Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea another UFC rant.
But before you get your panties in a twist, listen up.
The UFC is a great promotion dont get me wrong, but the way it carries its self wont take as far as becoming a legit sport.
1st mistake: The Ultimate Fighter
Reality Shows like these are the same reason I stop watching MTV. That aside, TUF is more of a SHIT talk contest if anything else. There nothing wrong with a little trash talk, but shows like TUF are only catering to one crowd which brings me to my next point.
2nd mistake: ONE demographic
How often do you see kids take interest in MMA (not just jujitsu). I mean think about it, some kids like Basketball, Football, Baseball and Soccer. Why? Because they cater to everyone, not just young and middle aged men. And dont give me the whole safety BS. There has yet to be a death or serious career ending injury that has happened in a MMA fight. If MMA is going to have compotion for kids, than HAS to be more restrictions.
3rd mistake: ULTIMATE FIGHTING?
What the **** is that? I could have sworn that this was MMA. PROMOTED AS MMA. Do you want to be an Ultimate Fighter? Hell no, I want to be a Mixed Martial Artist. Alot of people are getting the wrong idea of MMA is. A combination of martial arts styles. In the early days of the UFC and PRIDE, thats what it was all about. This brings me to my next point.
4th mistake: Taking the martial art out of mixed martial arts.
In present day, Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva are the ONLY MMA fighters with a unique style. The problem I have is the UFC has a "martial arts pool" so to speak. Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Boxing and Kickboxing. THATS IT. I have yet to see a TKD fighter, Shaolin, Subak, Sanshou, Ninjusitsu and so on, compete in MMA. The originalty is barely alive and more people have to step up to the plate.
5th mistake: Counter Programing Strikeforce
This seriously has to stop for 2 reasons. 1: Your showing PPV cards that people paid for just to see it on cable weeks laters and 2: This sport is still in growing, the MMA world needs all the help it can get. Trying to run SF off of the grid is making Dana no different than a sleazy boxing promoter (Don King).
6th mistake: Lack of diversity
This is a little bit like the demograhpic rant. Back in PRIDE, how many americans, russian, brazilian, japanesse, korean, austrailian, british, dutch and many other nations compared to the one you see in the UFC? EXACTLY. The UFC is not different that than the NFL in terms of Global diversity. If the UFC was more apporiate (like PRIDE) for more than one demographic than maybe more people from the east might take part in it.

Think about guys. Don't we want MMA to be an Olympic sport? Have a World Championship Grand Prix.World Cup? National Tournaments? MMA has that potential, but the UFC is not helping it at all at this rate.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
What the **** is that? I could have sworn that this was MMA. PROMOTED AS MMA. Do you want to be an Ultimate Fighter? Hell no, I want to be a Mixed Martial Artist. Alot of people are getting the wrong idea of MMA is. A combination of martial arts styles. In the early days of the UFC and PRIDE, thats what it was all about. This brings me to my next point.
Forrest Griffen has a part of his book were he puts it into words great about how watching the Karate Kid you can tell who is a fighter and who is a martial artist. When the bad guy coach tells the kid to sweep the leg the difference between a martial artist and a figter is the martial artist thinks that is wrong the fighter knows that if you see a weakness you go after it. In order to exceed in this sport you need to be a fighter.

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
1.) UFC is not a Sport MMA is

2.) The Ultimate fighter brought more people to MMA then any thing else, heck the Forrest Griffin Stephan Bonnar fight probably is the single most important fight in mma history for bringing in more fans to the sport and that was brought to us solely by The Ultimate fighter show

3.) Your whole Diversity thing does not make sense, MMA as a whole as evolved from the days of one style of fighter vs another fighters are being well more diverse and learning everything, and that is actually one of the things that is going to keep the sport growing

4.) Your Olympic Grand prix idea will never be, Fighters fighting that soon after a fight will not be permitted in most countries let alone the Olympics

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
2.) The Ultimate fighter brought more people to MMA then any thing else, heck the Forrest Griffin Stephan Bonnar fight probably is the single most important fight in mma history for bringing in more fans to the sport and that was brought to us solely by The Ultimate fighter show
Yes more people from the US. Who do you see from outside the USA ( beside Brazil and England) that were influenced by TUF. Everyone says that and thats true, but TUF hasn't got GLOBAL attention. Compared to PRIDE, UFC exposer was no where near PRIDE's. Other probably dont know what the TUF is, let alone be influenced by it. Think about it. Who had filled up bigger arenas, PRIDE. Who had the most mixture of nations fighting, PRIDE. Who had fighters compete in tournaments HEALTHY, PRIDE. If Bellator can run tournements, so can the UFC.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
1st mistake: The Ultimate Fighter
That show is the only reason the UFC is still around in any significant way and you list it as the #1 mistake? MMA desperately needed mainstream exposure and they got it with that show. Now the show isn't needed and seems silly but it was their last ditch effort to keep the UFC alive at the time.

2nd mistake: ONE demographic
Yeah but that ONE demographic is THE demographic that you want, men aged 18-49. That is the demographic that has the most money and spends it the most freely. More rules aren't suddenly going to make soccer moms watch MMA.

What the **** is that? I could have sworn that this was MMA. PROMOTED AS MMA.
There is some truth to this as evidenced by the number of people who call MMA "UFC". On the other hand the premier league of MMA needs a name and they want a short easy to remember name that fits on a logo. Calling it the NMMAL (National MMA League or whatever) would make more sense but anything past 3-4 letters is too long.

In present day, Lyoto Machida and Anderson Silva are the ONLY MMA fighters with a unique style. The problem I have is the UFC has a "martial arts pool" so to speak. Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Boxing and Kickboxing. THATS IT. I have yet to see a TKD fighter, Shaolin, Subak, Sanshou, Ninjusitsu and so on, compete in MMA. The originalty is barely alive and more people have to step up to the plate.
So you expect fighters to decrease their chance of winning to be original? Never going to happen. The other martial arts you listed are not as effective as wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, that is why people don't use them.

5th mistake: Counter Programing Strikeforce
This seriously has to stop for 2 reasons. 1: Your showing PPV cards that people paid for just to see it on cable weeks laters and 2: This sport is still in growing, the MMA world needs all the help it can get.
Competition is needed in the early years of a sports development to force decent treatment of the players but after that early period the fans are much better off with a monopoly because the monopoly consolidates talent and ensures we see the best vs the best without any hassles. This is why all the big 4 (NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB) are all monopolies. That is a good thing. IF you could be assured of unlimited, unfettered co promotion than competition would be fine but as boxing has shown us that is basically never going to happen.

6th mistake: Lack of diversity
This is a little bit like the demograhpic rant. Back in PRIDE, how many americans, russian, brazilian, japanesse, korean, austrailian, british, dutch and many other nations compared to the one you see in the UFC? EXACTLY.
I'm starting to think you're levelling me with this post. First of all, their primary audience is still Americans and Canadians so of course there will be more of those fighters than other nations. Despite that I see a lot of diversity given the age of the sport. Every 3rd guy in the UFC is named Silva practically. The UFC is trying as hard as it possibly can to break into other markets, they are killing themselves to work the UK market and have said many times that expanding to other countries is a primary goal. WTF do want them to do?

You could not be more wrong about most of these "mistakes".

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Nobody calls the NFL the national football league its just the NFL, same with NHL, NBA etc, what the hell is a Nascar?, Soccer is huge but what the hell is a world cup?

They call it UFC for those who watch it no explanation of the name is needed for those who are against it no explanation will do.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Nice troll.....nice.....one demographic? What is the video game about, sure younger guys might play it, but it's mostly kids playing video games....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Good rant. I was expecting something about ''Tapout wearing meatheads who run around looking for fights! That's ALL of your fanbase! AAHHHAH'', or some other nonsense.

Props.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Everyone says Everyone says that and thats true, but TUF hasn't got GLOBAL attention.
Brazil and Europe means it has gone global. What about the numerous UK guys. Mexico, Canada, duh. Ireland, Abu Dhabi, Germany, England. Let's see now, I'm fairly sure that means they are more than national, which would make them global?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brazil and Europe means it has gone global. What about the numerous UK guys. Mexico, Canada, duh. Ireland, Abu Dhabi, Germany, England. Let's see now, I'm fairly sure that means they are more than national, which would make them global?
After Silva's fight at UFC 112 and Germany banning UFC broadcasting, who said it was all "good" attention

·
Banned
525 Posts
After Silva's fight at UFC 112 and Germany banning UFC broadcasting, who said it was all "good" attention
Still global. They could be cancelled everywhere but in Las Vegas. The simple fact that they have or had the attention of fans from all over the planet would mean that they are still global. TUF has numerous guys from the UK, Europe, South America, hence it's global. I'm not debating that all attention is good attention. And another thing, Germany banned broadcasting for clearly biased reasons so them being ignorant is of no importance cuz it's not from anything the UFC did. Lastly, my argument was when he said that TUF wasn't globabl and the simple fact that they have had a UK vs. US season pretty much makes that statement dumb.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You Are Wrong!!

Yes more people from the US. Who do you see from outside the USA ( beside Brazil and England) that were influenced by TUF. Everyone says that and thats true, but TUF hasn't got GLOBAL attention. Compared to PRIDE, UFC exposer was no where near PRIDE's. Other probably dont know what the TUF is, let alone be influenced by it. Think about it. Who had filled up bigger arenas, PRIDE. Who had the most mixture of nations fighting, PRIDE. Who had fighters compete in tournaments HEALTHY, PRIDE. If Bellator can run tournements, so can the UFC.
WHAT!!

Finland isnt the most legit country when it comes to MMA, but in last three years they have shown like five season from TUF. I got into MMA because of TUF. Everyone in my school knows what Ultimate Fighter is. You are wrong!

I assume that they show it and that TUF influences as much in any other country in Europe. So don't make an argument of a thing you don't know a shit about.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Huh? The title to your thread is 'why the UFC will never be a legitimate sport? And your bothered by the phrase 'ultimate fighting'??

Listen, regardless of people and the mainstream media think about the UFC and MMA, as long as they have real fighters and real fights, MMA and its organizations are purveyors of sport. That's all that matters.

The ultimate fighter show had real fighter's and real fights at the heart of its production.

Also, taking the martial arts out of MMA? That is only true according to your narrow, subjective definition of martial arts. Precisely by artificially promoting 'unique' styles do you take away the legitimacy of the sport. The WHOLE POINT of the original UFC was to ruthlessly test styles, and to find out what works. To have fighter's improve and adapt to the realities of combat. THAT is martial arts and THAT is legitimacy.

I'm tired of people saying 'this isn't true martial arts' or he 'isn't a true martial artist', if a person fights and tries to learn and get better at fighting he is doing martial arts whether they or you recognize it. Just because they don't have gi or call their gym a 'dojo', it doesn't make them any less legitimate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.