Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
155...170...185...205..........265???

Sorry guys, as the sport evolves and skill levels equal out, size matters. No way a guy 220 hangs with a guy 265+ who knows what the hell he's doing. Time for a new weight division.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would change, I would think...Mir for one comes to mind. After guys like Lesnar figures out how to get out of a heel hook, he's toast.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Topic has been done to death, but I fully agree with you. Dana and Co. need to sign bigger, heavier guys (they're getting there already with guys like Duffee, GG, Lesnar and Carwin) and start the new division, there's just too much of a gap there. Like you said, skill evens out and size begins to matter in a big way.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Sorry guys, as the sport evolves and skill levels equal out, size matters. No way a guy 220 hangs with a guy 265+ who knows what the hell he's doing. Time for a new weight division.
I thought about that, there should be a HW and a SHW belt, yet only one division. The SHW belt can be contested for by both HW and SHW while the HW belt can only be contested for by HW fighters.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I agree that the sport needs to split the HW division, I think there would be more fighters for each division than is obvious, because the division is the way it is, you get a lot of guys could fight at 235 cutting to 205 and we are starting to see the development of fighters pushing up to around 240+ and cutting in at 265.

Until the divisions are created then this trend will just continue and fighters will work on becoming bigger HW's or cutting to 205, so I dont think there ever will be a good time to implement the changes, if the change was make in the short term the HW division would suffer there is no escaping that, but in the long term fighters would start working and developing into the new weights, could take a few years to built its self back up, but given time it would and I believe it would benefit the sport. its not the type of chance you can sit about waiting for the right time, which is why I feel it has not been done already, its something that would need to be forced into the sport to force the fighters to start building there body's to work within the new weight structure but until they make the change no fighters are ever going to strive to before 235 in the hope they might one day create the division, they need to create the division first in order for it to build.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Frank Mir the New HW Champion!

I can only dream... In all honesty I would support this if they decided to do it tomorow.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
You need to have 15-20 guys at least for a division though. The 265 division would have what like 5 guys? Lesnar, Carwin, Duffee and maybe a couple of the other guys too lazy to lose a little weight.

I agree it needs to happen but they need some more big talented guys. Give it a couple years and we might have enough to do it.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
You need to have 15-20 guys at least for a division though. The 265 division would have what like 5 guys? Lesnar, Carwin, Duffee and maybe a couple of the other guys too lazy to lose a little weight.

I agree it needs to happen but they need some more big talented guys. Give it a couple years and we might have enough to do it.
I agree with making a 235, but this point is very valid. It wouldn't be hard at all to fill the 235 roster. There are plenty of current heavyweights, and people sometimes forget, plenty of light heavy weights that might enjoy not cutting the weight, such as Forrest, maybe even Jon Jones when he get a little older.

The fact is, the new, what I guess would be super heavy weight division would suffer greatly.

·
Banned
689 Posts
leave that shit with boxing. if they add one more weight class, than there will be another weight class added, it's perfect the way it is, don't **** it up with multiple WC bullshit.

the more simple it is, the more better it is

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Velasquez would be champion of the 235 division.

As for a SHW division. Are there actually any 300+ lb athletic guys out there like Lesnar with somewhat of a fighting background that they would be competitive with say Lesnar. I can't really think of any.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
A 220 pounder is NOT going to fight at HW. Forrest Griffin walks around at 230 and cuts to 205. Anderson walks around at 215-220 and cuts to 185.

Brock cuts to 265, as does Carwin; even Mir cut to 265 by shedding a few lbs. in his last couple of fights.

Cain and JDS are both right around the 245 lb. mark.

Gonzaga is around 255.

In other words, many of the top HW's are 245+, so while there is a weight difference, it's approx. 20 lbs. or so rather than 60.

Second, there are only 3 fighters around the 265 lb. mark. How often would they be willing to fight one another? Certainly, some monotony would set in sooner rather than later.

In boxing, the HW cutoff is 200 lbs. Yet there are no calls for a SHW division, for the very same reason there's no call for it in MMA: it's not necessary.

Ultimately, a lot of this talk centers around an implicit campaign of anti-Brock hate.

Get over it, he'll be around for a long time to come.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
He's not going to get past JDS, or Cain, or a healthy Minotauro.

Mir is at a turning point in his career. He's got good hands, but is far from the best. His wrestling is sub par, and most every HW can easily avoid his submission attempts since Frank cannot take his opponents down. He's big but lacks functional strength.

He's still no. 5 in the UFC HW division, but even in a "split" HW division, he would not be champion.

This^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
And Kimbo will rule....J/k lol.

Seriously though I think that's a great idea, and would be perfect for guys like Frank, Fedor, Cro-Cop, and Cain. Thing is MMA haven't evolved to the point where you have too many guys like Brock. I can definitely see that happening in about 2-3 years though.

Also I don't think Carwin cuts down, didnt he weight around 255 in his last fight?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts