Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UFC Quick Quote: A little 'White' lie is an unfortunate part of 'reality' -- get over it

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/15/1423773/ufc-quick-quote-a-little-white-lie

by Jesse Holland on Apr 15, 2010 10:10 AM EDT

"When we have a reality show where everything's a secret, you're gonna have to watch it. Guess what? You can't know and it's not you're privilege to know. And if people are upset with that too bad. It's a reality show. First of all, SPIKE paid for this show. For me to go out and release this information, it's insane you can't do it. It would be like finding out what happens on 'Survivor' after they film it. The people who feel like they've been lied to, too bad. Get over it. It's a reality show."

UFC President Dana White (via Yahoo Sports) makes no apologies for his misdirection in the cast changes that were reported for this season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Season 11. When news broke that Coach Tito Ortiz was replaced by Rich Franklin midway through the season, White refuted the story and said "Ace" was being paired up with Randy Couture instead. He also told the Canadian press that Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell were "definitely" main eventing at UFC 115 on June 12 in Vancouver. Anyone think the Octagon boss should have replied with "No comment" or "Watch and find out?" Or was he simply doing what was best for the company? Where do you stand on this Maniacs?

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
I stand by him, whats the point of ruining the show for everyone before they air it? i just wish they didnt annouce the Franklin fight and let us find out on the show. I hate when things get spoiled.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
If they'd withheld the main event change after tickets went on sale, people would have something to complain about, but they didn't, so they don't.

·
Registered
457 Posts
He made the right call. I'm a little surprised that they outright lied about it, but TUF is huge for the UFC and one fighter's problems (even though he's a coach) shouldn't be acomplete buiness set back. Can't wait till they announce: "Next week, Tito leaves the show..."

Imagine the ratings... may be competitive to the Kimbo fight from last season...

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I actually think Dana screwed up. This would have been the correct move if we were going to find out about the coaching change before the fight change was announced and tickets went on sale.

The UFC blew their wad in having to announce the change anyways, they should have made mention of something happening in the future that would cause the fight to change and that we would have to keep tuning in to find out what it is.

·
Registered
773 Posts
does anybody know why they dont put this show out as it happens....i dont mean live but for example put last weeks stuff on this week....how much editing could they possibly need

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
does anybody know why they dont put this show out as it happens....i dont mean live but for example put last weeks stuff on this week....how much editing could they possibly need
They're telling a story, not airing a documentary. They don't know who to focus on or what's going to happen until they get a more complete picture.

Not to mention, the show itself is tied to the coaches' fight. They can't be training and filming a TV show at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.