Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ustream Hands Over Users’ IP Addresses to UFC

Ustream has given the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) the IP addresses of users broadcasting the mixed martial arts league’s pay-per-view events through the live streaming site, it confirmed in an email. The news comes a week after UFC parent company Zuffa LLC subpoenaed both Ustream and Justin.tv to reveal the identities of users infringing on its rights through unauthorized live streams.

Ustream told us today that it responded to these demands as soon as it was contacted by Zuffa. Ustream’s statement reads, in part:

“Ustream was subpoenaed by UFC via Zuffa earlier this year to provide identifiable information on certain broadcasters, which Ustream fully complied with in a timely manner. Ustream continues to work cohesively with our premium content partners to prevent piracy, including UFC to legally stream officially-sanctioned UFC events.”
Ustream also said that it recently updated its copyright protection tools to expedite takedowns.

Zuffa had previously said that a pay-per-view event in February was viewed by more than 78,000 non-paying users on a live streaming site. That particular event was broadcast by the same user who had streamed a match to more than 36,000 people a few months earlier. Zuffa has said that it intends to go after these users with individual lawsuits.

Live streaming piracy has been a point of contention between sports leagues and live streaming operators, and the House Judiciary Committee even held a hearing on the matter late last year. Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta testified back then that his company was “potentially losing tens of millions of dollars” due to live streaming piracy.

Justin.tv didn’t reply in time for comment on this story or its handling of the UFC subpoena. We’ll update as soon as we hear back from them.

http://newteevee.com/2010/08/02/ustream-hands-over-users-ip-addresses-to-ufc/

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Is that actually legal? I know they'll probably have something in their terms and conditions about it, but that doesn't mean giving someone's IP to someone else is legal.
Pretty sure after Zuffa gets the IPs they have to go through the ISPs to find out who the people are anyway.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Of course they would comply and give out their IP's...doesn't matter though because anyone broadcasting that is likely on a proxy IP. Good luck Zuffa, you can't beat the internet, sorry guys.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
That's like giving away your home address and identity. That should be confidential information. I wonder if this will have adverse effect on PPVs...cuz it might just deter people from watching it at all. Not everyone can afford PPVS every time although I'm usually at the bar shelling out the same amount on food and drinks + friendly wagers...lolz! But for the rest of the masses I think there should be some streams out there. It's beginning to feel like the "EMPIRE."

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they will get some, but also what if the other ppl are from other countrys? can they still get to them? i would imagine it wouldnt be easy

oh well, im glad i dont stream, but i know some friends of mine who use Ustream but most of them us fake IPs and stuff...but some dont, wonder if they got an email:confused02:

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
I feel that i should tell that there are some streaming software that also uses your bandwidth to upload, like in p2p. Veetle, vimio and tvuplayer just to name a few.

So, be sure you know what you´re doing. Many times you´re also broadcasting without knowing.

I don´t really care, i´ll continue using Veetle, this is the better quality around. i don´t really see UFC caring about me, but you guys in the U.S. should know what you´re doing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's like giving away your home address and identity. That should be confidential information. I wonder if this will have adverse effect on PPVs...cuz it might just deter people from watching it at all. Not everyone can afford PPVS every time although I'm usually at the bar shelling out the same amount on food and drinks + friendly wagers...lolz! But for the rest of the masses I think there should be some streams out there. It's beginning to feel like the "EMPIRE."
Most things you THINK should be considered confidential are usually not under most companies.

Most banks once you open an account in the US send your information to OTHER "Affiliates," And "partners." They say that it is to help you int he future to get other things you might like on your next transaction. These certain things that they "Share," Would be your SS,date of birth,transaction history, gender...blah blah blah...you also CANT tell the bank to not share everything they do since it's REQUIRED.

If your scared to stream which I hope you guys do since it helps everyone you can always make a proxy website and link your streams from justin.tv/ustream/vippass/ect to the proxy website and should be safe.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Lol, wow, they have IP addresses. What are they gonna do with those? If people were broadcasting streams they've likely changed them by now. Especially with all this news of the UFC going after streamers.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
Of course they would comply and give out their IP's...doesn't matter though because anyone broadcasting that is likely on a proxy IP. Good luck Zuffa, you can't beat the internet, sorry guys.
This ... if you have the knowledge to set up an entire live feed, I'm sure you have the knowledge to set up a proxy in the 5 minutes it takes for that kinda thing. It'll be nice seeing Dana try to go on a wild goose chase busting some proxy in China :).

I think the UFC is well aware that they can't really catch too many people this way... it's more just to create publicity and scare the people with less knowledge about such things to keep from streaming in the future.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
This ... if you have the knowledge to set up an entire live feed, I'm sure you have the knowledge to set up a proxy in the 5 minutes it takes for that kinda thing. It'll be nice seeing Dana try to go on a wild goose chase busting some proxy in China :).

I think the UFC is well aware that they can't really catch too many people this way... it's more just to create publicity and scare the people with less knowledge about such things to keep from streaming in the future.
Perfect post. Sums up my views.

Its about fear. For example, I got told off for torrenting a UFC event a few months back. Got a scary email. Can/will they do anything to me? Unlikely. Did it scare me a bit? Yes. Have I downloaded any torrents since? No.

Fear is an awesome weapon... even if it isn't accompanied by action.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.