Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Vera Has Surgery Thursday Out 4-6 Months

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Hiro 
#1 ·
It's from Sherdog, so sorry for that, but didn't see a decent article anywhere else.

Brandon Vera will undergo facial surgery on Thursday evening to correct a dislocated cheekbone incurred in his first-round defeat to Jon Jones at UFC on Versus 1 last Sunday, said his manager Matt Stansell.

In the light heavyweight bout, Jones took Vera down two times, then landed a left elbow directly to Vera’s face. The 32-year-old fighter spun to his knees for cover, as referee Herb Dean stepped in to halt the bout.

“It broke his cheekbone in three places and it’s sort of floating right now,” said Stansell on Thursday. “(The bone) is kind of laying on the muscle of the right eye, which is preventing Brandon from looking to his right, and it’s pushing his eyeball forward.”

Stansell said two plates will be inserted during the surgery to secure the bone back in place. Vera, who hails from his own Alliance Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif., hopes to return to grappling training in six to eight weeks. Stansell estimated it could take anywhere between four to six months before Vera will be medically cleared to spar again, though that timetable is determinant on the fighter’s recovery.

Stansell said Vera, a noted muay Thai stylist in the 205-pound ranks, is in positive spirits and anxious to return to competition as soon as he is cleared to.

“Brandon told the doctor to do whatever he needed to get him back in the cage as fast as he could,” said Stansell. “I’ve never seen him so motivated to get back to training and fighting before.”

Vera, who’s fought for the promotion since 2005, has been defeated in his last two Octagon appearances. After a strong four-fight start, he is now 7-5 for the promotion. Vera has at least three fights remaining on his current UFC contract, said a source.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Vera-Undergoes-Surgery-Thursday-No-Sparring-for-4-6-Months-23455

#6 ·
Yeah that disappointed the hell out of me. I was rooting for Vera to make matters worse. Had the cheek-shattering elbow not occurred I think the fight could have been far more competitive and entertaining. But of course it may have just been a matter of time before those freakish elbows connected.

#9 ·
See, this is what Jon Jones does. He doesn't just beat people, his opponents have to take months off after the fight to recuperate.

Hamill got a dislocated shoulder, Vera with a fractured cheekbone...

Who is the next victim?

#10 ·
This fight could have been a great battle for 3 rounds without these stupid elbows. So I am all on the Japanese side here! Most of the time it just ruins the fight. Allow those kind of upkicks like the one Vera did to Jones twice. BJJ guys need another tool to get out of the guard and I think thats a good one.

#11 ·
That was actually a very good elbow thrown by Jones.

The elbows that should be make illegal are fighters hitting with just the point of the elbow with the intent to cut the other fighter; Florian comes to mind.

Hope this time off gives Vera some serious time to reflect. He needs to get that killer instinct back and not fight to not lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.