Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SOOTHE YOUR SAVAGE BREASTS
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UFC on FX 7: Vitor Belfort talks Testosterone Replacement Therapy....kinda sorta​

UFC Middleweight contender Vitor Belfort is the only thing between Micheal Bisping and a UFC title shot against Anderson Silva. Belfort will meet Bisping at UFC on FX 7: Belfort vs. Bisping. In advance of the fight he spoke to ESPN's Brett Okamoto and the subject of Tesosterone Replacement Therapy came up:

ESPN: Some fighters in their 30s have been diagnosed with low testosterone levels and received exemptions to use testosterone replacement therapy [TRT]. Have you ever applied for TRT or would you consider it?

Belfort: If a question is private, I have the choice to answer or not. If I make it public, it's not private anymore. If I want to say something private I will say it, but I keep to myself and I respect the laws of the sport. Whatever the organization, whatever the law -- they know what to do. This is too controversial, why am I going to say something that doesn't accomplish anything? If it's legal, they know what to do. If it's legal, there's nothing to say about it. It's legal.

ESPN: As you mention, TRT is legal for fighters who qualify for it. Do you believe it's getting a bad image in the sport? Fans are too quick to judge fighters who use it?

Belfort: It's hard. Like, you're either a Republican or Democrat. Who is right? I think it's this: The truth is always in the middle. Of course, some things are non-negotiable. I think in life, you just need to find a balance. That's the problem with the rule, is that everyone is so radical. That's my opinion. I'm very faithful to the things I believe in and I'm working on myself. I don't like to judge. When you judge people, it sounds like you are God. We live in a freedom country. It is what it is.
Anyone understand what Belfort is actually saying here?
Source: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/9/3854922/ufc-on-fx-7-vitor-belfort-talks-TRT

After reading through that, I was like...WHAT? :confused02:

·
Cruz Control
9,159 Posts
Vitor's lost his ******* mind.

He was on the MMA Hour on Monday and Ariel asked him about his haircut and he said the story was too long then he starts telling the story and he's going on about King David and someone scalping a bunch of lion's and shit.

And I love it, Vitor's awesome, hope he KO's Bisping. Though it should be noted on 152 someone had a TRT exemption but they never revealed who.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
I personally wouldn't doubt it if he was on it (TRT)... Rashad Evans is Pro TRT. Vitor trains with Evans and he is getting up their in age for it to make sense now. Plus he kinda beat around the bush with his philosophical non-sense again...

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Seems like he's saying for Question 1: he was/is on TRT, but since it's doctor-prescribed, it's both confidential/private (so he feels justified in not talking about it), and also legal.

And for question 2: He was/is on TRT, so he doesn't judge people for using TRT, and he wishes (not surprisingly) that others wouldn't judge him for using.

·
Black & Gold
634 Posts
Belfort needs to lay off the jesus juice.. It's messing with his head.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Way to totally side step the question Vitor! But from what he said (or didn't say) I would lean towards him using TRT.

·
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
2,508 Posts
Seems like he's saying for Question 1: he was/is on TRT, but since it's doctor-prescribed, it's both confidential/private (so he feels justified in not talking about it), and also legal.

And for question 2: He was/is on TRT, so he doesn't judge people for using TRT, and he wishes (not surprisingly) that others wouldn't judge him for using.

Way to totally side step the question Vitor! But from what he said (or didn't say) I would lean towards him using TRT.
In this thread Vitor Belfort admits using TRT.

Another TRT phag.
All these. There seems to be alot of fighters with low testosterone. I wonder if I have low testosterone.

·
Number 1 Nerf-Herder
2,508 Posts
Theres a much higher percentage of men with lower test than they should have, even men in the low 20's. Test levels have been steadily declining since the 50s.
Think that might have something to do with the constant rise in people eating junk food? Theres more and more fast food places opening up all the time and people are drinking things like energy drinks and fizzy cola beverages more than ever. None of these things help with T-levels. How does a doctor test for it? I assume its a blood sample?

·
Panic-wrestler
4,093 Posts
Think that might have something to do with the constant rise in people eating junk food? Theres more and more fast food places opening up all the time and people are drinking things like energy drinks and fizzy cola beverages more than ever. None of these things help with T-levels. How does a doctor test for it? I assume its a blood sample?
It has more to do with our general lifestyle now.

Where i'm from in the 50's you probably worked down the mines or built ships, proper manly jobs requiring intense amounts of physical labour every single day from 18 til you literally couldn't do it anymore.

If you think about all the things that boost testosterone; physical exercise, sex, losing your temper, eating red meat etc they're all masculine activities. Logically no fighter should have "low" testosterone and i doubt they are actually "low" by normal standards unless they have abused steroids and as a result their body can't produce a normal amount anymore.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Terrible diets in general do have an impact on a male's test production yes. Taking care of yourself and exercising is one of the best ways to increase natural test production. However, there are also a lot of other things impacting this. Soy products naturally increase estrogen in the system and numerous babies are raised on soy-based formula. The use of the birth control pill has also increased estrogen compounds in the water supply which has shown to have distinct negative effects on males.

Men's health articles and magazines are always geared towards maintaining heart health and prostate health, which are great things yes, but its time we all start taking our test levels seriously.

Yes all it takes is a blood test. Tell your doc you want to know everything about your hormone levels.

·
KO artist
5,552 Posts
My take on this is Vitor IS CLEAN, but doesn't feel like he has the right to judge others for it, given his past steroid abuse.

When I clicked this thread, I expected to dislike Vitor either way ... If he admitted ro TRT i'd be like "great another cheat". If he sounded of on TRT users, I'd be thinking "yeah, you have room to talk mr nandrolone"

Surpringly this weird convoluted half answer makes him more likeable to me. He probably doesn't approve steroids or trt anymore, but he feels has no right to judge, having done worse himself. He basically dodged a controversial catch 22 the reporter was trying to force him into.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts