Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to emphasise that i am a big cain velasquez fan but im not so sure how he will do against Brock.

Brock gained alot of respect from me today with his heart and composure.

I think Dos Santos would be a better chance vs Brock as Cain is simply to small and he came in at 243 in his last fight vs big nog.

How do others think cain will fair against the champ?

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Not well imo. The size thing is something that is overemphasised, Fedor has made a career out of beating people much bigger than him, but when Brock has a 30lbs weight advantage PLUS is as quick and agile as the smaller guy then it makes it very hard.
Tonight Brock proved he has a solid chin too, so the only HW i see beating him is a shit hot BJJ black belt, like big Nog... But i'd still give big Nog about a 20% chance if they had a fight!

·
Registered
816 Posts
very well indeed brock showed he cant take a punch tonight and velasq has looked v good on his feet aswell as a great gas tank the major question is can brock hold him down? i dont think he can hold him down as cain will get up im rooting for anyone vs brock! :)

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Not well imo. The size thing is something that is overemphasised, Fedor has made a career out of beating people much bigger than him, but when Brock has a 30lbs weight advantage PLUS is as quick and agile as the smaller guy then it makes it very hard.
Tonight Brock proved he has a solid chin too, so the only HW i see beating him is a shit hot BJJ black belt, like big Nog... But i'd still give big Nog about a 20% chance if they had a fight!
The shot that put him down wasn't even clean.

I think Velasquez wins this easy if he comes in with the right game plan and is well conditioned.

Everyone talked about how superior Brock's wrestling was going to be against Carwin. We found out that Carwin was able to stop every td attempt until he gassed.

Velasquez should easily be able to stop Brock's TD, and he should have cardio to get past the second round. I think Brock is the UD in this one.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Brock just took one of the hardest punchers in the UFC on, took heavy shots, and still won. I think Cain could be in trouble, I like him a lot, but he'll need a solid strategy going into it. Anyone got a size comparison pic?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just want to emphasise that i am a big cain velasquez fan but im not so sure how he will do against Brock.

Brock gained alot of respect from me today with his heart and composure.

I think Dos Santos would be a better chance vs Brock as Cain is simply to small and he came in at 243 in his last fight vs big nog.

How do others think cain will fair against the champ?
How do people see Brock winning this ? Taking Cain down then pounding him out like Mir ? Well placed punch like Randy ? I give Cain a good chance here, hopefully train his defensive wrestling enough to keep it standing like Randy and Carwin, then outpoint him on the feet for 5 rounds. And if Cain manages to drop Brock, he probably won't gas trying to finish him, but go back to his bread and butter, top control.

Is JDS that much bigger than Cain ? I wouldn't favor JDS vs Brock because his wrestling is untested, and probably not high level yet. I'd say 2.7 are decent odds on Cain, and 3 are great.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Cain is gonna be going none stop for 5 rounds....Not only does he have stamina he has more agility, speed and skill than Brock. All the size crap annoys me....the more skilled man will win.

I can see Brock taking the 1st round with the 2nd being close But Cain taking over in the last 3....maybe even stops brock...he has it in him regardless of the Kongo fight.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Cain has great wrestling and great cardio to boot. I wasn't impressed with Brock's performance tonight(GSP accent), he was dominated badly that first round and had Carwin not gassed he would have finished it. Cain has the talent to beat brock on the feet and should be able to sprawl the early takedown attempts.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am pretty sure that Brock would win this fight (moreso than i was against Shane). With Carwin, there was always that strong possibility that he could land one of those huge bombs and knock Brock clean out.

That is not so much of a threat with Cain. Whilst a far superior technical boxer, and kickboxer, i have a hard time seeing him KO Brock. If Lesnar can recover from a Carwin onslaught, i dont see how Cain would fare any better.

Cain is a tremendous wrestler, and as we saw with the Couture fight size does not always matter in wrestling. Cain may well be able to stuff a couple of Brocks TDs, but i am convinced he would get him down eventually. Once on the ground, size DOES matter, and the gulf in this match would be vast.

We know Brock has good cardio, we know Cain has great cardio as well. This probably wouldnt become an issue unless we got past the 3rd round, which i doubt would happen.

