Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/fedor-is-rocking-clinch-gear

- By Pedro Carrasco of BJPENN.COM.

I am privy to certain details that I just got authorization to release to the public.

Initially, Fedor Emelianenko, the number one heavyweight fighter in the world, secured a deal to sport the always growing and ever popular “TapOut” clothing line at this weekend’s Strikeforce events.

However, during my time here in San Jose, while spending time with very legitimate sources close to the situation, I was advised that certain parties within the UFC halted TapOuts participation in the event and threatened a UFC lifetime ban, if Emelianenko came out wearing their line.

Similarly, In Fedor’s last outing he came out wearing the ever popular RVCA clothing line which resulted in the UFC’s temporary ban from the Orange County based lifestyle Apparel Company. We witnessed evidence of said ban when UFC star BJ Penn did not come out in his traditional RVCA gear during his title fight against Frankie Edgar.

RVCA has since made amends and as is now Octagon worthy once again. However TapOut was apparently not willing to take on the same gamble as their Orange County counterpart and pulled the deal from Fedor, just days before Strikeforce goes live.

In an industry monopolized by the UFC, getting banned from their fighters is a huge blow to any company trying to make it to the big stage. TapOut opted to keep their relationship with the UFC intact and the Russian based M-1 management team secured the deal with Dan Henderson’s Clinch Gear.

I do not want to get into bashing the UFC; it is after all a business. As every fan knows, they run a very aggressive ship out of Las Vegas and I can understand why they do what they do.

But what about Fedor? Arguably, the best fighter of all time has now had two major sponsors black listed from working with him due to the UFC’s stranglehold on the industry. Obviously, Dan Henderson has nothing to lose from this golden opportunity, so that is exactly why Fedor will be supporting Clinch Gear Tomorrow Night.

It makes one wonder, how much money in endorsements the UFC has cost Fedor in this fight, and any possible future fights from this point forward. The buck won’t stop at RVCA or TapOut; I think it’s safe to say that as long as Fedor is fighting on a different stage, the UFC will continually go after his sponsors in an attempt to halt any UFC related brand from entering a major event with one of the largest drawing fighters in the world.

The UFC and TapOut family is a long established relationship, their history is deeper than I have time to describe, and the leverage the UFC used against one of their longest partners really proves that no one is exempt from this policy.

Sorry A-Z T-shirt companies, Fedor is off Limits!

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
DANA: if these motherfuckers think they can sponser the most irrelevent HW in the world than they got another thing coming.

lorenzo:dana wait. they cancelled the sponsership, it's all good now, we've got nothing to worry about

DANA:good ***zips fly up and walks away from mask's grave***

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
DANA: if these motherfuckers think they can sponser the most irrelevent HW in the world than they got another thing coming.
Haha, that's what I've been thinking. That's not even a business decision, that's just flat out personal. :confused05:

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
You guys must be pretty young or low-exerienced professionely.

Nothing strange or weird about UFC position.
Just a good business measure!
Not syaing it´s good, just saying it´s normal in our world´s standarts...

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
How is this a business decision? The UFC doesn't lose anything if TapOut sponsors Fedor. Nobody benefits from TapOut not sponsoring Fedor. All that's gonna happen is TapOut getting less exposure and Fedor not getting money.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
How is this a business decision? The UFC doesn't lose anything if TapOut sponsors Fedor. Nobody benefits from TapOut not sponsoring Fedor. All that's gonna happen is TapOut getting less exposure and Fedor not getting money.
Come on, how is it not a business decision?
The big company can´t let the smaller org having the same sponsors, that´s just placing the stones at the same level...

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Come on, how is it not a business decision?
The big company can´t let the smaller org having the same sponsors, that´s just placing the stones at the same level...
It's not about the orgs, it's about Fedor. There are plenty of fighter outside of the UFC who are sponsored by TapOut. The UFC does not want to make TapOut quit Strikeforce or any other org, they just want to make sure Fedor can't fight with TapOut on his shorts. That's not business, that's personal.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
It makes perfect since. If you can block Fedor from getting the top sponsorships until he comes into the UFC, it gives Fedor all the more reason to have to join the UFC.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Not surprising, Tapout and UFC have essentially been business partners for the last 5 years so UFC will always act on something they believe will hurt their brand.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts

i have never been one of those people that thinks dana is the anti-christ and still don't think that. but this is childish and just a personal agenda by dana.
he wises that people believe the things he does and anybody who doesn't is a piece of shit.

it's like some kid going check out my XBOX 380 and my ton of games so everyone comes around frequently. than someone comes along with a PS3 but with very few games and his friends start playing this other kids PS3 aswell as playing his XBOX 360 and the kid can't except that someone else is enjoying something that he has not provided so he tells everyone that they have to choose between playing his Xbox or the other kids PS3 and if they choose to play the other guys game than they are not welcome regardless of how much they have done for or known each other. it's only him that matters

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts

I understand business and UFC may be within their rights to do this...but this has very little to do with business, its personal, very personal.

UFC hasnt banned tapout from sponsoring non UFC events? but they have singled out a fighter who refuses to do business with UFC and are trying to make sure he cant do business with anyone else. There definitely could be some type of antitrust issues or unfair business practice case right there. Now i'm fully aware UFC is a private company and can cut ties or do business with who ever they choose to(which is great) but this particular issue seems abusive and counter productive to their goal of signing Fedor. It probably irritates him like it does me.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I don't think this is surprising, and actually I think its a clever move, Dana is ensuring that the UFC is the mma promotion.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
It makes Fedor's SF contract worth less money and therefore makes the UFC contract more financially appealing.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
The UFC is simply adding to M1's arguments against Fedor going to the UFC. If a company prevented me from making $$, I sure would be less inclined to work for them in the future.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I see this happen every day to subcontractors in the construction industry.

Boss to me: just let them know if they're bidding on that project they probably won't have time for our future projects.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The UFC is simply adding to M1's arguments against Fedor going to the UFC. If a company prevented me from making $$, I sure would be less inclined to work for them in the future.
So if you are making less money in one company... you will stay with that company because their nicer people. OK :thumb02:

I know this does not really work against Fedor since he is rich but I would go to the UFC if they are trying their hardest to get me there. More money, better fights, better exposure, better retirment.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts