Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a UFC backer in terms of their product. But at a certain point consumers have to react to what they don't like. I think watching a PPV chipping in 5 bucks with 10 guys is a pretty cheap form of entertainment. But the cards they are putting on are sucking. And they are talking about putting more on. With injury especially they cannot afford to put on so many PPVs. Not every card has to be filled with stars, but i want relevant fights, not some old guys on the main or co main event for their "name".

I am referring to the winter PPVs that had Tito/Forrest and Couture/Coleman headlining cards...are we serious?

Last night we saw Bisping get a co-main spot, granted Forrest was injured out of the card, but that is crap. 115 we see Chuck/Franklin headline a card, a main event that has close to no relevance to the 205 division. Wow we get to see a fading Cro Cop. Not my idea of a PPV, but actually a free card. 116 has the super main event but then you have Wanderlei Silva/Sexyama. Wandy is not ranked in the top 10 of MWs. I know, Wandy sells fights and has fans, but this is not a good co main event for any card let alone the July 4th weekend card. I like me some Chuck, Wandy, Franklin, Forrest, and so on, but I'm sick of them being the main fight of a card. Its a crappy product that plays towards casual fans because of names, and I am sick of it.

117 and 118 are great, I have nothing to complain about there.

But can they cut out the old timers getting main slots? Lets see less but better cards, my god. The UFC has the deepest roster of all time in MMA, the best talent, yet because they run SOOOOOO many cards they end up with Chuck headlining and Bisping/Wandy/Cro Cop co heading. Enough already.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Well who would you put to headline the main and co-main events?
Franklin/Liddel doesn't have much relevance but it's a very interesting fight on paper.

Wandy/Akiyama is a fight I'm really looking forward to. It's not like Wandy completely sucks now. He's been facing nothing but top competition since he got into the UFC.

I'm pretty biased on Cro Cop vs. Barry because I always have hope that Cro Cop is going to come back and LHK someone to death.

But it's not the UFC's fault that they have had a slump in entertaining fights. All they can do is make the match ups. It's up to the fighters to show up for war.

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
I'm extremely excited for Liddell v. Franklin, and I don't care whether it's for a belt. There are only five divisions, and when you're putting on 12-13 shows per year, you can't expect a championship fight for every main event.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm extremely excited for Liddell v. Franklin, and I don't care whether it's for a belt. There are only five divisions, and when you're putting on 12-13 shows per year, you can't expect a championship fight for every main event.
Not sure what you are getting at because I said nothing that had to do with a belt being on the line.

Let me just break it down in 1 simple sentence.

Rich Franklin coming off a KO loss and a loser of 2 out of his last 3 is facing Chuck Liddell who is on a 2 KO loss streak as the Main Event of UFC 115 with is a Pay Per View.

Does that not sound pretty sad? I understand Chuck still sells, he is my favorite fighter. But it is more than that. A Main Event for the worlds top promotion should never include guys both coming off KO losses or 2 fight losing streaks.

Its just sad that the UFC has to resort to its "casual fan" fall back, in that they can throw out a name like Chuck and sell just as many PPVs. I expect it from SF or something, which has a limited roster, but this is garbage for an event people pay 50 bucks for. It would be great seeing Wandy or Chuck as the 3rd fight of a card, but main events? Anyone who thinks this is OK is just blindly following the UFC. It is OK to question....some people think if they question an event their "MMA card"is revoked and they are just "casual" fans who don't appreciate fights. Well I'm not afraid to speak up and say this PPV is for the birds, and they are using their fanbase.

What do people criticize boxing for? Because they have over the hill "names" headlining cards, trying to earn a buck. The Golden Boy, Roy Jones Jr, Hopkins, and so on. Well the UFC is turning into that when they put their biggest "name" coming of 2 straight KO/TKO losses on a main event.

It is Weak.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Not sure what you are getting at because I said nothing that had to do with a belt being on the line.

Rich Franklin coming off a KO loss and a loser of 2 out of his last 3 is facing Chuck Liddell who is on a 2 KO loss streak as the Main Event of UFC 115 with is a Pay Per View.
I would agree with you if both of these fighters lost to cans. But, they both lost to top competition.

And my question still stands. Who would you have headline?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
115 is not a bad card, but it should have a better main event, the best spot that Chuck/Franklin should get is a co-main event.
I mean yea, any card can be exciting, you never know until fight night how that turns out. But to me the UFC is starting to use their "named fighters" more and more as fall back options to sell buys.

The UFC should have been sued for putting a Couture/Coleman fight as a main event. And remember when Dana said he would make it up to the fans after Anderson Silva's performance? What has he done? Gave us James Toney...? Gave Jon Jones the Janitor? Gave us Hamill vs. a fading Jardine for the TUF final? Thanks Dana...I guess...

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would agree with you if both of these fighters lost to cans. But, they both lost to top competition.

And my question still stands. Who would you have headline?
Who cares who they lost to. Fighters losing twice in a row, KOs at that should not headline cards. Chuck and Franklin are both obviously past their primes, add on they are coming off loses and its sad to think they are headlining.

Who would I put? I don't know, hard to say when matches have already been made. They could have worked it out so they had a different fight on that card. And that is my point, they need less PPVs.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The UFC has just gotten greedy and is giving less and less back to the fans.

Remember when Silva was on a Fight Night? Remember when Hendo and Rampage fought for the belt on a free UFC 75? Remember the stacked UFC 92 card? What have they done for the fans in the last year? Not much.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
You pretty much killed your own point on your original post. You aren't forced to buy (or download :p) the weaker cards if you don't want to. There is still bunch of sick cards if you don't want 1 every month. It is next to impossible to have championship fight in every card because of injuries and other stuff, also you need some "star power" on cards carried by Silva because he lacks the drawing power of other champs, well not Edgar but I am referring more to Penn era. :)

I can't really remember a card that turned out sucking just because it lacked huge names. Quite often the pick names (like Silva for example) ends up putting up crappy fights and some fight no-one really expected alot from turns out to be an epic war that gets the FOTN award.

So yeah... if we look at it just from casual fan's point of view I agree they need to focus all the stars in fewer cards and only do like 5 cards/year. However from true fan's point of view I think they need to get even more cards out. There is tons of young guns looking for their opportunity to fight in ufc and giving them a chance for that by increasing the amount of cards doesn't bother me at all. Plus I am sure bunch of fans appreciate seeing atleast one of the cards live. You'd pretty much have to cut all non american events out if you went with the 5 card plan and I don't really think that is too good business idea nor does it please the fans.

So yeah...

quantity with decent quality (based on # of big names not the quality of actual fights)
>
Small amount of sick stacked cards

·
Registered
750 Posts
I agree I really dont understand how Franklin and Liddel are able to headline a card this year, but with that said I'm still gonna be getting it cuz Im a crazy fan who has bought every event after ufc 98 so far.

Mirko Cro Cop is all I need on it to see it :D

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts

Does that not sound pretty sad? I understand Chuck still sells, he is my favorite fighter. But it is more than that. A Main Event for the worlds top promotion should never include guys both coming off KO losses or 2 fight losing streaks.

Its just sad that the UFC has to resort to its "casual fan" fall back, in that they can throw out a name like Chuck and sell just as many PPVs. I expect it from SF or something, which has a limited roster, but this is garbage for an event people pay 50 bucks for. It would be great seeing Wandy or Chuck as the 3rd fight of a card, but main events? Anyone who thinks this is OK is just blindly following the UFC. It is OK to question....some people think if they question an event their "MMA card"is revoked and they are just "casual" fans who don't appreciate fights. Well I'm not afraid to speak up and say this PPV is for the birds, and they are using their fanbase.

What do people criticize boxing for? Because they have over the hill "names" headlining cards, trying to earn a buck. The Golden Boy, Roy Jones Jr, Hopkins, and so on. Well the UFC is turning into that when they put their biggest "name" coming of 2 straight KO/TKO losses on a main event.

It is Weak.
If Chuck is your favorite fighter, you shouldn't be whining about him fighting. If you don't like the card, don't order it, it's that simple.

I don't care whether they are "over the hill" or not, they're both still extremely good at what they do, and I'll be watching it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have always been a UFC backer in terms of their product. But at a certain point consumers have to react to what they don't like. I think watching a PPV chipping in 5 bucks with 10 guys is a pretty cheap form of entertainment. But the cards they are putting on are sucking. And they are talking about putting more on. With injury especially they cannot afford to put on so many PPVs. Not every card has to be filled with stars, but i want relevant fights, not some old guys on the main or co main event for their "name".

I am referring to the winter PPVs that had Tito/Forrest and Couture/Coleman headlining cards...are we serious?

Last night we saw Bisping get a co-main spot, granted Forrest was injured out of the card, but that is crap. 115 we see Chuck/Franklin headline a card, a main event that has close to no relevance to the 205 division. Wow we get to see a fading Cro Cop. Not my idea of a PPV, but actually a free card. 116 has the super main event but then you have Wanderlei Silva/Sexyama. Wandy is not ranked in the top 10 of MWs. I know, Wandy sells fights and has fans, but this is not a good co main event for any card let alone the July 4th weekend card. I like me some Chuck, Wandy, Franklin, Forrest, and so on, but I'm sick of them being the main fight of a card. Its a crappy product that plays towards casual fans because of names, and I am sick of it.

117 and 118 are great, I have nothing to complain about there.

But can they cut out the old timers getting main slots? Lets see less but better cards, my god. The UFC has the deepest roster of all time in MMA, the best talent, yet because they run SOOOOOO many cards they end up with Chuck headlining and Bisping/Wandy/Cro Cop co heading. Enough already.
Wow am I glad that you don’t run the UFC! I seriously think you would bankrupt it in less than a year. What an outrageous business plan you have come up with; sell a PPV without names? That is completely and utterly ridiculous. Like it or not darling, but the casual fans pay the bills. And if the bills don’t get paid, then not only will you not get the cards you want, you won’t get any cards at all.

If every fight fan was as stuck up as you, the UFC would have sunk a long time ago.

Firstly, as some have pointed out already, you do not HAVE to buy the card. No one is coming over to your house, pointing a gun to your head, and making you buy a PPV. How about stick to your own strategy – you want five PPV’s per year? Fine. Why don’t you just pick the top five PPV’s each year and just watch those? Ignore all the other ones, that is what we call a win win. You don’t have to see a hall of famer fight a future hall of famer (how dare they mke that fight!!?), and we don’t have to reply to ridiculous threads like this one.

Seriously. I have seen some insane complaining before, but you really did take the cake. Not only did you take the cake, but you took your clothes off and rolled around in it.

Do you wake up some mornings and wonder why the earth isn’t orbiting you?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow am I glad that you don’t run the UFC! I seriously think you would bankrupt it in less than a year. What an outrageous business plan you have come up with; sell a PPV without names? That is completely and utterly ridiculous. Like it or not darling, but the casual fans pay the bills. And if the bills don’t get paid, then not only will you not get the cards you want, you won’t get any cards at all.

If every fight fan was as stuck up as you, the UFC would have sunk a long time ago.

Firstly, as some have pointed out already, you do not HAVE to buy the card. No one is coming over to your house, pointing a gun to your head, and making you buy a PPV. How about stick to your own strategy – you want five PPV’s per year? Fine. Why don’t you just pick the top five PPV’s each year and just watch those? Ignore all the other ones, that is what we call a win win. You don’t have to see a hall of famer fight a future hall of famer (how dare they mke that fight!!?), and we don’t have to reply to ridiculous threads like this one.

Seriously. I have seen some insane complaining before, but you really did take the cake. Not only did you take the cake, but you took your clothes off and rolled around in it.

Do you wake up some mornings and wonder why the earth isn’t orbiting you?
Perhaps the dumbest post I've read in some time.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chuck is a guy that Dana said was finished. Now hes back as a main eventer. I won't be watching when the company's own president says he shouldn't be fighting any more.
Great Post, Great Point.

I will watch because I am a fan. But loyal fans like myself and most everyone here should be rewarded once in a while, they used to seem to give more to the fans in terms of events, but they don't anymore.

They cater to casual fans, which I understand as a business, but it is getting sickening.

·
Registered
349 Posts
How many thread are their gonna be bashing 115 I mean like everyone else has said nobodys forcing u to buy it but I love the 115 card if u look through the whole card their are some good fights.Condit vs MacDonald/Thiago vs Kampmann/Dunham vs Griffin.And I agree Chuck is in decline but I now Franklin has been beat but it was by a clipping punch from Belfort and he didnt lose the Hendo fight IMO and theirs no shame in losing to Silva and stylistically this should be an excititng fight along with Barry vs Cro Cop.

And this is the first time I have heard a complaint about 116.Brock vs Carwin is great and Akiyama vs Silva should be exciting at least.Brown vs Lytle has potential for FOTN as both guys always bring it.Sotiropoulus vs Pellegrino should be a great ground war.I mean heck I know I buy a ppv for good fights and if their not in title contention ATM it doesnt hurt my feelings.

But I agree with the TUF Finale and Versus show those cards do look bad but heck their free no harm done.

And to be honest 117 doesnt really excite me that much Silva vs Sonnen will be a mismatch.Almedia vs Hughes will be boring.I mean Alves vs Fitch and JDS vs Nelson are good but those first two fights I mentioned put me to sleep enough to hope we might get it for free

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
if ufc 114 was crap this thread would have had some credence but if that pay-per-view is anything to go by its that star laden cards are overated & the key to a good event is what questioned get answered

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.