Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m looking for some information about the evoultion of the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts? :)

I'm watching some old UFC from 2001 and I`m suprised about some of the punches to the back of the head. Also, when did the 12-6 elbow become illegal?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i cant speak much as to the unified rules of mma, but as far as i know, the 12 to 6 elbow has been illegal for years. I dont know if this is true or not, but i have heard it referenced that the reason this type of elbow is illegal is b/c when the powers that be (the athletic commision types who set the rules for sanctioned mma bouts) were setting the rules, they were shown video footage of martial artists breaking ice, bricks, boards, etc. with the 12 to 6 elbow, therefore, this type of strike was deemed too dangerous to allow. stupid rule imo, considering you can throw the same elbow, with much the same results from 10 to 4. Remember A. Silva v. Lutter. Course, me being the pride championer that i am, i long for the days of soccer kicks, knees to the head when down, head stomps, and of course the yellow card. Oh yea, and Bas Rutten. I like Rogan just fine, but nobody can call a fight like Bas. "Jesus Christ!".....can you imagine Golberg yelling that after a nasty flying knee. me either.

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
The Unified Rules of MMA really begins with "Big" John McCarthy's implementation of rules as a referee. While each ref does interpret the rules in his or her own way, there is a general guideline when it comes to illegal strikes.

McCarthy has always called attacks illegal when the fist his the head anywhere behind the ear. Herb Dead explained it that if a fighter cannot touch the ear with any part of their fist then the blow is illegal (barring punches to the face.) A general rule of the old UFC's and current day is no fish hooking or gouging. This basically means putting your fingers into an opponent's mouth, nose, eye, hooking the collarbone with your fingers or jamming your fingers into bad places below the belt.

Another rule that has always been in place has been no small joint manipulation. This means breaking or bending of the fingers and toes. It's too easy and it's pretty unskillful and cheap to break fingers to win. Hair pulling was also made illegal in the early UFC's, but even it was an official rule fighters Guy Mezger and Jason Fairn made a "gentleman's agreement" not to pull hair before their fight.

All-in-all John McCarthy is the man who really established the first true rule set in MMA and he runs the only ABC (Associations of Boxing Commission, the main sanctioning body for Boxing and MMA) acknowledged MMA referee certification and training program.

Even though this isn't a very respectable source, here's the Wikipedia page for MMA rules http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts came into being in the year 2000. Nick Lembo of the NJSAC along with John McCarthy and commissioners from other leading states like Nevada and California met in New Jersey to adopt the UR. Nick Lembo wrote them and they codified most of the rules that Big John and the UFC had adapted over time. One of the rules that was put in place was the 12 to 6 strikes. One of the politicians in attendance at the meeting saw a MA demonstration where guys were breaking blocks of ice with a point of elbow strike and said that they had to be banned or he wouldn't approve them. His concern is that someone would get hit with one of these when they shoot in, despite the fact that these are banned under the strikes to the spine rule. It's one of the dumbest rules on the books IMO.

The back of the head rule has changed slightly over time and was recently clarified by the ABC. It used to be that guys got fairly big latitude with punches to the back of the head. The rule was that there was a 2 inch mohawk that you couldn't strike. Then some of the commissions tried to instill boxing rules using the "headphone rule" - imagine someone has headphones on, anything behind the headphones would be illegal. Most recently the ABC said you have to avoid the mohawk as well as the nape of the neck. Again a good rule of thumb is the strike has to touch the ear.

Woods you are right about John's COMMAND class it is recognized by most as the best in the world. www.mmareferee.com

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
I like how Herb Dean called Kongo's knee to a downed Buentello legal and said it was "playing the game" ...Now is that like turning your head when you see a punch comming so it lands on the back of your head or is that just his view on the rule??? Either way I like it

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I like how Herb Dean called Kongo's knee to a downed Buentello legal and said it was "playing the game" ...Now is that like turning your head when you see a punch comming so it lands on the back of your head or is that just his view on the rule??? Either way I like it
it is exactly like that.

as for the rule it's his call; he gave him the time to recover from the knee to the head but did not take another point away from Kongo.

as for the rules, take a read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules

·
Registered
146 Posts
it is exactly like that.

as for the rule it's his call; he gave him the time to recover from the knee to the head but did not take another point away from Kongo.

as for the rules, take a read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules
The interesting thing about that is the ABC has clarified the rule and the only injury which the referee may allow a 5 minute recouperative period is a groin strike. However NJ has never modified their rules to reflect this change so he was perfectly justified in doing so. Several states' rules specifically state that the referee may not offer a recouperative rest for concussive strikes to the head.

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
The interesting thing about that is the ABC has clarified the rule and the only injury which the referee may allow a 5 minute recouperative period is a groin strike. However NJ has never modified their rules to reflect this change so he was perfectly justified in doing so. Several states' rules specifically state that the referee may not offer a recouperative rest for concussive strikes to the head.
Including illegal shots to the head? As in Kongo kneeing Buentello.

What do the rules state? take a point then let them get back at it if the fighter on the receiving end of the blow is still willing to fight?

Oh and what about eye pokes? I've seen folk get 5 for them for sure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Including illegal shots to the head? As in Kongo kneeing Buentello.

What do the rules state? take a point then let them get back at it if the fighter on the receiving end of the blow is still willing to fight?

Oh and what about eye pokes? I've seen folk get 5 for them for sure.
Ok, so here's the deal if a person receives an illegal blow to the head, if they need any time to recover the fight should be over. They have likely received a concussion and allowing them to continue would endanger their safety. That's the theory anyway. The reality is, like with the finger poke to the eye, there is a way around it. The referee can call the doctor in an the doctor can assess the fighter's condition for up to 5 minutes. So this is essentially a 5 minute break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.