Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are alot of fighters in the ufc who have all the skills and potential to be one of the best fighters in the world, but for whatever reason can't put it together.

one fighter that comes to mind is Gabriel Gonzaga. up until the cro cop KO he was relatively unknown, but after that fight pretty much everyone took notice. since then though he's lost to couture, werdum, dos santos and carwin. now sure those opponents are no joke, but gonzaga on paper has the skill set to beat all of these men.

he's a big strong heavyweight with a great ground game and has lethal power in his strikes. he has the skills to have been a champion or at least a consistent top 10 fighter. unfortanetly he's never been able to improve his cardio, and also lacks the heart to take punishment and still fight on. gonzaga right now has become a heavyweight gatekeeper, when he could be so much more.

Brandon Vera is another fighter with all the tools. he has great muay thai and a solid ground game. in his early days he looked like a beast at HW, and after dropping to LHW everyone had high hopes of him. his 2 lackluster performances against couture and jardine showed us he is a mere shell of his former self.

the couture fight was exceptionally disappointing, in the third round it would have taken a couple of body kicks to finish the fight, but he did nothing.

i'm sure there's plenty more fighters out there, but i'll let you guys bring them up.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Vera is above #1 on my list.

His standup is so sick. His ground game, is SO under rated.

BUT, HE DOESN'T PULL THE TRIGGER.

You had Couture finished. (not like Barry had CC finished, but actually finished.) Couture was crippled over, and if you just reigned down, the fight was over, and you would have a win over Randy right now. Vera even got a good takedown against Randy at the end of the fight.

Why were you letting CBJ aim that big elbow for so long? bjj 101 said armbar, he knew it, but he just doesn't pull the trigger. So, he got smashed.

The Couture fight was annoying but after the Jon Jones fight, I don't like Vera very much any more. :(

·
Registered
937 Posts
How about Dennis Kang? Only 3 fights in the UFC, and only 1 win, but it both the Bisping and Belcher fights he was smacking the hell out of them early on, only to crash later, and he did the same thing against Mousasi!

This guy has so much talent, he just can't ever seem to close the deal when the pressure is on.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Karo P used to be at the top of this list. Dude had so much talent but could just never put it all together. But right now, I'd have to agree it's Brandon Vera. Dude has sick striking, really good wrestling and a good ground game. He should be a dominant fighter at LHW.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
How about Dennis Kang? Only 3 fights in the UFC, and only 1 win, but it both the Bisping and Belcher fights he was smacking the hell out of them early on, only to crash later, and he did the same thing against Mousasi!

This guy has so much talent, he just can't ever seem to close the deal when the pressure is on.

Agree if Kang had heart he was top 5 mw imo .

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Wilson Goveia

·
Banned
820 Posts
Kendall Grove sure he has strung together some wins, but I always thought he could do much better.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Jorge Gurgel is easily number 1. It's extremely disappointing to see such a dynamic ground game go to waste because he wants to be exciting with his improving, although weak, stand up.

Karo Parisyan is another one that comes to mind. Before Jon Jones, he had the sickest clinch game in the business. I can't really blame him for him kind of falling off the map. Not his fault he has anxiety disorder and what not. Disorder not withstanding, Parisyan is an underachiever as of right now.

I couldn't bring myself to say Brandon Vera because, despite the common opinion on him, he was extremely overrated as a heavyweight. He's an underachiever, but not because of his lack of talent, but because everybody seemed to think he was somekind of monster. Not really his fault that he can't live up to everybody else's insane expectations.

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Jorge Gurgel is easily number 1. It's extremely disappointing to see such a dynamic ground game go to waste because he wants to be exciting with his improving, although weak, stand up.

Karo Parisyan is another one that comes to mind. Before Jon Jones, he had the sickest clinch game in the business. I can't really blame him for him kind of falling off the map. Not his fault he has anxiety disorder and what not. Disorder not withstanding, Parisyan is an underachiever as of right now.

I couldn't bring myself to say Brandon Vera because, despite the common opinion on him, he was extremely overrated as a heavyweight. He's an underachiever, but not because of his lack of talent, but because everybody seemed to think he was somekind of monster. Not really his fault that he can't live up to everybody else's insane expectations.
Karo doesn't have an "anxiety disorder", he's got an addiction to prescription medicine. Or at least he did last time I knew, who knows if he's got back on the right track yet.

·
Banned
525 Posts
Karo doesn't have an "anxiety disorder", he's got an addiction to prescription medicine. Or at least he did last time I knew, who knows if he's got back on the right track yet.
Yeah, I heard about the addiction thing. But I also read that he was addicted to the anti-psychotics prescribed to him because of his disorder. That was from clear back in like '06. Plus I heard someone on TV talking about Karo having anxiety issues which cause him to lose motivation for training.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Andy Wang. What a shame to see such a talented warrior under-achieve. If only he would of listened to BJ and his coaches....Poor wang.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.