Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the weigh-ins on Ufc.com.

Damarques Johnson just weighed in at 172.5lbs.

I wonder if it's laziness or 170 is just too hard for him.
I feel embarassed for them when they don't make weight. Don't pretend he didn't weigh himself 50 times before going down to the weigh-ins.

Everyone else so far has made weight.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Thanks for the warning :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
missing weight is inexcusable. I can't believe the amount of fighters who leave it til about 4 hours before weigh ins to burn that last bit off.

On another note Bones looked intense!!

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Only got to see the last 4 guys!
Jones didn´t complimented Matyushenko... :thumbsdown: for him for that.

Anyway, got to see some Arianny, that´s good enough for me to be happy until tomorrow´s event! :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not making weight is BS, does the other fighter get part of your purse for that still or what are the down-sides?
Yeah, that's my understanding. I've heard people have lost half their purse for not making weight. He looked so dejected on the scale. I don't know, missing by 1.5lbs (with the 1Lb leniency they have) seems pretty severe to me.

In my life, it's nothing. But for professional fighters that have months notice for a fight, they should be able to cut accordingly.

However, maybe the guy put on too much muscle, I'm not sure. I shouldn't give him excuses.

On another note, his opponent Matthew Riddle looks ABSOLUTELY shredded. I did notice some sort of red bruise under his left arm, I hope it's nothing.

The funny part about Johnson not making weight, is that he's the only fighter I wagered any of my 'vBookie' credits on.
It was just 500 on a whim, cause I figured Johnson 'could' beat him, and it had more value than anyone else I thought that could win.

Looking at them today, Riddle looks like he'd chew him up and spit him out, haha.

Quick question for those in the know: Goldberg said "Damarques is at 172.5, he's going to cut some more weight."

Is this a fact for fighters that don't make weight? I know for those that do, they immediately fill up on electrolytes and probably gain back 10 lbs in the first few hours after the weigh-ins.

Does Damarques really have to go cut 1.5lbs? I thought they'd just penalize him.

It's probably just Goldberg trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about when he doesn't, haha.

Or it could be me :thumb02:

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Yes, they give the fighters 4 more hours to try to cut.

Reactions: boatoar

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they give the fighters 4 more hours to try to cut.
Thanks for that. I honestly wasn't aware of that grace period.

The one big fight I remember a guy not making weight was when Alves destroyed Hughes. They made a big deal of Hughes still taking the fight despite being 'much smaller'.

At the time of the weigh-in it was 2-3lbs, so to me that was laughable, but when they stood in the ring he looked a good 20 lbs heavier if not more.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
I used to cut weight for wrestling and it was PURE hell. I promissed myself after high school I would never do that again. Now I'm considering competing in MMA and the thought of cutting weight sickens me to my stomach.

But yuo guys are right. I coach high school wrestling and I always tell the kids that there is no excuse for not making the weight. Let alone at the professional level.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for that. I honestly wasn't aware of that grace period.

The one big fight I remember a guy not making weight was when Alves destroyed Hughes. They made a big deal of Hughes still taking the fight despite being 'much smaller'.

At the time of the weigh-in it was 2-3lbs, so to me that was laughable, but when they stood in the ring he looked a good 20 lbs heavier if not more.
Actually, the official weight was 174 for Alves, and that was after the extra grace period for cutting the weight. I couldn't find it recorded anywhere in a quick google search, but I seem to recall, during the event, Joe Rogan mentioning that the first weigh-in attempt Alves was at 179. ...sheesh!! That's nowhere close!
No wonder he looked so much larger than Hughes.... he was that much larger!! He also looked really vascular, leading to a lot of the rumors about his cycling 'roids.

·
Registered
329 Posts

Quick question for those in the know: Goldberg said "Damarques is at 172.5, he's going to cut some more weight."

Is this a fact for fighters that don't make weight? I know for those that do, they immediately fill up on electrolytes and probably gain back 10 lbs in the first few hours after the weigh-ins.

Does Damarques really have to go cut 1.5lbs? I thought they'd just penalize him.

It's probably just Goldberg trying to sound like he knows what he's talking about when he doesn't, haha.

Or it could be me :thumb02:
Directly from ufc.com

Below are the official weigh-in results for Sunday’s UFC on VERSUS: Jones vs Matyushenko event. This event, which is headlined by the light heavyweight bout between Jon Jones and Vladimir Matyushenko, and the middleweight showdown between Yushin Okami and Mark Munoz, airs live on VERSUS from the San Diego Sports Arena in San Diego, California beginning at 9pm ET / 6pm PT.

Main Event
Vladimir Matyushenko (206) VS Jon Jones (206)

Yushin Okami (185) VS Mark Munoz (185)
Jake Ellenberger (170.5) VS John Howard (170.5)
Takanori Gomi (156) VS Tyson Griffin (154)

Jacob Volkmann (156) VS Paul Kelly (155)
Matt Riddle (171) VS DaMarques Johnson (172*)
Igor Pokrajac (204.5) VS James Irvin (205)
Mike Massenzio (184) VS Brian Stann (186)
Charles Oliveira (154) VS Darren Elkins (154.5)
Steve Steinbeiss (185) VS Rob Kimmons (185)

*Johnson originally weighed in at 172.5. After attempting to lose the weight and only shedding 1/2 a pound, doctors disallowed him from any further attempts. He will fight Riddle at 172 pounds and be fined 20% of his purse.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, the official weight was 174 for Alves, and that was after the extra grace period for cutting the weight. I couldn't find it recorded anywhere in a quick google search, but I seem to recall, during the event, Joe Rogan mentioning that the first weigh-in attempt Alves was at 179. ...sheesh!! That's nowhere close!
No wonder he looked so much larger than Hughes.... he was that much larger!! He also looked really vascular, leading to a lot of the rumors about his cycling 'roids.

My bad. I didn't realize it was 179!!! at the actual weigh-in. That's so ridiculous. And yes I heard all the 'roid rumours. He certainly did look like a beast.

So, as far as Darkness is concerned, 20% of his purse is what? $800? I can't see this guy getting paid more than $4000 by the ufc. Maybe $5000 making it a $1000 loss.

Of course he could have a win bonus, and I suppose it'd be 20% of the total including that, but I no longer think he'll win this fight.

We shall soon see.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Directly from ufc.com

Below are the official weigh-in results for Sunday’s UFC on VERSUS: Jones vs Matyushenko event. This event, which is headlined by the light heavyweight bout between Jon Jones and Vladimir Matyushenko, and the middleweight showdown between Yushin Okami and Mark Munoz, airs live on VERSUS from the San Diego Sports Arena in San Diego, California beginning at 9pm ET / 6pm PT.

Main Event
Vladimir Matyushenko (206) VS Jon Jones (206)

Yushin Okami (185) VS Mark Munoz (185)
Jake Ellenberger (170.5) VS John Howard (170.5)
Takanori Gomi (156) VS Tyson Griffin (154)

Jacob Volkmann (156) VS Paul Kelly (155)
Matt Riddle (171) VS DaMarques Johnson (172*)
Igor Pokrajac (204.5) VS James Irvin (205)
Mike Massenzio (184) VS Brian Stann (186)
Charles Oliveira (154) VS Darren Elkins (154.5)
Steve Steinbeiss (185) VS Rob Kimmons (185)

*Johnson originally weighed in at 172.5. After attempting to lose the weight and only shedding 1/2 a pound, doctors disallowed him from any further attempts. He will fight Riddle at 172 pounds and be fined 20% of his purse.
Thanks, does the fine go to Riddle or back to Uncle Dana?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
He shed 1/2 a lb in 4 hours? I do shits that weigh more than that! 2 lbs is about half an hour on the tred with a sweatsuit? He must have been seriously not assed, never liked DaMarques and this is yet another reason.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He shed 1/2 a lb in 4 hours? I do shits that weigh more than that! 2 lbs is about half an hour on the tred with a sweatsuit? He must have been seriously not assed, never liked DaMarques and this is yet another reason.
I don't think it could be in 4 hours, because I was under the impression the weigh-ins were live at 4pm PST, and it's only 5:12pm now.

So the doctors cut off his attempt after he somehow lost 1/2 in the time from 4:30pm to sometime in the last 10 minutes haha.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks, does the fine go to Riddle or back to Uncle Dana?
Riddle

You don't know how much weight he already cut. He was most likely already dead and really couldn't do anymore. Cutting weight isn't easy, especially when you have been giving everything you got and only making it to 172.5.

It's bad on him for not making weight, and he should of been more prepared, but don't shit on the guy when you have no idea what he went through already.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Don't pretend he didn't weigh himself 50 times before going down to the weigh-ins.
I'm pretty sure he has to go down and get weighed in officially whenever they have it scheduled regardless of whether or not he knows he hasn't finished cutting. He'll have 4 more hours to try and cut and even if he doesn't make it it isn't like he will have an advantage. He came in a pound and a half over not 15 he has already dehydrated himself severely and will have less time to recover than his opponent. Missing by that little isn't being lazy it is just harder to cut those final pounds sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Riddle

You don't know how much weight he already cut. He was most likely already dead and really couldn't do anymore. Cutting weight isn't easy, especially when you have been giving everything you got and only making it to 172.5.

It's bad on him for not making weight, and he should of been more prepared, but don't shit on the guy when you have no idea what he went through already.

The fact of the matter is Johnson has got 20+ fights all at 170, he should know what he has to do to make weight by now.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm pretty sure he has to go down and get weighed in officially whenever they have it scheduled regardless of whether or not he knows he hasn't finished cutting. He'll have 4 more hours to try and cut and even if he doesn't make it it isn't like he will have an advantage. He came in a pound and a half over not 15 he has already dehydrated himself severely and will have less time to recover than his opponent. Missing by that little isn't being lazy it is just harder to cut those final pounds sometimes.
Oh absolutely. I wasn't suggesting that he just not show up for the weigh-ins. I just mean he knew he didn't make it before he got there obviously. He was shaking his head the second he got on the scale. Must be a sinking feeling. That's all I was suggesting.

And I agree that the final few pounds is harder for some guys than others. He definitely won't have an advantage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts