Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Urijah Faber, toughest fighter in MMA
Published on 4/26/2010, 11:37 AM Last Update: 4 minute(s) ago by Nicholas Mirabella
Category: All Articles » Mixed Martial Arts » Editorials
Urijah Faber is one of the toughest fighters in the history of MMA. Faber held the Featherweight Belt for almost three years and dominated in the WEC, untill he ran in to MIke Brown. Many called it a lucky win for Brown, thinking there was no way he could beat this unbeatable fighter, it had to be luck.

Faber got his chance at redemption and in the first round of their rematch he broke his hand and continued to fight 4 more rounds. Faber actually damaged both hands in that fight, but he kept moving forward and pushing the pace. Even in defeat Faber gained the respect of his fans from his show of heart and warrior attitude.

On Saturday April 24th 2010 Urijah Faber faced Jose Aldo. A younger, faster, and some say more technical fighter. Aldo punished Faber with Thai kicks for all 5 rounds that would make the average MMA fighter curl up and take a TKO loss, but not Faber. He tried to gain control on the ground when he was kicked off his feet, he still attempted to take Aldo down even when his leg was battered the muscle was mush.

In the fourth round Faber was put in a crucifix, again he didn't quit. He pushed, twisted bucked and tried to get his arm free from Aldo's hold. This is a position where any other fighter lays and takes the TKO loss, but his warrior spirit kept him in the fight.

Below is the picture of Faber's leg. Looking at this picture and knowing how punishing Thai kicks, are made me compelled to write this article. I've been a fan of Faber's for quite some time now, but seeing the size of his heart as he fought through the pain of injury put's him in my top 5 favorite fighters of all time.

This article is not to take anything away from Jose Aldo, he won the fight and I feel he's one of the P4P best fighters in the sport today, but they don't get much tougher then Urijah Faber.

All fighters have a have a cold streak in there career, this is the toughest sport to stay on top forever. There have been talks of him needing to retire after this fight( LINK), that's just nonsense. Faber is still in his prime and will be back, that's a guarantee. You might be able to take a win from Urijah, but you'll never take his heart!!!
http://buddhasport.com/community/article/109/urijah-faber-toughest-fighter-in-mma

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The tuffness of Urijah is almost unrivaled. It really makes me like him more as a fighter. A true champion he never gives up and quits. Like Bowles quit, what a *****! He really never deserved to have that belt.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I don't believe I've ever seen somone in as much pain and yet continue. He has my 100% respect. I think that he is going to have to come up with something completely different in order to have a chance against Aldo, if a chance even exists. Faber always brings it, and I can't wait to see his next fight.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
tough guy for sure.

is he jewish?? my friend keeps telling me that.

im with what Wookie said. A TRUE Champion doesnt quit for find excuses. Faber is the man. Aldo is just too good.

Brown and Bowles have both showed me a bit of mental weakness IMO

·
Banned
0 Posts
tough guy for sure.

is he jewish?? my friend keeps telling me that.

im with what Wookie said. A TRUE Champion doesnt quit for find excuses. Faber is the man. Aldo is just too good.

Brown and Bowles have both showed me a bit of mental weakness IMO

Lulz....he is tough as nails, look at the size of his knee cap....damn....

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
He's gonna be feelin' that for at least a whole week maybe longer. It's the worst feeling in the world it's like a huge Charlie Horse/muscle knot that doesn't go away even if it's iced or massaged.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I didnt like him much either ---UNTIL--- after the Brown fight ---after that fighet I became a fan--- he is up there ---FOR ME AT LEAST (in my book)--- with Jens Pulver, Wandy, Big Nog and a few others.

Boy has a ton of heart.

S

·
Banned
820 Posts
It takes alot to keep trucking like that so i am deffinatly in favor of him.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I wasn't a fan of Faber for a while, 'the California Kid', the bigass smile, the long hair, and cleft chin. I was estatic when MTB beat his ass, but in their second fight when Urijah had broken his hand, and was still throwing punches with it... that's a tough dude. I looked back at all of his success and realized that it was just superficial reasons for not being a fan. He was a dominate champion for years, I appreciated his skills, and he has the heart of a warrior.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts