Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent interview with Tatame Magazine, Pride FC legend Wanderlei Silva hinted at future plans for his retirement.

Although no specific date was mentioned, several recent key losses might be weighing heavy on his mind.

Silva is expected to fight at Pride Shockwave 2006 and next February’s Pride USA event, but after that is still in question. Wanderlei spoke of the possibility of opening a gym in L.A. so he could pass his vast wealth of knowledge and experience over to a new generation of fighters.

"I have some plans of in the next four or five months open a Training Center in Los Angeles and then stay there. I don't want to do my own academy, but a big training center where I will be able to pass on my experience to my pupils."

Source: Wanderlei Talks Retirement - MMAUniverse.com

dont go wand!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'd quit to if i got my ass kicked like he did against Cro Cop, that shit was rediculous. I know cro cop has the advantage just off of striking skills and size, but i mean...man did he take a beating.

I think if he fights chuck and loses infront of PRIDE it'll be a sad day for Silva.

·
WTF Chuck, Fight Me!
1,784 Posts
he still has liddell before he retires, thats for sure. Calling him out and then retiring, that would be the worse bs ever. I think his retirement plan is not due for at least 1-2 years, loosing like he did to cro cop, and when hes never been knocked out before, thats just a huge shock.. too bad for him, his next fights arent going to be easy ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
he wouldnt be discouraged from something like a ko loss. hes a champion, hes very mentally strong and honestly wouldnt he of said no i dont want to fight anymore when his eye shut? he wanted to hit him he didnt care if he got knocked out, and hell fight cro cop again, hes only thirty he will fight another 3 or 4 years i bet, retire a rich man at a young age

·
Registered
336 Posts
dam that would suck if he retired, he's one of my favorite fighters.. and i would see no point of fighting CroCop again, after 2x and still not being able to take him out once!

but regardless if he does retire, i want him to WHIP Chucks asssss first

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
x X CLoud X x said:
dam that would suck if he retired, he's one of my favorite fighters.. and i would see no point of fighting CroCop again, after 2x and still not being able to take him out once!

but regardless if he does retire, i want him to WHIP Chucks asssss first
I m assuming you mean whoop;), but either way they gotta settle it before either one of the retires ..

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Grabaka said:
Wand will step down and Shogun will take over as the King of the PRIDE MW division.
Agreed, though I think it won't happen for a year or two. At this point I believe Shogun is already slightly better overall than Wanderlei, but I don't know if they will fight as they are from the same camp and like family.

Best case scenario: Wanderlei fights Chuck, then rematches with Tito. After that he rides off into the sunset.

Wanderlei is an all-time great and he should retire while he is still on top, or really close. I hope he doesn't stretch his career far too long like many others in the past.

·
Registered
464 Posts
sirdilznik said:
Agreed, though I think it won't happen for a year or two. At this point I believe Shogun is already slightly better overall than Wanderlei, but I don't know if they will fight as they are from the same camp and like family.

Best case scenario: Wanderlei fights Chuck, then rematches with Tito. After that he rides off into the sunset.

Wanderlei is an all-time great and he should retire while he is still on top, or really close. I hope he doesn't stretch his career far too long like many others in the past.
If/when tito loses to chuck, Wandy vs Tito rematch would be great. Then Wandy can say, win or lose, my fight with chuck is the last

·
Registered
34 Posts
i think that Silva will leave pride and then possibly get signed to a one fight deal with the ufc maybe. I dont know, but if that doesn't happen, it doesn't look like the silva/liddell match will ever happen.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
sirdilznik said:

I hear you there, I've notice alot of great fighters retire with unhappy endings. If I were in Pride or UFC I'd at least want to win my last fight. Which I think he should sign with UFC for just a little while and fight Tito last, I'd say Chuck first cause it would be a close fight and he may lose, at least when he fights Tito hes almost guarenteed to win leaving with a happy ending avenging one of his losses to a cocky fighter. ;) a definite happy ending, haha.

·
F*ck You I Rhyme Better
2,458 Posts
sirdilznik said:

shogun and wanderlei have already said numerous times... they will not fight

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Nick_V03 said:
I hear you there, I've notice alot of great fighters retire with unhappy endings. If I were in Pride or UFC I'd at least want to win my last fight. Which I think he should sign with UFC for just a little while and fight Tito last, I'd say Chuck first cause it would be a close fight and he may lose, at least when he fights Tito hes almost guarenteed to win leaving with a happy ending avenging one of his losses to a cocky fighter. ;) a definite happy ending, haha.
I think what Wanderlei should do if the Liddell fight doesn't materialize in the next 6 months or so (and it probably won't :mad: ) is this: Do another year in Pride and defend the belt several times against top competition (an Arona rematch for sure), then sign a 2 fight deal with UFC (would Dana pass up a chance to sign Wandy ? Regardless of stipulations I say hell no) to fight Chuck, then (regardless of win/loss against Chuck) Tito. It would be like a really awesome farewell tour. It would mean that Wandy has fought everyone in his day and could retire as the definition of legend(even if he loses his title during that run). And it would mean great ratings for the UFC. It's a win, win, win situation (Wandy wins, the UFC wins, and the fans most definitely win).

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Damn, hopefully he sticks around for a little bit longer, he's what really helps retain my interest in Pride FC. Hopefully he has a fight with Chuck Liddell sooner than later

1 - 20 of 22 Posts