Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The days of Ultimate Fighting Championships competitors saying they won't fight their teammates may be over.

Following the recently concluded UFC 111 event, main-card winner Jon Fitch and UFC president Dana White had a brief exchange about the topic in which the promoter chided the welterweight contender for saying he won't fight teammate and fellow title hopeful Josh Koscheck.

After the formal press setting, White made a more definitive statement.

"It's over man," White said. "This whole 'we won't fight each other' thing is over. How long can they go on when they have two of the top guys in the division and they won't fight each other?

"It's crazy, man."

Thus far, White and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva largely have been able to avoid teammate-vs.-teammate fights. With each UFC weight class containing approximately 40 to 50 fighters, the UFC brass has suitable options to avoid, for example, matching up an American Top Team fighter with a fellow ATT competitor.

Of course, one division provides the biggest potential problem: welterweights. In fact, it's one camp – the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif. – that arguably boasts three of the division's top contender slots in Fitch, Koscheck and fellow AKA fighter Mike Swick.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported soon after UFC 111, White seemed annoyed when Fitch said the only way he'd fight Koscheck is "behind closed doors" at AKA.

"Yeah, that'll make a lot of money," White sarcastically said.

Fans seem split on the issue. Many takes White's stance that "MMA isn't a team sport" and that individuals should be ready to fight any other individual. Others, though, argue that MMA is a team sport for all but the few minutes of an actual fight; a fight camp puts that team before the individual and allows all to benefit from the all-for-one environment.

However, with the UFC's welterweight division, there could soon come a point in which the only logical matchup to determine a No. 1 contender is Fitch vs. Koscheck (or some variant with Swick, though he's lost his past two fights).

Fitch recently defeated Ben Saunders and has now won four straight since a lone UFC loss to champ Georges St-Pierre. In fact. he's 12-1 in the UFC overall. Koscheck, meanwhile, is slated to fight Paul Daley next month at UFC 113 in a fight that could determine a No. 1 contender. If Koscheck falters, it's hard to imagine him reclaiming top-contender standing without first fighting Fitch.

Fitch and Koscheck previously have stated they'd only consider fighting each other in a rare situation such as a title fight. But, they may have soon have to decide if a No. 1 contender's bout is equally rare.

Then again, if White's edict is to be believed, the decision may not be up to them to make.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/18579/ufc-president-dana-white-suggests-teammate-vs-teammate-fights-will-be-required.mma

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Yeah, welterweight is kinds screwy with Koscheck and Fitch up there and it would get a lot worse if Swick worked his way up. LHW is getting there as well with Jardine, Evans, and Jones all fighting out of Greg Jackson's camp. Then you have Machida and Little Nog as well as Anderson Silva who climbs up to LHW every now and again all at Black House.

I understand why they wouldn't want to fight, but I also understand that under some circumstances, they need to fight. After all, this is their job.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Yeah, it's going to have to happen, especially at WW.

I really want to see Kos v Fitch

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
wow Greg Jackson is going to be on the phone bitching at dana as soon as he reads this. he is soo dead set against his camp fighting each other,
I don't think Dana White cares what Greg Jackson has to say. I know Dana hates Gregs gameplans for his fighters, it's going to cost Dana $$

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
"Yeah, that'll make a lot of money,"
:sarcastic12:

Good job Dana! You said it yourself! :sarcastic12:
Forget about the sport, it's money that's the most important thing...:sarcastic12:
I think they wouldn't have a problem fighting eachother if it meant fighting for the title! I can't say how it would be to fight your teammate and good friend, trying to punch him hard in the face or GnP him. Even if it meant fighting for the belt.
I think, for now, Dana can still put toghtere a lot of great fights, without putting teammates in the same ring.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
In my opinion if you're a world class fighter and you're training partners with another world class fighter of the same weight class, you have to know that you have to beat the other guy in order to become the champion. If you don't realize that you don't deserve to be the champion anyway. I think Dana is doing the right thing here by denying AKA another title shot until they fight each other.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i met greg jackson at ufc 110; cool guy.

as for this thread i have nothing new to add. ive just wanted to say that for a long time.

Reactions: khoveraki

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
It's about time this happened to be honest. I understand the comradery between fellow team mates, but if we want to see the best fights and the best for the sport then we're gonna have to start seeing fellow team mates beating the piss out of each other...

·
Registered
53 Posts
This team mate not wanting to fight team mate is a pet hate of mine. Especially the Black House ones. Top contenders should fight each other regardless of training camp. Hell, they fight all the time in training anyway, whats the difference other than a fat paycheck?

·
SPEED KILLS
4,130 Posts
Good man Dana, now we'll start seeing who really are the top dogs, and who will buckle cus they know their team-mate can beat them...

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
You can't force them Dana!

Even if you get them into the Cage, they won't fight each other like they should.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I disagree.

Deny title shots and fights after said refusal.. done.
he can't deny two of the best Welterweights on the planet titleshots unless they start losing. If they keep winning the public will force Dana to give this guy a shot.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I disagree.

Deny title shots and fights after said refusal.. done.
he can't deny two of the best Welterweights on the planet titleshots unless they start losing. If they keep winning the public will force Dana to give this guy a shot.
Sure he could and if they refuse to fight each other then F'em.

It's either a sport or it's not, simple as that. Could you imaging two tennis players (or fill in the sport) refusing to play each other?

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Sure he could and if they refuse to fight each other then F'em.

It's either a sport or it's not, simple as that. Could you imaging two tennis players (or fill in the sport) refusing to play each other?
Fighting is not a game!

And yes even if Kos and Fitch say NO! He can't deny these guys a title shot, if they both keep winning. The whole fanbase and public would give Dana way to much pressure. Of course, Dana would probably delay them a shot as long as he could. But he can't do that forever unless the start losing.

And he can't fire them either, cause they are two of the best WW's in the World right now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If a fighter refuses a number one contender fight then they're denying themselves the opportunity and can't blame Dana White or anyone else for the missed chance.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts