Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy on versus made a good pioint....Vitor has yet to win a fight in the UFC....
and second...he already wussed out against Silva when he didn't even deserve the fight then....why offer him another title fight?

Why in the world does Vitor get title fights without having to earn them?

what the hell makes him so special? Besides the fact that he wusses out against (title) opponents.

·
Registered
786 Posts
He beat Rich Franklin, so he did win a fight in the UFC, just not at MW.

Franklin's been getting owned left and right. If he hadn't KOed Chuck he would have been stuck throwing jabs all night and have zero TDD. Since losing to Silva Franklin has lost half his fights. I don't think getting a victory over Franklin at this point is significant enough to make him a serious challenger against Silva.

No one has seen Sonnen's fighting style against Silva. Basically "I'm gonna take you down...or die." That's a seriously risky strategy and it takes someone with Sonnen's record to do it without fear--since it's probably his only shot at stardom. Most people worry too much about their legacy when fighting Silva and play it safe, to their detriment.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Why shouldnt Vitor get a title shot? Who else is there at MW who you would rather see against Silva who we havent seen already?
Vitor is obviously a very talented striker if he knocked out FRanklin in the first round, so we might as well see how he fares against Anderson Silva. He's already cleaned out the rest of the division, might as well add another name to the list (if he can).

·
Registered
234 Posts
The guy on versus made a good pioint....Vitor has yet to win a fight in the UFC....
and second...he already wussed out against Silva when he didn't even deserve the fight then....why offer him another title fight?

what the hell makes him so special? Besides the fact that he wusses out against (title) opponents.
Who is this fountain of BS you speak of? Vitor has 5 or 6 wins in the UFC. Also, he wussed out? Gimme a break. Silva postoned the fight twice before Belfort sustained a shoulder injury in training that required surgery.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't think Vitor has done enough to earn a title shot, but I'm looking forward to it.

I want to see the fight because Vitor vs AS would be a great stand-up fight. I think Vitor has the better hands, but AS is better overall because he uses kicks/knees/elbows.

Also FYI, AS 'wussed out' of that fight before Vitor.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Silva really does not have to many credible contendors at the moment. A road stop at Vitor would be an entertaining bout ontrack to possibly more interesting fights such as Okami/Silva, Nate/Silva, Sonnen/Silva II, and if we are lucky the superfight of GSP/Silva.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
No Vitor doesn't deserve a title shot. He hasn't fought in almost a year already and since moving to MW his "big wins" are Terry Martin, Matt Lindland and Rich Franklin at 195 catch weight.

Matt Lindland is 40 years old and 2-3 in his last 5 fights. His last win was against Kevin Casey on Strikeforce Challengers "the purpose of the series is to highlight up and coming MMA fighters"

Terry Martin is 2-3 in his last 5 fights. His last 2 wins were against Ted Worthington who has a 27-25 record and Cory Devela who is 9-5 for his career. Basically nobodies.

He has a legit win against Franklin, but it wasn't even in the 85 division proper, it was at 195. And he has been inactive ever since.

Seriously, is this enough to get ANYONE NOT NAMED "VITOR BELFORT" a title shot? Ask yourself seriously. It's pathetic.

Vitor is an awesome fighter. I'd love to see him against the top talent at 185 right now, such as Sonnen, Marquardt, Maia, Okami or hell even Leben since everyone is so high on his nuts right now. But deserving of a title shot? Nay.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
I don't agree he deserves a shot in the first place. He hasn't even won a fight at MW in the UFC! Give Chael the rematch or get Chael v Vitor for #1 contender, and have Silva move up to LHW just to occupy his time 'til then.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
If the ufc is not going to give Chael a rematch then vitory is the best option. THe MW division such, as has monopolized it. Vitor is a household name and is capable of beating anderson.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
He beat the snot out of Franklin and looked impressive doing so.

There is literally NO ONE else besides Marquardt or Sonnen II. Silva has made is clear that he is fighting at Middleweight.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Who is this fountain of BS you speak of? Vitor has 5 or 6 wins in the UFC. Also, he wussed out? Gimme a break. Silva postoned the fight twice before Belfort sustained a shoulder injury in training that required surgery.
That about sums it up.

And people... if Penn deserves a shot and if Hardy deserved a shot, then Vitor deserves his for sure!
Also don't think about it purely on "who has most wins in MW recently", think about it stylisticly too; Vitor will be the first high level striker Silva has faced, and Silva has already beaten everyone else who is even close to deserving a shot at the belt.
Sonnen vs. Silva II has to be seen too, but I wouldn't mind seeing Vitor vs. Silva before that.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
He hasn't earned it, Dana White already gave it to him long ago though.

It's stupid and doesn't make sense right now why he's not atleast fighting a UFC MW Okami or Sonnen for his undisputed contendership. There is looooooonng lay-off right now and he has plenty of time for a fight in November and then in March against Silva if he wins.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Vitor wussed out? When did this happen? Last time I checked Soares came up with reasons why Silva shouldn't have to fight Vitor (and Sonnen for that matter). If anything Soares was dodging the fight (I'm saying Soares because I doubt half the things he says comes from his fighters) and then Vitor got hurt while overtraining. Meanwhile Maia had beat Sonnen and he got the shot instead of Vitor. Remember, it was almost a year ago whe Vitor was promised to fight for the championship. How is that wussing out?

For the record: I know the fight got postponed because Silva was himself recovering from injury.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts

A few things wrong here, first Vitor has won more than a few fights inside the UFC. Against a guy named Randy Couture for the HW title no less. And he injured his shoulder and needed surgery. He didn't just pull out of the fight.

And what makes him so special? ummmmm.....watch and learn my young friend.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Franklin's been getting owned left and right. If he hadn't KOed Chuck he would have been stuck throwing jabs all night and have zero TDD. Since losing to Silva Franklin has lost half his fights.
I don't know where the hate is coming from but you're original premise is wrong. Franklin has not been getting owned left and right. Since Franklin's original loss to Silva (he was on an 8 fight win streak prior to this, btw), his record is 6-3 (one of those losses is to Silva, so I wouldn't really count that). Also, his loss to Henderson is highly debatable. I can see why Henderson won the fight but I could also make an argument for Franklin.

Lastly, you mentioned that in Franklin's fight, he had zero take down defense. Liddell went for one take down attempt and was successful. But you know what? Franklin managed to get it back to his feet while receiving minimal damage.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Somewhat off topic, I'm as big a Rich Franklin fan as it gets.

He's probably the best role model out there for people. Couture get's a lot of hype and is Captain America and all.

But when I doing deployments for OIF/OEF - in the gulf, working in Baharian, the coast of Louisiana after Katrina - Ace was out there on 3 occasions and Big John made it out there once, twice I watch putting on exhibitions throwing our big boys around, if they had time, when he had time, he took fight pose pictures and was more than willing to spend his entire day talking to every single one of us.

He needs to be in the hall of fame one day.:praise01:

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Somewhat off topic, I'm as big a Rich Franklin fan as it gets.

He's probably the best role model out there for people. Couture get's a lot of hype and is Captain America and all.

But when I doing deployments for OIF/OEF - in the gulf, working in Baharian, the coast of Louisiana after Katrina - Ace was out there on 3 occasions and Big John made it out there once, twice I watch putting on exhibitions throwing our big boys around, if they had time, when he had time, he took fight pose pictures and was more than willing to spend his entire day talking to every single one of us.

He needs to be in the hall of fame one day.:praise01:
* applause *

Rich is one of those guys you suspect the UFC will hire the moment he retires from fighting. I could see Franklin being very successful in placating people who are against MMA. On the one hand, you have some suit claiming MMA is barbaric, and on the other you have Rich Franklin. Pro MMA fighter. Polite respectful human being. Very intelligent and well spoken. Perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
* applause *

Rich is one of those guys you suspect the UFC will hire the moment he retires from fighting. I could see Franklin being very successful in placating people who are against MMA. On the one hand, you have some suit claiming MMA is barbaric, and on the other you have Rich Franklin. Pro MMA fighter. Polite respectful human being. Very intelligent and well spoken. Perfect.
What makes it bad is Sonnen wins over the American fan base with by trash talking, lying, making stuff up, disrespecting plenty of other great fighters - including Franklin and the Nogs. He is a bonafide dirtbag.

While Ace, who goes well beyond his obligation what America is supposed to be about - no one really cares.

I really hope Sonnen does make his way up the ladder and fights a healthy Silva next year. Shoot his mouth off for whatever, and then proceed to receive a proper Anderson Silva beating. A Silva with footwork, explosiveness, precise striking, counter stalking. One doesn't get punched in the face off the bell by mediocre strikers.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
What makes it bad is Sonnen wins over the American fan base with by trash talking, lying, making stuff up, disrespecting plenty of other great fighters - including Franklin and the Nogs. He is a bonafide dirtbag.

While Ace, who goes well beyond his obligation what America is supposed to be about - no one really cares.

I really hope Sonnen does make his way up the ladder and fights a healthy Silva next year. Shoot his mouth off for whatever, and then proceed to receive a proper Anderson Silva beating. A Silva with footwork, explosiveness, precise striking, counter stalking. One doesn't get punched in the face off the bell by mediocre strikers.
In sonnens words "You need to grow thicker skin"

What Sonnen did was purely Hype and it worked. I for one am glad he did it because from the estimated buyrate Chael Sonnen could have possibly doubled the ppv buys by himself even against a uninteresting figure in Anderson Silva (I by no way hate Silva but i do acknowledge the fact that outside of fighting he isnt very interesting). This means more money for the UFC which in turn means MORE money for the fighters. I will never hate on a person for trying to find a way to feed his family. He said some things that weren't nice but in the end of the day those are just words and people need to treat them as such.

Did you watch the Post Fight conference?? I for one respected Chael in the conference more then i have a fighter in a long time. He was very humble and very honest... he didnt say anything to discredit silva he even gave him props and called him a Champion. One of the best/honest things i have heard a fighter say came out of Sonnens mouth that night. "Yeah i thought Silva would give me more resistance on the ground then he did and that's because he came into the fight injured and i believe him". This comment is one of the more honest things i have heared a guy say. Chael seemed like a very down to earth person and the pre hype talk we need to remember is just what it is... Pre Hype.

Well enough of that..

I do agree, Rich is an amazing fighter and person. The guy is always respectful and a class act every time. I would love for this guy to represent the UFC in any way he can because i know he cant do no wrong.

ON THE OTHER SUBJECT!

I never thought Vitor deserved a title shot to begin with. He has more then 1 win in the UFC but that was what?? 5 years ago? Come on guys lets not be ridiculous here. His most recent Win in the UFC wasn't even in the MW division. When Dana gave Vitor the title shot he didn't run from it By any means BUT he wasn't very excited for it either. I heard him say multiple times that he didn't want a title shot so early but he cant do anything about it. As soon as i heard that i wasn't very interested in him vs Silva so early. The UFC should make a mini MW tournament to figure out the number 1 contender.

Nate vs Palhares
Vitor vs Yushin

Winners fight each other.

We should still have ample time to set up

Chael vs Winner of Second bout.

This could all be set up before Silvas 2011 return.

While the Mini Tourny is going on we still have fighters like
(Cote,Leben,Bisping,Wandy,Maia) determining who the next up and contender is.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
He should only get a shot if he gets past Yushin Okami!

Silva won't be fighting in the next 6 months I guess.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.