Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
Okay you need sparing like I need... Well thats for another time..

You look semi crisp, obviously a new guy. You need to learn to use your body, movement, feet.

Not horrible, but you hit slow and I think your cardio maybe in question. What you're doing is focus mitts, I do drills that last 5-10 minutes and very complex orders. You need to work on speed and movement.

I'd say you should try light sparring, before I ever did sparring I hit the mitts/bags like a badass. But against a moving target that hits back, its a new game. Sparring is the best tool for learning to fight, trust me.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
None of this was bad at all. There were a few little things, such a little choreography of the jab.

Perhaps there might have been a cardio issue, it looked a little like it after the mitt work, but cardio comes in time, as you said it hasn't been more than a couple months since you started.

In a purely technical basis, it looks like you might not be proiding enough torsion in each punch, i. e. relying on arm strength for crosses/hooks and not using your legs on uppercuts.

Also technically, when you were throwing knees it is advisable to point your toe directly down, what this does is, tightens the skin over the knee, decreasing the cushion on the platella, and increasing the kinetic energy transfered to the target of the knee strike. NOTE there is little research into the subject of dermic kinetic diffusion, but its been a staple of Martial Arts for a very long time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Like others said, not terrible for a beginner actually pretty good. Also I must admit for a big guy/new guy.. your movement is not too shabby, I am not sure what you weigh but you seem pretty good and the thing is at least you are not "dragging" yourself around like some heavier guys are and it seems like you are trying to stay light on your feet.

Which is good. Keep it up & Keep practicing.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
In the first video, as well as in the 3rd, as you started throwing any of your punches you dropped your right hand. You went to throw a jab for a 1-2 you dropped your right hand before you even threw your jab. Just about every time.

Yes, I'm nit picking, but dropping your hands gets you lit up.

Besides that I agree with the others it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i know - my right hand dropping has always been a problem from the start....i wish i had vids of when i first started so you could see how much better its gotten.....for some reason it seems to be really difficult to eliminate

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Your really good for a beginner have tons of potential and power. Just a few things as u progress u need to throw ur hip more into ur punches it will add more power. Also when u throw kicks keep ur hand up also tuck up chin in close to ur chest. But overall pretty good keep it up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey man,

Thanks for sharing the video. You're doing very well for a beginner man. Your balance looks good, your bringing your hands back high most of the time after punching and you move quick dude.

A couple things that may help you out.

1) Adjust your stance a bit, turning your left shoulder a little more forward and rear shoulder back a bit. This will give your jab more reach and your cross more power.

2)When punching transfer a little more weight onto your front leg (it's sole completely on the ground) by bending your knee towards the target a bit more. Be sure to transfer the weight forward and not to the left front angle. Tough to explain but keep some weight on your right foot when jabbing should do the trick.

3) Snap your right hand, shoulder, hip and foot back to fight stance a little quicker after throwing your right hand. This will give you a little more pop in your punch.

4) Be sure to work on throwing your left jab before your right uppercut in addition to just the right uppercut. When you start to spar, you'll find you'll get hit alot if you lead with uppercuts. The jab will diguise your entry a bit.

Hope this helps. Keep up the great work man!

JJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
For a beginnner your pretty good man. I noticed your uppercut is all arm. Bring your weight down by bending your knees and use you rear leg to push upward to throw that uppercut. It'll keep your defense up and it'll be less telegraphed. Keep up the hard work!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.