Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some old Ricco Rodriguez fights and it got me wondering. The UFC and mma in general have evolved pretty drastically over the past five to ten years, not only in popularity and accessibility, but also in the ever evolving skill of the athletes that compete. I started to wonder how guys like Ricco (I know Ricco isnt that old,,but he has clearly lost it), Pedro Rizzo, Bas Rutten, Mark Kerr, Coleman(still in the UFC, but seen much better days) etc. would do if they were in there prime and competeing in the UFC right now? I think Ricco could still be very competitive if he hadnt derailed his life with drugs and whatever else. Feel free to add anyone i didnt mention, i was just throwing out some examples, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Ricco would still be competitive, people forget just how much of a beast a prime Rodriguez was, he ran through the who's who of the UFC HW division at the time running over guys like Couture, Monson, Arlovski and Buentello. Ricco was a big strong world class grappler.

On a side note Ricco has really rededicated himself and has dropped a ton of weight, he is actually looking to drop to 205 and is hoping to return to the UFC, here is a pic of fatty ricco and what he looks like now, reportedly at 235 pounds (which is making 205 seem very possible)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was watching some old Ricco Rodriguez fights and it got me wondering. The UFC and mma in general have evolved pretty drastically over the past five to ten years, not only in popularity and accessibility, but also in the ever evolving skill of the athletes that compete. I started to wonder how guys like Ricco (I know Ricco isnt that old,,but he has clearly lost it), Pedro Rizzo, Bas Rutten, Mark Kerr, Coleman(still in the UFC, but seen much better days) etc. would do if they were in there prime and competeing in the UFC right now? I think Ricco could still be very competitive if he hadnt derailed his life with drugs and whatever else. Feel free to add anyone i didnt mention, i was just throwing out some examples, thoughts?
Good thread topic my pick to dominate would be Bas Rutten his striking was top notch he was quick his grappling was good. He had some nasty leg kicks.I think Bas Rutten would have smashed Royce Gracie in the early UFCS. BTW Bas vrs Big Nog wow that would be a treat. BTW Rizzo eh he got taken down at will by Randy when he was in his prime. Great leg kicks knockout power in both hands tdd defense eh alittle suspect.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tito Ortiz would do pretty well i think...

No seriously, if Tito has actually gotten healthy and gets a win or 2, thats a big deal considering how long he's been around, and how polarizing he always is.

His style hasnt evolved a whole lot but he has improved technique enough to stay at a high level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts