Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vitor Belfort aiming for October return, "fight of the century" with Anderson Silva

Fans had looked forward to an explosive showdown between Vitor Belfort and middleweight champ Anderson Silva at UFC 112 for months before a shoulder injury forced Belfort to withdraw from the fight and left the UFC scrambling to find a suitable replacement.

Although a game Demian Maia stepped in to take Belfort's place against "The Spider" just a few short weeks before the event, the results were less than spectacular, and Silva continued his record-breaking streak of title defenses. It was a fight that was hard to watch without wondering "what if...," considering it had originally been scheduled to feature two of the most dynamic strikers in the sport.

Now Belfort (19-8), who is still recovering from surgery to repair his injured shoulder, is hoping to finally give fans the fight that should have happened in March.

"My return to the ring has been defined by (UFC owner) Lorenzo (Fertitta)," Belfort said during an interview on Brazilian MMA program Sensei Sport TV. "He called me and wants me to be ready in October and I'll be ready by then."

"The Phenom" made it clear that he wants to face Anderson Silva whether or not the reigning champ defeats challenger Chael Sonnen in his next title defense at UFC 117 in August.

"What bothered me about Anderson, and also bothered us all, was the lack of respect he had with the athlete and man inside the Octagon, talking dirty words, skipping, then kneeling to ask for forgiveness and then not wanting to apologize," Belfort said of Silva's unanimous decision victory over Demian Maia at UFC 112. "It was a controversy, people tried to tell him, but (his manager) Ed Soares translated incorrectly. What bothers me is that I had great affection for him when I knew him. Now he is not the same as before."

Belfort feels that a fight between himself and his former training partner Silva would be one for the ages, and listening to him, it almost sounds like destiny talking.

"Everybody wants this fight," Belfort stated. "I think it will be the fight of the century. It is a much anticipated fight and has to happen. It didn't happen, but now it has to happen more than ever. Now, I'm more determined. I really want this fight. Before they put this fight on me,
but now I want it. Now it's my challenge and it will come."
http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Vitor-Belfort-aiming-for-October-return,-fight-of-the-century-with-Anderson-Silva.html

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The day Anderson Silva goes lights out or even losses a decision is the day.....I........I don't know what will happen I will explode.

No one in MMA pisses me off more then Anderson not even Deigo Sanchez or Nate Diaz.

Hopefully Sonnen pulls something and if not ill be waiting on Vitor.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Sonnen stands a better chance of defeating Silva than Vitor.

Vitor seems to be on the same side as Wandy, they both want to dethrone Silva. I guess they feel Silva has lost his humility and want to teach him a lesson.

Hopefully the fight between Silva and Vitor squashes the beef between all of them. All of them are world class martial artists, no need for beef.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
What century is he talking about this being the fight of? Is it going to be one of those future century's where people fight with robots on the moon.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I will say, I like Vitor's chance more now that he wants this fight. You could totally tell he did not before, and we know he is kind of mentally flakey as is. If he is pissed at AS's lack of respect and actually wants to go in and try and hurt him, make no mistake about it friends, Belfort can throw leather with anyone on the planet.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Vitor is mentally weak he will fold as soon as Andy starts picking apart his one dimensional striking.

·
.:Jeet Kune Do:.
5,684 Posts
Being out so long will hurt him plus he is not going to be able to stand with Anderson..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hungry and motivated Vitor = Silva going to lalaland
Sadly I think Sonnen will grind a victory off Silva so we'll see Vitor vs. Silva in a non title match. Either way I have waited for this fight for a while now as we'll finally see Silva facing a real striker.
Vitor's hand speed and boxing is much better than Silva's, so I believe we'll see Silva using his reach and kicks alot more than he usually does in this fight. If Silva comes to the fight as gunshy as he did against Cote he'll eat a flash KO pretty quickly. :)

Damn I want this fight already!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vitor being out so long due to a injury isnt helping him. I personally would like to see him fight once more before getting a shot at Silva just to shake off the ring rust.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Comon Vitor, youve got to do better than just call him disresctful. You have to really flap your gums to secure a title fight in a division that you have no current relevance in.

I know dana wants to piss off Anderson some more now, but why not let him take another big 205 fight after Chael so that Vitor has a fight to clean out the ring rust?
seriously, if they really want it to be the fight of the century then they should wait a fight to make sure Vitor can actually be somewhat considered a legit number 1 contender, and that there is SOME meaning to the ranking system.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Dana's answer to beating the Pound 4 Pound best in the world:

Sending two guys who have 18 losses combined.
The funny thing is that Dana argues against Fedor being the p4p king because of his supposedly lackluster competition and not facing the best in the world.
Meanwhile, Dana feeds Anderson clowns like Demian Maia and Thales Leites who dont stand a chance and are worse competition than the guys Fedor is fighting. He does this when he could be setting up better fights like Silva vs GSP or Silva vs Shogun. Even Silva vs Rampage or somethign would be better.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Vitor better be ready by October. If that's a tentative schedule for post-destruction of Sonnen, Silva.

If they set a match for October and Vitor backs out again, screw him. That would make it his FOURTH time he's backed out of a scheduled match or backing out on the night of the fight.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Some people talk non-sense.
What does his record have to do with him being one of the best MW in the world right now?! Indeed he has 8 losses, but his last loss came in 2006 against Henderson.
Plus: look at the list of people who beat him: Couture x2, Overeem x2, Lidell, ortiz, Henderson and Sakuraba. MMA Legends, future Hall of Famers.
And there is something else about him fighting Silva. He has looked realy impressive in his last fights. He looked like that kid who stormed into MMA more than a decade a go and got the name "Phenom". Since training at Couture he looks realy good.
And another thing! Some people contradict themselves.
If Anderson gets Maia or Leites...it's no good: "hey Dana stop giving Silva grapplers..."
If Anderson is given Belfort: "hey Dana, Belfort is no good, cuz he has a lot of losses"
After the Maia fight, almost everyone was saying Anderson needs to fight a striker. Surprise world...Belfort is a striker....

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
IMO I don't see anyone beating Anderson right now, sure there are a lot of guys in that division with amazing skills as fighters but I just can't see it happening. A really dominant wrestler probably has the best chance against him now but then I think Anderson's BJJ combined with his freakishly long arms and legs can get around that. Anderson was disrespectful in his last fight but I think that comes down to not really feeling challenged, and perhaps a little Brazilian politics.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Some people talk non-sense.
What does his record has to do with him being one of the best MQ in the world right now?! Indeed he has 8 losses, but his last loss came in 2006 against Henderson.
Plus: look at the list of people who beat him: Couture x2, Overeem x2, Lidell, ortiz, Henderson and Sakuraba. MMA Legends, future Hall of Famers.
This is the same mojo that keeps Couture relevant. His record looks about the same.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sonnen needs to get stomped like the big talking scrub he is, so THIS can have the potential to be a 5 rounder. sorry sonnen but you suck and this is a fight i dont even care who wins, i just want to see it.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The funny thing is that Dana argues against Fedor being the p4p king because of his supposedly lackluster competition and not facing the best in the world.
Meanwhile, Dana feeds Anderson clowns like Demian Maia and Thales Leites who dont stand a chance and are worse competition than the guys Fedor is fighting. He does this when he could be setting up better fights like Silva vs GSP or Silva vs Shogun. Even Silva vs Rampage or somethign would be better.
This is nonsense. Anderson fights the likes of Leities because he's beaten everyone else. There's always been a certain amount of top HWs that Fedor hasn't faced, more so today than ever before. The same cannot be said for Anderson.

Silva has beat everyone. Bring in Jacare and Mousasi but they aren't proven against top competition anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts