Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A persistent knee injury has UFC standout Anthony Johnson (8-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) contemplating a move to middleweight.

Johnson, a welterweight who cuts as much as 50 pounds to make the 170-pound limit, was in February forced to withdraw from a bout with rival John Howard at UFC on Versus 1 because of the injury. He has struggled since to get his knee back to 100 percent.

"He has to maintain a very diligent cardio routine to stay in striking range of 170 (pounds)," Johnson's manager, Ken Pavia, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Because of his knee injury, his weight has gotten up a little bit, and we don't want to delay his comeback because of a weight issue. So we're entertaining the possibility of taking a fight at 185 (pounds)."

Johnson underwent knee surgery a month ago and has not fought since welterweight contender Josh Koscheck submitted him at UFC 106 this past November. The loss snapped a three-fight streak of wins by TKO or KO.

Johnson, who was traveling today and unreachable for comment, has previously spoken about the arduous process of shedding so many pounds and his high walk-around weight between fights.

"Anthony Johnson is one of our more solid light heavyweights right now," Pavia said today. "I'm pretty sure he's bigger than Tito (Ortiz)."

A severely dehydrated Johnson needed to be carried to the weigh-ins and missed weight by five pounds for his fight with Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 104 this past October (he was allowed a one-pound overage for the non-title fight). He defeated the Japanese fighter by first-round TKO.

Johnson has not yet agreed to the move, and Pavia said any weight change will be temporary. There is no concrete timetable for the his return and no current offers to appear at middleweight.

"It's touch and go until he reaches another level of rehabilitation," Pavia said. "He's anxious to go, and we're holding him back because we don't want the injury to be re-occurring.

The UFC has no objections to Johnson's move, he added.

"[UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva has a couple rules that he lives by, one of which is he'll never tell a fighter what weight to fight at, and he'll never make a fighter fight injured," Pavia said. "And he'll tell you that over and over again.

"That being said, the last time he saw [Johnson], he turned to me and said, 'C'mon, dude.' So that's one of the reasons we're entertaining an [185 pound] fight. It's not for sure yet.

Pavia said Johnson's priority is winning the welterweight belt followed by the middleweight belt.

"[A middleweight fight] may expedite his return, as opposed to taking more time off to reach the ultimate goal," Pavia said. "I don't think he's convinced. He's considering it."
http://mmajunkie.com/news/19272/ufc...campaign=Feed:+mmajunkie+(MMAjunkie.com+Feed)

I think he will eventually move up to 185 permanently but I can see 'Rumble' staying at 170 for a while yet. He may take the fight at Middleweight to stay active.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This ****ing idiot shouldn't be making such a cut in the first place. No wonder his knee is messed up, his body probably isn't taking to losing obscene amounts of weight well. This guy is going to have a very short career. However, at least he looks decent at the weight, Thiago Alves is horribly immoble and lacks any type of dexterity at that weight. Wouldn't surprise me if his brain problem was caused or at least aided by the weight cut to be honest.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If he looks good at 185, I think he might decide to stay. I agree though, cutting 50 lbs is definitely linked to his and Thiago Alves' health problems.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Bout damn time.

He has missed weight a few times before, and he makes a huge cut from over 200 lbs. His body will be stronger and better suited for the MW division.

·
Registered
786 Posts
MMA is pretty weird, we have a fat pudgy guy like Fedor who walks around at 230 and has the frame of a 185lb fighter and tearing up everybody.

And we have Anthony Johnson, who is 220lbs of pure muscle and could fight at heavyweight, who tries to fight midgets and gets his ass handed to him.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bout damn time.

He has missed weight a few times before, and he makes a huge cut from over 200 lbs. His body will be stronger and better suited for the MW division.
I don't think anyone doubts this. The problem is he's not willing to jump up already.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
He would be smart to stay at MW or even LHW. Maybe he thinks he can't compete there because he lacks skill, but at WW he lacks health and still can't beat the top guys. MW is still a huge cut for him, but at least they won't have to drag him to the weigh-ins.

·
Registered
786 Posts
What the hell is Johnson thinking anyway. It's not like he's some elite wrestler whose plan is to score takedowns for 2 rounds then barely survive the 3rd while running on fumes.

If you are going to just box with people, you should cut only enough to make it to the nearest weight class. Being dead on your feet isn't going to help stuff takedowns or box against agile guys.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
MMA is pretty weird, we have a fat pudgy guy like Fedor who walks around at 230 and has the frame of a 185lb fighter and tearing up everybody.

And we have Anthony Johnson, who is 220lbs of pure muscle and could fight at heavyweight, who tries to fight midgets and gets his ass handed to him.
That's because Skill always beats size! :thumbsup: And that will never change!

It doesn't matter how big you are.. it matters how good of a Martial Artist are you!

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
A.J. is way too big for W.W. I don't know why he punishes his body like that....

Plus a move to MW would give him much more power without having to drain his muscles in that cut, plus he could even get another level of stregnth and conditioning going without having to worry about shaving most of his mass off on his next cut....

IMO MW is an excellent move for him...... A.J. vs Marquardt, Bisbing, Cote, Wanderlei, Belcher....... very interesting....

The MW division would make for much more compelling fights for Johnson...

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
if he can make 170 then nobody can say that he is stupid to fight at ww. im sure ben saunders(if he wasn't so paper thin), thiago alves could do the same as well. point is it will most likely be better for him to bulk up and fight at mw- he might even be more explosive and faster since its closer to his natural weight. i only heard of him missing weight twice and one was because of injury but i guess its easier to just call him dumb?:confused05:

mw needs some more contenders and if he moved up he could put on a bit more muscle. hes got solid kickboxing skills and a good chin, he already has a (limited) wrestling background so if he works on that aspect more he could really do well in the somewhat contender starved mw division.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've always believed fighters should fight at the lowest weight, but you have to be reasonable. It's a no brainer that AJ days at WW are numbered, and frankly should have been over sooner. He missed weight a couple times, and the cut visibly affects his performance, never mind what kind of long term effects cutting 40-50 pounds will have.

If he has any sense at all he will move to MW and stay there, he is 26, he is only going to get bigger, it will only get harder to cut. He will either miss weight more often and cost himself money, or severely injure himself. Just give it up already, you aren't a ww.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts
Just wanna mention here quick that Thiago Alves is not in the same boat as guys like Rumble. Alves has the frame of a natural WW or even LW. He's 5'9" with a ~69" reach and not the widest shoulders in the world. I'm sure some 145lbers are the same height/reach.

Alves just has packed insane muscle onto his frame and that's why he cuts from such a high weight, not because of a naturally large frame like Rumble.

I think Rumble, Swick, and Fitch honestly should all move to MW. At MW Fitch could put huge muscle onto his 6' frame and his wrestling would be even more effective. Swick could finally have power back and his weight cut makes him slow anyway. Not to mention that division is relatively boring right now with maybe a half-dozen relevant names.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Just wanna mention here quick that Thiago Alves is not in the same boat as guys like Rumble. Alves has the frame of a natural WW or even LW. He's 5'9" with a ~69" reach and not the widest shoulders in the world. I'm sure some 145lbers are the same height/reach.

Alves just has packed insane muscle onto his frame and that's why he cuts from such a high weight, not because of a naturally large frame like Rumble.

I think Rumble, Swick, and Fitch honestly should all move to MW. At MW Fitch could put huge muscle onto his 6' frame and his wrestling would be even more effective. Swick could finally have power back and his weight cut makes him slow anyway. Not to mention that division is relatively boring right now with maybe a half-dozen relevant names.
I agree swick and anthony are being hurt more than they are being helped by the cut to WW and would be welcomed depth at MW.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I would LOVE to see him vs Bisping :)
Amen :thumb02:

Exactly. Alves has t-rex arms, I'm 5'9" and I have a 74inch reach. If he were to go up to 185 he'd be giving up almost a foot of reach against a bunch of guys. And just to be honest how much bigger could he even get? The bastard's frame is the same size or smaller than mine and I'm constantly around 165lbs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts