to be paid as much as NFL players. While the NFL could shrink small enough for its athletes to be paid as much as UFC fighters. Unions don't do anything to change that.

ESPN, disney and Gavin Newsom would disagree with me.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Oh yeah Gavin Newson the nephew of Nancy Pelosi who despite the fact he normally supports big government and doesn't believe in science when it disagrees with his narrative is opposing rent control in California. But yeah I agree that it could happen but also just the pay of the UFC fighters from good PPV buys could increase.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would be interested to see side by side charts of california rent prices overlayed with cali property taxes.

There's a chance the pressure behind skyrocketing rent in some areas is due to property tax hikes being passed on to renters.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Which is probably also the reason that the Sacramento nuts want to put rent control in place which would cause a lot of issues. There is already rent control on a city by city basis and it isn't helping those cities at all. The most successful cities aren't instituting rent control.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to high salary silicon valley jobs, cali politicians can get away with raising property taxes sky high, with the burden being passed on to renters.

California pays some of the highest tax rates in the country.

Somehow none of that tax $$ goes towards maintaining or fixing the power grid. Or removing dead trees in state forests to prevent wildfires.

How does this happen? Someone smarter than me explain it plz.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Because the state government doesn't think about things like that and are instead listening to the environmentalists who think that "green energy" is what should be concentrated on instead of upgrading the power grid. They also believe that removing dead trees and controlled burns are bad for the environment despite it being otherwise a natural cycle.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blaming "environmentalists" for california wildfires and deteriorating electrical grid is like blaming "spotify employees" for censoring Joe Rogan's podcast.

·
Premium Member
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel like the relationship california politicians have with california residents is an abusive relationship.

The relationship spotify has with Joe Rogan is also an abusive relationship.

Somehow it has become culturally uncool to hold abusive people accountable for abusing people.

And so we blame "environmentalists" and "spotify employees" instead.

·
The Title Guy
17,295 Posts
Okay now I get where you're going with that. Honestly as a California resident I've never been in favor of all of the ludicrous policies that they have put forth that are slowly but surely sinking the state. Also I wonder how long Joe Rogan will be on Spotify.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts