·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
That looks worse with every picture that is posted, next week the muscle will fall off or something.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Maybe check one or two next time Urijah?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
:eek03:

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Yeah he's really gotta check those kicks, I was really confused as to why he didn't start checking when Aldo was really starting to do damage. Faber, like Brown, didn't have the usual energy to him, he seemed to nervous, and it was telling.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Yeah he's really gotta check those kicks, I was really confused as to why he didn't start checking when Aldo was really starting to do damage. Faber, like Brown, didn't have the usual energy to him, he seemed to nervous, and it was telling.
It's Anderson Silva syndrome, people are scared of his hands and his KO power, so they are beat before the cage door ever closes.

·
ROCKET FISTS
5,743 Posts

Alright guys between this thread and the Toney thread, "checking a leg kick" isn't a SIMPLE thing or something everyone can do.

You don't just put your shin up and block the other guy's shin. If Faber did that against Aldo, he'd probably would have broken his leg rd1/2.

To check a kick you need to see it coming, set up the check before the kick reaches the pinnacle point and stuff it. If you just lift your leg and let them kick it full force it's going to suck hard. You gotta move in a little and catch it before they've unloaded ie "stuffing" it.

To do that you have to be faster than the opponent - which against Aldo is probably impossible.

The best way to check a kick vs a guy like Aldo is to gtfo of the way! I remember Faber checking them with the thigh method, I dunno the actual name of it but you just turn your leg out so you get hit in the thigh instead of the sciatic nerve. With Jose's angles that kind of checking probably won't ever be effective either.

It's Anderson Silva syndrome, people are scared of his hands and his KO power, so they are beat before the cage door ever closes.
I dunno about that, Faber was the more established legend and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to get intimidated.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Jeesh thats ugly. I would never wish that on anyone.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
That looks excessively painful. This brought something to mind, how do the dudes in K1 manage to fight more then once in one night after taking kicks like that? After seeing this picture of Urijahs leg, it makes me wonder how the hell anyone could walk after fighting someone like Remy Bonjasky or Buakaw, let alone go on to fight again the very same night. I know that your shins can be conditioned to deal with that kind of punishment, but I cant imagine there is that much you can do to teach your thighs to get used to that kind of beating.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
That looks excessively painful. This brought something to mind, how do the dudes in K1 manage to fight more then once in one night after taking kicks like that? After seeing this picture of Urijahs leg, it makes me wonder how the hell anyone could walk after fighting someone like Remy Bonjasky or Buakaw, let alone go on to fight again the very same night. I know that your shins can be conditioned to deal with that kind of punishment, but I cant imagine there is that much you can do to teach your thighs to get used to that kind of beating.
K-1 goes only 3 Rounds a 3 minutes with exeptions of course. So thats only 9 full minutes of fighting. That wouldn't even fill 2 MMA Rounds. Guess that's one of the reasons. But a kick from a guy like Bonjasky is probably a little bit more powerful then from a 145 pounder^^

·
Registered
25 Posts

I'm guessing another difference would be in K-1 and Muay Thai you don't have to worry about takedowns. Different stance and weight distribution, also more time in training in K-1 and Muay Thai can be dedicated to offensive and defensive leg kicks.

But thats just my take on it! :thumb02:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.