Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it happens, it's long overdue.

Keen to the growing popularity of MMA, Brazilian television network Rede TV! has been backing the style in Brazil in an effort to curb the negative image the sport still retains in a large segment of the country’s population. Sports director at the network Terence Paiva admitted in an interview on the Abril.com website that he will throw even more support behind the sport and guarantees the UFC will return to Brazil in 2011.

“People exaggerate, they say Rede TV! will bring it (the UFC) and things like that. That’s not the way it works. We’re partners with the UFC and we’ll give them all the support they need to come here. The truth is that they will be here in 2011. That’s a done deal. There are a few details needing to be ironed out, like where it’s going to be and what not. Now they see us as a market,” said Terence.

According to the article, there is a chance the channel will invest in a Brazilian edition of the The Ultimate Fighter reality show. In the interview, Terence further clarifies questions regarding broadcast rights for the fights, which are now held exclusively by Combate channel in Brazil, which could change in 2011.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/mma/story/index.html?id=22041

Brazil's an emerging economy with some huge markets and UFC could so easily stack a card with popular native sons (like, duh...).

Zuffa should start being a little kinder to this country, if you ask me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
they could with the right marketing, but MMA isnt that big here, though every1 loves to see a fight but not many watch UFC but i do think its about time!

would be awesome if they had an event in curitiba, wont happen, probably gonna be in rio, but they should do one here, the best fighters come from here:thumb02:

what got me more excited is the rumored brazilian TUF aaannnd a better channel! finally! i want to watch TUF and not have to download it, it would be sweet, and we would could watch the countdown for free, man... i hope the television deal actually becomes decent! great news for me! thanks for posting:)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Its like playing the lottery to see which legends will be there. I'd bet on wandy. maybe some nogueira, and probably a title fight in MW or LHW.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I know, but like MrObjective said, the country is rapidly on the rise. It may be better to get a foothold in the door early, even if there are better deals elsewhere.
yes brazil is getting bigger and bigger and was one of the few places that didnt even really suffer with this new economic crises actually so i agree man UFC should really think about investing a lot in brazil

first of all brazil is a great place for MMA because we are young, by that i mean most of our population is in the 18-25 and we all love good fights, the problem is UFC is something not many ppl can watch, only if you have cable, and most brazilians dont, but if they managed to land a deal with one of our basic channles, like globo, every1 watches that, this year on our big brother reality show the last week got close to 150 million votes....thats crazy

its a channel every1 watches, and if they got on that channel and market themselves well MMA would explode here, every1 who gets a taste of UFC becomes a fan here, more and more ppl are training MMA here, they would get much more talent, and a huge fanbase, brazil is rising and most importantly most of our population is young, get them hooked while you can UFC:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I know, but like MrObjective said, the country is rapidly on the rise. It may be better to get a foothold in the door early, even if there are better deals elsewhere.
Seriously, if UFC can get a strangle like it has on the US and Canada on one of the BRIC countries - give away cheap television contracts - like free PPVs to England (a country in all reality is on the tipping point of bankruptcy), get the country really in to the sport. Have ring-side commentators in their own national language (except India I guess, maybe they can benefit from some British accented commentators).

They can ride the future super powers with middle class populations are growing. Go look at the Dow and compare it to the Mumbai SENSEX, Chinese Hang Seng or Shanhai 100, Russian Indices like NYSE: RSX, or Brazil's BOVESPA. I made plenty of of money on my one 'emerging market' fund while I was doing deployments (paying no capital gains in tax free hostile fire/imminent danger zones), and i am steering clear of the US dollar as a civilian while i'm back in school.

I could easily see MMA as the world's #2 sport behind Soccer, and get the elite fighters - the top 100 or so - bigger pay days. Although Zuffa's going to have to do a lot of compromising.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Seriously, if UFC can get a strangle like it has on the US and Canada on one of the BRIC countries - give away cheap television contracts - like free PPVs to England (a country in all reality is on the tipping point of bankruptcy), get the country really in to the sport. Have ring-side commentators in their own national language (except India I guess, maybe they can benefit from some British accented commentators).

They can ride the future super powers with middle class populations are growing. Go look at the Dow and compare it to the Mumbai SENSEX, Chinese Hang Seng or Shanhai 100, Russian Indices like NYSE: RSX, or Brazil's BOVESPA. I made plenty of of money on my one 'emerging market' fund while I was doing deployments (paying no capital gains in tax free hostile fire/imminent danger zones), and i am steering clear of the US dollar as a civilian while i'm back in school.

I could easily see MMA as the world's #2 sport behind Soccer, and get the elite fighters - the top 100 or so - bigger pay days. Although Zuffa's going to have to do a lot of compromising.
you know that is interesting, it seems MMA is one of those ''sports'' where its globally accepted, pretty much every country enjoys watching it, with the right money, marketing and plans maybe MMA could be the #2 sport, it sure has a lot more potential than any other

·
Registered
780 Posts
Screw #2, Dana is only 40, a guy like him could turn it into a sport that could become #1. Fighting is something that is global, almost every country has its own martial arts, if it gets global, the fights get better, the sport gets bigger, better for us the viewer.

Reactions: Dtwizzy2k5

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Screw #2, Dana is only 40, a guy like him could turn it into a sport that could become #1. Fighting is something that is global, almost every country has its own martial arts, if it gets global, the fights get better, the sport gets bigger, better for us the viewer.
That's true, no matter what country or culture you are from, when a fight breaks out everybody stops in awe to watch what's happening. Whether a fight breaks out on the streets, at work, during a soccer game, or in the octagon, it captivates the world's interest. Fighting is something that inherently piques the human interest, and it's really just a matter of economics and marketing to make MMA the worlds biggest sport.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
what fights could show up? When ufc comes to the uk the card is full of british fighters, so no doubt this card would be full of brazilians. this card could be incredibly stacked.

imagine some of the fights that could be signed

Anderson Silva/Shogun - if silva gets through sonnen and belfort, and shogun bests rashad then this fight is a huge possibilty.

Shogun/Machida III - if they both keep winning this fight WILL happen in 2011

Junior Dos Santos vs cain/brock

Wandy/Belfort II - if belfort loses to silva and wandy keeps winning then this is one fight i want to see. At this point i'd take belfort, but it'd be one hell of a fight.

Aldo/current champ - Aldo is quickly clearing out the fw division plus he's bound to get bigger seeing as he's so young. i could see him getting a big fight at 155 against the likes of florian, and with a win he would be worthy of a title shot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
thats interesting to hear that a large amount of Brazilians have negative outlook on the sport. I thought it would be the opposite. I think a UFC card in Brazil would without a doubt be the best MMA event ever to take place, there would obviously be bad ass fights and a crazy audience, The Brazilian fighters would feed of the crowd and fight there asses off for honor and respect from there fellow countrymen. It would be badass if they did Rua vs Machida 3 fight there. For some reason people seem to think that Rua has Machida's number, i strongly disagree and think then any time these two guys fight its a toss up. They are like the Frazier/Ali of MMA.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts