Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as fighters go in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Dennis Hallman isn't considered one of the big names of the sport. He's been around for 12 years, and over 80 fighters has managed to have his hand raised 64 times, but at the elite level of the UFC, his record is a measly 1-4.

That doesn't make comments he made today to HDNet's Inside MMA show any less important, however, as Hallman made the claim that at least 50% of current fighters use steroids and performance enhancing drugs.

"In our sport right now, easy, I'm gonna throw the lowest number I possibly can, it's fifty percent of people taking them - easy - if not more," said the 34-year-old journeyman.

Hallman continued, "I know a ton of people in the industry, and that's the number."

In making the claim, Hallman stated that he didn't have a problem with steroid use, as long as it was to get over injuries and not to increase strength.

"See, my opinion is that [...] if you have a headache you take an aspirin to make yourself feel better," he said. "If you have an injury, a serious injury and you take steroids to heal you, that's the smart thing to do. I mean, that's what's going to heal your body. If you taking steroids to make yourself a better fighter because you don't have the skill level or something like that, then that's a problem."

Hallman was suspended for a year and fined $2500 for testing positive to the drugs Drostanolone and Nandralone to heal after a neck injury.

"I took steroids to help my neck injury heal after I had a discectomy on my C-5, 6 and 7," he said at the time, adding he felt steroids wee counter-productive for MMA as they decrease cardio.

Hallman claimed the year break helped him "grow up a little as a fighter" and "showed me that I didn't have to fight every time a fight came up."

UFC welterweight champion Georges St Pierre faced steroid allegations this week from title challenger, Josh Koschek, who claimed fellow fighter BJ Penn had told him he thought GSP juiced. Koscheck said he wanted blood tests for his upcoming fight against St Pierre, something the Canadian welcomed without question.

Koscheck later apologized for his statement and Penn denied the allegation. UFC President Dana White was less than impressed, telling the Las Vegas Sun, "I think that's what an athletic commission is for [...] The athletic commissions have been around for a long time. When fighters start talking about other guys being drug tested? Shut up. Worry about you."

Previous UFC champions Sean Sherk and Tim Sylvia have both faced steroid suspensions in the past, and Hall-of-Famer Ken Shamrock is currently serving a suspension for a positive drug test picked up while toiling on the backwoods fight circuit.

Former fight promotion Affliction folded when a main event star, Josh Barnett, failed a pre-fight drug test last year and had to be pulled from a make-or-break fight card with the company. The positive result was his third.

Previously, UFC fighters Vitor Belfort, Kimo Leopoldo, Stephan Bonnar, Royce Gracie, Phil Baroni, Nate Marquardt, Hermes Franca, Anthony Torres, Bill Mahood, and Chris Leben have tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, though Baroni and Marquardt received negative results upon re-testing.

Mahood will serve as a cageside judge for the Vancouver Athletic Commission at UFC 115.

For it's part, the Ultimate Fighting Championship has always ceded to testing procedures from the athletic commissions overseeing the sport and respected suspensions for positives, though White admitted to Playboy Magazine in 2008 that he had inadvertently taken steroids in high school whena Vegas doctor pescribed them as part of a 'weight gain' program.

He told the Las Vegas Sun today, "It's been a long time since somebody tested positive for steroids [in the UFC]. When we first took over, guys were popping here and there and I said, 'You have to be a moron to do steroids in this sport.' It's just dumb."

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/fighter+Dennis+Hallman+claims+fighters+take+performance+enhancing+drugs/3142609/story.html

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I hate people who use steroids with a passion. I wouldn't be surprised if half of all MMA fighters were on it. You've got guys in pro boxing, a sport that's legendary, using roids...I wouldn't see why there wouldn't be an influx of roid users in such a new sport.

·
Registered
877 Posts
As far as fighters go in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Dennis Hallman isn't considered one of the big names of the sport. He's been around for 12 years, and over 80 fighters has managed to have his hand raised 64 times, but at the elite level of the UFC, his record is a measly 1-4.

That doesn't make comments he made today to HDNet's Inside MMA show any less important, however, as Hallman made the claim that at least 50% of current fighters use steroids and performance enhancing drugs.

"In our sport right now, easy, I'm gonna throw the lowest number I possibly can, it's fifty percent of people taking them - easy - if not more," said the 34-year-old journeyman.

Hallman continued, "I know a ton of people in the industry, and that's the number."

In making the claim, Hallman stated that he didn't have a problem with steroid use, as long as it was to get over injuries and not to increase strength.

"See, my opinion is that [...] if you have a headache you take an aspirin to make yourself feel better," he said. "If you have an injury, a serious injury and you take steroids to heal you, that's the smart thing to do. I mean, that's what's going to heal your body. If you taking steroids to make yourself a better fighter because you don't have the skill level or something like that, then that's a problem."

Hallman was suspended for a year and fined $2500 for testing positive to the drugs Drostanolone and Nandralone to heal after a neck injury.

"I took steroids to help my neck injury heal after I had a discectomy on my C-5, 6 and 7," he said at the time, adding he felt steroids wee counter-productive for MMA as they decrease cardio.

Hallman claimed the year break helped him "grow up a little as a fighter" and "showed me that I didn't have to fight every time a fight came up."

UFC welterweight champion Georges St Pierre faced steroid allegations this week from title challenger, Josh Koschek, who claimed fellow fighter BJ Penn had told him he thought GSP juiced. Koscheck said he wanted blood tests for his upcoming fight against St Pierre, something the Canadian welcomed without question.

Koscheck later apologized for his statement and Penn denied the allegation. UFC President Dana White was less than impressed, telling the Las Vegas Sun, "I think that's what an athletic commission is for [...] The athletic commissions have been around for a long time. When fighters start talking about other guys being drug tested? Shut up. Worry about you."

Previous UFC champions Sean Sherk and Tim Sylvia have both faced steroid suspensions in the past, and Hall-of-Famer Ken Shamrock is currently serving a suspension for a positive drug test picked up while toiling on the backwoods fight circuit.

Former fight promotion Affliction folded when a main event star, Josh Barnett, failed a pre-fight drug test last year and had to be pulled from a make-or-break fight card with the company. The positive result was his third.

Previously, UFC fighters Vitor Belfort, Kimo Leopoldo, Stephan Bonnar, Royce Gracie, Phil Baroni, Nate Marquardt, Hermes Franca, Anthony Torres, Bill Mahood, and Chris Leben have tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, though Baroni and Marquardt received negative results upon re-testing.

Mahood will serve as a cageside judge for the Vancouver Athletic Commission at UFC 115.

For it's part, the Ultimate Fighting Championship has always ceded to testing procedures from the athletic commissions overseeing the sport and respected suspensions for positives, though White admitted to Playboy Magazine in 2008 that he had inadvertently taken steroids in high school whena Vegas doctor pescribed them as part of a 'weight gain' program.

He told the Las Vegas Sun today, "It's been a long time since somebody tested positive for steroids [in the UFC]. When we first took over, guys were popping here and there and I said, 'You have to be a moron to do steroids in this sport.' It's just dumb."

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/fighter+Dennis+Hallman+claims+fighters+take+performance+enhancing+drugs/3142609/story.html

You beat me by three minutes:thumbsup:

Unfortunatly, performance enhacing drugs are more widely used than it appears in most sports.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The "steroids help me to recover from injuries" excuse is the biggest joke in sports. It's right up there with "I've never tested positive" for steroids.

Drug use is rampant and the athletes will always be one step ahead of the latest test. It's a cat and mouse game to be sure, but the mouse in sports gets away from the cat more often than not.

Just accept the reality that literally every top level fighter and the majority of pros in MMA are using PED's. The same is true in professional cycling and likely football as well.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Just accept the reality that literally every top level fighter and the majority of pros in MMA are using PED's. The same is true in professional cycling and likely football as well.
Thats very true!

Cycling is really the best example for this. If everybody is on PED's it doesn't make a difference anymore. Because if everybody is using it, it still wins the better and more skilled fighter.

Same as in cycling when Lance Armstrong won every Race. He wasn't the only one who was using this stuff, but still won all the races. He was simply the best bicycler in the World at this time, with or without PED's and Jan Ullrich was only the second best guy. Both had the best Doctors and got the same stuff. But Lance won simply because he was better!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thats very true!

Cycling is really the best example for this. If everybody is on PED's it doesn't make a difference anymore. Because if everybody is using it, it still wins the better and more skilled fighter.

Same as in cycling when Lance Armstrong won every Race. He wasn't the only one who was using this stuff, but still won all the races. He was simply the best bicycler in the World at this time, with or without PED's and Jan Ullrich was only the second best guy. Both had the best Doctors and got the same stuff. But Lance won simply because he was better!
thats what it sure sounds like

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just because you haven't been caught using steroids, doesn't mean you're not using them.
It's a horrible fact but I think we have to face that a lot of guys are on the juice. You can hide behind the fact everyone else is on it, or if you're smart enough to cycle it and not get caught it's a clean advantage.
Put yourself in their position, you trained and sacrificed everything you have, and you have the biggest fight of your life coming up. You can cheat and gain an unfair advantage, you don't even know if who you're fighting isn't cheating. Yeah, life isn't so perfect unfortunately.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thats very true!

No offense, but this makes no sense at all.

The only way this could be even a little bit true was if every single person in MMA (or whatever sport in question) was using, literally 100%. That is obviously not the case, so even assuming rampant drug use, there would still be a large number of clean atheletes.

Is this what you are going to tell the ones not using steroids? Cheating is ok if everybody does it! Just like stealing would be ok if everyone did it, or assault......see where this is going?

Cheating is cheating, the fact a lot of people do it doesn't change anything.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
No no you got that the wrong way. I am not saying that cheating is ok at all. But "If" everybody does it (I know 50% is only the half) then we would have equality again. Just like in the cycling Sport. It will always win the better guy with ot without PED's. But that of course contains that everybody uses it wich you will never know probably..

The only bad thing would be the consequences for the fighter itself from using those kind of chemical substance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.