Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
He must mean before the fight, when he sets UFC Undisputed on easy in his hotel room. He's going down.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Shane is too slow for Lesnar and Lesnar actually has the strength to avoid being held on the ring like a child(mur). Lesnar will take him down and give him a taste of his own blood.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Shane Carwin is effective when fights decide to stand and trade with him, let him pin them against the cage, exchange in the pocket etc.

Lesnar is not that guy. Lesnar will dump him on the mat and pound his face for 25 minutes if necessary.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Shane knows what to expect from a powerful wrestler, he'll do whats necessary to stay alive until he can touch Lesnar's chin. Once that happens, we have a new champ

·
It's a league game, Smokey
8,258 Posts
Shane Carwin is effective when fights decide to stand and trade with him, let him pin them against the cage, exchange in the pocket etc.

Lesnar is not that guy. Lesnar will dump him on the mat and pound his face for 25 minutes if necessary.
^^ this.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Shane knows what to expect from a powerful wrestler, he'll do whats necessary to stay alive until he can touch Lesnar's chin. Once that happens, we have a new champ
My bet is on this.
All he needs is one punch and Lesnar doesn´t have the standup ability to avoid it.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
guys have actually survived a shane carwin punch before.

its not like he KOs guys with the 1st punch everytime.

infact, the only decent calibre guys he fought, he got rocked by one of them and then taken down.

with Frank they exchanged for a few min before shane got him against the cage.

he also failed on two TDs... i dont know why he says he didnt go for them, it sure looked like he did, Frank said he felt him trying to take him down.

Plan B was better anyways. but he wont be able to bully Lesnar to the cage like that and Lesnar wont exchange for 4min either.

talk is becoming mythical and stupid invovling carwin. he has tremendous power for sure. but its not like one punch will KO u every time.

stop living in a dream world.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
People talk like it's simple to stuff a Brock Lesnar double. Carwin is not defending all of Brock's TD attempts. In the first round and before any significant punches are landed, Carwin is going to be on his back with the biggest and best heavyweight wrestler in the UFC on top of him.

Let's not pretend this is an easy night for Carwin, it's quite the opposite.

·
Banned
820 Posts

Brock should be able to handle Carwin, just hope the ring rust is not to bad.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
People talk like it's simple to stuff a Brock Lesnar double. Carwin is not defending all of Brock's TD attempts. In the first round and before any significant punches are landed, Carwin is going to be on his back with the biggest and best heavyweight wrestler in the UFC on top of him.

Let's not pretend this is an easy night for Carwin, it's quite the opposite.
i asked the question in another thread. ill ask it again.

When is the last time you have seen a high calibre wrestler get KO'd shooting in for a takedown??

its so rare i cant really remember the last time it happened.

with the speed discrepency i would say carwins chances of catching Brock with some mythical uppercut or knee are very slim

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I really dont see this fight being all that different from Lesnar/Mir. Sure Carwin has KO power but he is slow and is probably horrible off his back, Carwin has to win it in the first 40 seconds if he has a chance, just go out in a frenzy and let your arms go.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts

Then why did Lesnar let Randy pin him up against the cage even as early as 20 seconds in the fight?

I just rewatched the fight and I have to laugh at people calling Carwin slow. Carwin's standup is WAY faster than Lesnar's, rewatch the fights and tell me his standup looks at explosive or quick as Carwin's...not even close.

I really dont see this fight being all that different from Lesnar/Mir. Sure Carwin has KO power but he is slow and is probably horrible off his back, Carwin has to win it in the first 40 seconds if he has a chance, just go out in a frenzy and let your arms go.
Carwin is actually a purple belt in BJJ, and to his credit the only time you saw him on his back after having his nose crushed he got out quickly from underneath a world champion BJJ blackbelt.

Only advantage I give Lesnar in this fight is his wrestling, and I don't think it's enough of an advantage to win him the fight. Randy got up several times after getting taken down and being underneath Lesnar, I don't think Carwin will have a problem either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then why did Lesnar let Randy pin him up against the cage even as early as 20 seconds in the fight?

I just rewatched the fight and I have to laugh at people calling Carwin slow. Carwin's standup is WAY faster than Lesnar's, rewatch the fights and tell me his standup looks at explosive or quick as Carwin's...not even close.

Carwin is actually a purple belt in BJJ, and to his credit the only time you saw him on his back after having his nose crushed he got out quickly from underneath a world champion BJJ blackbelt.

Only advantage I give Lesnar in this fight is his wrestling, and I don't think it's enough of an advantage to win him the fight. Randy got up several times after getting taken down and being underneath Lesnar, I don't think Carwin will have a problem either.
I think it's a mistake to assume Carwin's MMA grappling and wrestling abilities are comparable to Couture's, one of the greatest of all time. And this BJJ blackbelt you speak of, Gonzaga, was also able to take Carwin down despite not even having a real wrestling background while Couture ragdolled him.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
How is Carwin's power being exaggerated when the guy hasn't even got out of the first round? The guy knocks people the **** out.

His fight against Lesnar is scheduled for 5 rounds. Isn't that alot of time for Carwin to find Brock's chin?

I think this match comes down to wrestling and whether Carwin can land. If Lesnar can put down Carwin at will I think he'll gas or finish him.

If it lingers too long on the feet, Carwin has enough power to finish from any position. That clinch he had against the cage with Mir, which he followed up with some vicious uppercuts, could very well occur again against Lesnar.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Because he was happy to drive some knees into Randy in the clinch, knowing Randy aint got the power to KO him from there. I didn't say Lesnar cannot be clinched against the cage, I said he isn't going to decide to chill out or get carried away anywhere where Carwin is dangerous, like Welisch, Gonzaga and Mir did. That point still stands.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
A whole bunch of theories. Some might end to be truth!

Im so pumped up to see this fight.

I can´t wait July 3rd so i can see someone ass being kicked!

:thumb02:

Reactions: alizio

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Because he was happy to drive some knees into Randy in the clinch, knowing Randy aint got the power to KO him from there. I didn't say Lesnar cannot be clinched against the cage, I said he isn't going to decide to chill out or get carried away anywhere where Carwin is dangerous, like Welisch, Gonzaga and Mir did. That point still stands.
You need to rewatch the fight, he tried to land knees to Couture, only one or two of which landed cleanly, when he was trying to clinch couture to the cage at the start of the fight. Couture was able to circle when backing up to avoid being put into the cage and held Brock there instead. Randy is one of the best dirty boxers in mma, I wouldn't say he would want to chill there with couture depsite having ko power or not. Brock used his strength to take the fight to the ground several times and Randy was able to get up from it.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
...And this BJJ blackbelt you speak of, Gonzaga, was also able to take Carwin down despite not even having a real wrestling background while Couture ragdolled him.
Carwin's nose had just been crushed as previously stated, if anyting it proves he is mentally strong and can get out of the worst possible scenario in that matchup with great composure.

The fight starts standing and these guys are going to throw some fakes and bombs before it hits the ground, thats guaranteed. Gonzaga's standup is way better than Brock's and Carwin's standup looked much better standing against Mir than in his fight against Gonzaga where he was extrenely flat footed with no head movement.

I wouldn't say Couture ragdolled Gonzaga either, he had a great gameplan but took some serious damage such as his forearm being broken badly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts