Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=4545

Jake makes roughly $50,000 a fight in Strikeforce according to the Florida commission. Gina Carano is Strikeforce's highest paid fighter at $125,000. THe UFC can easily afford to make the following offer to Jake:

$250,000 to show
$125,000 to win
Plus PPV Revenue

Strikeforce would have to make Jake by far it's highest paid fighter to keep him.

Another way the UFC could beat Strikeforce's matching clause is by using a poison pill clause such as:
If during the term of the contract fighter competes in anything other than an octagonal fenced area fighter will be paid $10,000,000.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts

THe UFC can easily afford to make the following offer to Jake:

$250,000 to show
$125,000 to win
Plus PPV Revenue
Are you kidding? The UFC would never and I mean never pay Jake all that money. Jake is still not super well known to the average MMA fan even though he beat Hendo. If more people knew Jake and all the fans were all talking about him than yes I could see the UFC doing that. As it stands now, I don't think Jake does not have enough fans behind him to merit paying him $300+ k per fight.

If they ever pay them that much I'll be very surprised.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Jake makes roughly $50,000 a fight in Strikeforce according to the Florida commission. Gina Carano is Strikeforce's highest paid fighter at $125,000. THe UFC can easily afford to make the following offer to Jake:

$250,000 to show
$125,000 to win
Plus PPV Revenue

Strikeforce would have to make Jake by far it's highest paid fighter to keep him.
Only way he'd get paid that much is if he somehow beat GSP because his hype would be out the roof.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
Are you kidding? The UFC would never and I mean never pay Jake all that money. Jake is still not super well known to the average MMA fan even though he beat Hendo. If more people knew Jake and all the fans were all talking about him than yes I could see the UFC doing that. As it stands now, I don't think Jake does not have enough fans behind him to merit paying him $300+ k per fight.

If they ever pay them that much I'll be very surprised.

Yeah maybe if Shields manages to rocket to the top and makes a strong run for the title ..maybe but not till then

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
average fans dont know who he is, hardcore fans think hes a bitch.

I don't see him making anything near that.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
He wont make anywhere near 200k on a base salary, He is less known then Dan Henderson to casual UFC fans and the UFC didnt wanna pay him a whole lot.

I can see him getting somewhere around 100-150k a fight + win bonus, no PPV money.

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
He wont make anywhere near 200k on a base salary, He is less known then Dan Henderson to casual UFC fans and the UFC didnt wanna pay him a whole lot.

I can see him getting somewhere around 100-150k a fight + win bonus, no PPV money.
I think you're right but even $100k seems like a lot with the fact not many fans know anything about him. He won't have much hype initially and if he loses his first fight, the UFC would be pissed they paid him so much.

So i'm pretty sure they will pay him around $100k, and I am guessing a 3 fight contract. Assuming they'll match him up with some striker who doesn't have excellent TDD and then once he's had one or two fights they'll set him up with a true contender. If Jake wins those fights they'd probably offer him a title shot and renegotiate his contract.

But before he has a few fights and wins and manages by some stroke of luck to get the fans behind him, only then would the UFC hype him up and pay him the top dollars.

At least that's what I think.

you'd have to give him a ppv cut simply because he would be main or co main eventing right away
The UFC doesn't give every single fighter who fights in a main or co-main event PPV cuts, but if you can find a source which states they do, please post a link.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I think you're right but even $100k seems like a lot with the fact not many fans know anything about him. He won't have much hype initially and if he loses his first fight, the UFC would be pissed they paid him so much.

So i'm pretty sure they will pay him around $100k, and I am guessing a 3 fight contract. Assuming they'll match him up with some striker who doesn't have excellent TDD and then once he's had one or two fights they'll set him up with a true contender. If Jake wins those fights they'd probably offer him a title shot and renegotiate his contract.

But before he has a few fights and wins and manages by some stroke of luck to get the fans behind him, only then would the UFC hype him up and pay him the top dollars.

At least that's what I think.

The UFC doesn't give every single fighter who fights in a main or co-main event PPV cuts, but if you can find a source which states they do, please post a link.
I never said they all do get a cut. I'm just saying with Shields first match presumably being against GSP then I think they will and should. He could be champion after 1 fight so I don't think his manager will let him sign any contract not containing a ppv cut.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
average fans dont know who he is, hardcore fans think hes a bitch.

I don't see him making anything near that.
Uh, I'm a hardcore MMA fan, and I think Jake Shields has some of the best ground skills in all of MMA. He's not GSP, but he's top five easily.

I agree with you. 100k-150k at best. Though with PPV bonuses if he fought someone popular, and he subbed them. He'd start to make near to 200k with a 150 base rate and PPVs.

To the OP. All in all, most casuals don't know Shields. Brawl fans hate Shields. But ignorant brawl fans hate GSP too, so f*** 'em! To become even close to the levels you suggested he'dhave to soundly submit a very popular WW. Swick or something to that regard maybe.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Uh, I'm a hardcore MMA fan, and I think Jake Shields has some of the best ground skills in all of MMA. He's not GSP, but he's top five easily.
Oh absolutely.

He's still a bitch and not many hardcores like him. But he certainly has elite wrestling and ground skills.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Oh absolutely.

He's still a bitch and not many hardcores like him. But he certainly has elite wrestling and ground skills.
I think a lot of his hate comes from not relying on his striking, and not having very powerful striking at that. He puts on drawn out clinics against most opponents. The fight vs Miller was rather entertaining technically IMO. I think people see him a boring GSP wanna-be. Also he has said some shitty things in interviews.

Well, just curious, you can tell me to f*** off for it, but why don't you like him?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I agree with Xeb, Shields is a bitch. Not because I think he's a boring fighter (which I think he's not), but because of how he "handled" the Miller situation. He didn't land the first strike, but he was part of the gang that jumped Miller. As far as I'm concerned I'm not interested in seeing him, Melendez or the Diaz brothers fight ever again. The fact that Dana cut Daley but wants to sign Shields is a mystery to me.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I think a lot of his hate comes from not relying on his striking, and not having very powerful striking at that. He puts on drawn out clinics against most opponents. The fight vs Miller was rather entertaining technically IMO. I think people see him a boring GSP wanna-be. Also he has said some shitty things in interviews.

Well, just curious, you can tell me to f*** off for it, but why don't you like him?
Well for me its a combination of things. I think he's a moderately boring fighter. And its not because he's not a striker, I could watch damien maia on the ground all day because its like having sex with a super model, just sweet. To me he seems content to just hug people down for a decision rather than trying to finish them anymore. The most damage he did to miller was in the staph infection he gave to him during their fight, and thats about it. Was able to use his amazing skills on hendo by climbing to mount numerous times over 25minutes... Yet came no where near hurting or stopping him on the ground, in fact after the fight hendo looked like he went for a long run. Then there goes to his psychotic moment of helping jump miller for no reason. As a person I don't have much respect for him or the kind of person he is, and I don't find him a very entertaining fighter. Or something like that is why I don't really care for him.

And nay sir, do not f*** off, in fact f*** on :thumb02: (whatever that means)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.