I give Cain a chance, albeit a slim one, of taking a decision if Brock where unable to get him down through the fight. I give Brock the far superior odds of securing a takedown at some point, and finishing Cain there. Probably 2nd round.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If Cain is to win that fight he'll need to do it the way Edgar beat Penn: outboxing him and staying away from him. If Lesnar gets the takedown, it's over.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
It could very well be a UD for Brock with Velasquez being smothered on the ground, but fighting tenaciously and not giving up. Velasquez may not be able to land too many shots before Brock shoots in on him. I don't know if anybody realizes this, but not only is his shot quick, but it's extremely powerful simply with the momentum and weight. You can't stop it forever. I'd say Overeem would have a better chance or JDS.

Still calling for a rematch with Carwin in one to two years.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If Cain is to win that fight he'll need to do it the way Edgar beat Penn: outboxing him and staying away from him. If Lesnar gets the takedown, it's over.
I don't think it's that easy to hold a great wrestler down and GNP him out at the same time. Look at how Brock sprung up from under Carwin. Quick, agile wrestlers are hard to hold down, especially if they have the stamina to spring up when needed. Cain won't "relax" like Mir in the confort of an omgawesome bjj ability that never comes.

In no way do I see Cain the favorite, but I don't think it's that over after the takedown.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Listen people. The ONLY reason Brock could take Carwin down in the second was because he was gassed. The winning factor in that fight was conditioning. In the first round Carwin easily stuffed Brocks td's. Come round 2, it looked like shane was on the verge of passing out, clay guida could of taken him down in that state.

Cain and brock imo have possibly the best cardio in the division. Cain is a machine, he just keeps working and keeps pushing the pace. He isnt going to gas like Carwin. Add on top of this that cain is a better wrestler than Carwin, has more diverse kick boxing, is faster, more agile and has legit power, i honestly think Cain takes this fight comfortably.

Overall i was not at all impressed with Brocks performance. like i said, the winning factor here was conditioning. Had Carwin have not gassed and been fresh in round 2, he would of demolished Brock. Brock lost a 10-8 round in the 1st and then came back to beat carwin in the second because he was BADLY gassed. Cain is not going to have the same problems.

Skill overcomes size and strength.

Reactions: oordeel

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
my moneys will be on cain, he has out-wrestled guys just as big as brock who are better wrestlers than brock. he has great leg kicks that will frustrate brock and just better striking altogether. cain by UD

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
I also think that cain is going to TKO Brock. People seem to think that carwin is the only man capable of finishing brock because he has ko'd mir and gonzaga. Cain has legit power, he proved it in the Nog fight. He has the cardio and speed to finish brock off when he rocks him.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Listen people. The ONLY reason Brock could take Carwin down in the second was because he was gassed. The winning factor in that fight was conditioning. In the first round Carwin easily stuffed Brocks td's. Come round 2, it looked like shane was on the verge of passing out, clay guida could of taken him down in that state.
Absolutely, Brock took him down only after he gassed. He even faked the takedown 2 times and saw NO reaction from Shane. Then faked the punch and took him down easlily.

But let's not forget Carwin is in the same size class as Brock, while Cain and Randy aren't. What makes Brock a threat to taking down Cain isn't just his technique, it's mostly his size. Randy proved Brock's wrestling can be neutralised even with a weight disadvantage.

Overall i was not at all impressed with Brocks performance. like i said, the winning factor here was conditioning. Had Carwin have not gassed and been fresh in round 2, he would of demolished Brock. Brock lost a 10-8 round in the 1st and then came back to beat carwin in the second because he was BADLY gassed. Cain is not going to have the same problems.
If Carwin paced himself to last 5 rounds, he would have expended a lot less energy. He may have had to throw 1/5th the punches he did. You are comparing Brock to a Carwin that goes on like he did the 1st round for 2-5 rounds, and that's a beast that doesn't exist yet.

Skill overcomes size and strength.
Depends on the difference in skill and the difference in size. We'll see if Cain is that much more skilled than Brock, because the size difference is there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
both of these guys are still improving their game with each fight, combined they have a total of 14 fights, makes you wonder what new techniques the will bring into the cage come fight time

1 - 20 of 193 Posts