Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what everyone is using. I am currently using AVG because it was free, just to hold me over until I got something else, but I read a lot of bad things about AVG so I am looking to make a switch sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
The problem with free versions of anti-malware software is that while they usually have the same search engine like their full commercial counterparts they usually don't have a web-scanner. That means that they will only get to action when a virus has already infiltrated your system and maybe corrupted it, but they won't prevent your system from getting infiltrated. Once a virus has infiltrated your system it's mostly very hard to get rid of it. Anti-malware software often just deletes the corrupted files and you still can't be sure that the virus is completely removed. So you would have to reinstall your whole system to be sure. Web-scanner scan the Internet traffic before it gets to your browser and blocks viruses. So those ~ 15 bucks for a full commercial version are worth it.

I use two approaches to protect my system:

One is the anti-malware software. I use kaspersky internet security 2012 which had the overall best ratings in different tests.

And the other is to run my browser (Opera, which is said to have the least security holes) only sandboxed with Sandboxie.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I use Panda as it came free with my pc, and it's awesome.

I also, for PC maintenance, malware etc use iObit, which is amazing.

·
'England Elite'
5,028 Posts
I have used AVG and Spybot for a good 7 to 8 years now and never had a virus. Touchwood. I recommend both to all my friends and no one i know has ever had any problems with them.

Norton on the other hand i would stay well away from..

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of processor did you have? My processor still has plenty to give when I am gaming as well as running other programs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For the Virus, I'm using Windows Defender Microsoft Anti-Virus software. It's really great free software if you have windows 8 or 10 then you will get this software by default otherswise you can download it from Microsoft Sites. Since I'm using this software never give any issue working perfectly for my suggestion Windows Defender is the best Anti-Virus software.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Malwarebytes is the best freeware antivirus I've found. It might also be among the highest scoring in independent tests where PC's are infected with malware & different scanners are tested to see what percentage of viruses they detect.

TBH I haven't kept up as zero day vulns are the real issue & there's a huge worldwide market for them.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Been using Bitdefender for the last couple of years. Got a 3 year licence off ebay for £6. Never had a problem with it. Also used kaspersky, norton, AVG, avast and avira. But I always ended up with trouble along the way. Up to now BD has not giving me any grief. Im not just talking about protection from viruses, but also to not interfere with my normal PC usage. Dont f*uck up my installs. Dont do weird things when im doing web work locally. Dont make me disable it when I want to play games. Basically, just be completely invisible to me. BD is the only thing ive tried so far that ticks all the boxes.

Having said that, ive not tried any other options for 2 years so they could be much better for me now. Gonna do another shop around once my current licence runs out.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
Been using Bitdefender for the last couple of years. Got a 3 year licence off ebay for £6. Never had a problem with it. Also used kaspersky, norton, AVG, avast and avira. But I always ended up with trouble along the way. Up to now BD has not giving me any grief. Im not just talking about protection from viruses, but also to not interfere with my normal PC usage. Dont f*uck up my installs. Dont do weird things when im doing web work locally. Dont make me disable it when I want to play games. Basically, just be completely invisible to me. BD is the only thing ive tried so far that ticks all the boxes.

Having said that, ive not tried any other options for 2 years so they could be much better for me now. Gonna do another shop around once my current licence runs out.
I can tell you to avoid AVG like the plague, I just uninstalled it before my 30 day trail ran out. It's over sensitive to say the least, false positives on files and even blocks everyday stuff like the ability to cast media to your smart TV.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
I can tell you to avoid AVG like the plague, I just uninstalled it before my 30 day trail ran out. It's over sensitive to say the least, false positives on files and even blocks everyday stuff like the ability to cast media to your smart TV.
Thats the thing: so much focus with anti-virus is on its virus detection abilities. But its the other shit that grinds my gears. Like you say, trying to use your home network to do everyday stuff. When these tools interfere with my daily business, that's a massive turn off for me. I would rather have anti-virus that detects 97% of malicious shit and leaves me the f*uck alone for the rest of the time, over something thats 99% accurate and messes with the rest of my software and network.

·
The Title Guy
16,708 Posts
From what I understand from a tech friend of mind the problem with most antivirus software is that they have advertising software attached to it. Also surprisingly windows has it's own firewall and built in antivirus that works quite well. He uninstalled most everything else and basically activated the firewall antivirus program which works well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wondering what everyone is using. I am currently using AVG because it was free, just to hold me over until I got something else, but I read a lot of bad things about AVG so I am looking to make a switch sooner rather than later.
I use BKAV, it very good!
You can search google with BKAV keywords.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Every so often, they used to do independent tests where computers are infected with malware / viruses to check how many anti virus suites remove.

I used to pay attention to those results and use whichever A/V removed the most stdware.

These days there are so many backdoors and exploits purposely built into everything from CPUs, phones, modems and internet infrastructure. I think most people gave up thinking their A/V would do much to protect them.

There probably are still many security conscious practicing good opsec using noscript while observing internet anonymity practices. I gave up on all of that a long long time ago.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Yeah several hackers are used to seek a way into various systems.
I used to be into that, years ago.

Then one day I'm chatting with people who want me to join their hack group. They're explaining to me how they organized their group into "cells" to make it more difficult for law enforcement to infiltrate them.

I'm thinking to myself... I don't think this is something I should be getting into.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts