Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 38 and not in too bad of shape, took some taekwondo and wing in my late teens and early 20's, then competive bodybuilding in late 20's & early 30's. Am i too old try to get into this sport?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
It doesn't matter how old you are unless you are like 70+, it is all about heart is what I think. If you have enough determination then one day Joe Rogan will say "can you believe this guy started at 38 and is now the UFC champion, he must be one of the most talented fighter ever."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
erice0021 said:
I just turned 38 and not in too bad of shape, took some taekwondo and wing in my late teens and early 20's, then competive bodybuilding in late 20's & early 30's. Am i too old try to get into this sport?
while time might be against you depending onw how much time you can devote to training and how much aptitude you have, plus competitive spirit.. Do not expect a long carear or a shot at making it to the UFC or pride unless you show exceptional abality.. But as for me I say good luck and follow your dreams. You can get lots of good training advice here plus make sure you find good schools and training halls and avoid the Mc Dojo's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
why not!

38! Ur only as old as u feel, well thats what they say! Why not? Unless you give it a try ull never know, if the desire is there then u never know, u might have an aptitude for this sport that u never knew existed!
Im in a silimar situation, im 23 and dont know if i have passed the boat yet, i mean u see all thses guys out there in their late teens/early 20s fighting in the UFC, it makes u feel old. Also im in the UK so MMA and the UFC isnt nearly as popular here!!! So its REAL hard to find a gym!
Best of luck ne ways!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
mo171083 said:
38! Ur only as old as u feel, well thats what they say! Why not? Unless you give it a try ull never know, if the desire is there then u never know, u might have an aptitude for this sport that u never knew existed!
Im in a silimar situation, im 23 and dont know if i have passed the boat yet, i mean u see all thses guys out there in their late teens/early 20s fighting in the UFC, it makes u feel old. Also im in the UK so MMA and the UFC isnt nearly as popular here!!! So its REAL hard to find a gym!
Best of luck ne ways!
yea you see the young guys.. but look at your champions most of them are a bit older.. mid to late 20's early 30's... The male body does not reach its full potentioal until this time.. watch the MetRx strong man competitions.. they are always owned by the older guys.. not the young kids.. 23 is not too old I am 28 and if I did not have a family and responsibilities.. I'd be seriously debating competeing.. as it is.. I just enjoy the training when I get the rare chance or watching.. I got too much going to rely on something like that as I would have to train full time which would me no work.. so you need to weigh your priorities in your life.. if your single training full time is not hard as you just need a part time job to cover basic expenses. if you have a family like my self.. unless your name is chuck and command 6 fighures for a fight win or lose.. unless your better half makes good money you can not train full time and if you have kids thats even less time.. so it all boils down to your personal situation and goals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
The Don said:
yea you see the young guys.. but look at your champions most of them are a bit older.. mid to late 20's early 30's... The male body does not reach its full potentioal until this time.. watch the MetRx strong man competitions.. they are always owned by the older guys.. not the young kids.. 23 is not too old I am 28 and if I did not have a family and responsibilities.. I'd be seriously debating competeing.. as it is.. I just enjoy the training when I get the rare chance or watching.. I got too much going to rely on something like that as I would have to train full time which would me no work.. so you need to weigh your priorities in your life.. if your single training full time is not hard as you just need a part time job to cover basic expenses. if you have a family like my self.. unless your name is chuck and command 6 fighures for a fight win or lose.. unless your better half makes good money you can not train full time and if you have kids thats even less time.. so it all boils down to your personal situation and goals.
Bas started to compete in his mid 20s and started trully training at 21...and he became a legend of MMA and known as one of the worlds best martial artists...

Its never too late to start...even if u dont get to go to por levels the training will help u phisicaly and mentally...u'll feel better and be healthier....just go out and learn...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,163 Posts
Deadly Poet said:
Bas started to compete in his mid 20s and started trully training at 21...and he became a legend of MMA and known as one of the worlds best martial artists...

Its never too late to start...even if u dont get to go to por levels the training will help u phisicaly and mentally...u'll feel better and be healthier....just go out and learn...
now that isa tidbit about Bas i did not know.. wonder how many other top fighters started later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Genetic Freaks!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Yeah I totally agree (with the don)
Thats the problem ,I mean reality. How many of us can actually devote enough time to training whilst managing to maintain a job and the responsability being able to provide for yourself.
I work 8-6 every day and manage to get to the gym everyday for a couple of hours, I love to train but i just dont have the time!!
Obviously this may seem like a vague question, but how much do ya rekon u actually need to put in? I know theres obviously a Q of quality but would 2 hours of good training and possibly a 2 mile jog in the morning be enough?

Thats a topic which also interests me, it seem like all the top guys have been learning for ever! But i heard rich started relatively late, he was a teacher of summits want he???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
mo171083 said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Yeah I totally agree (with the don)
Thats the problem ,I mean reality. How many of us can actually devote enough time to training whilst managing to maintain a job and the responsability being able to provide for yourself.
I work 8-6 every day and manage to get to the gym everyday for a couple of hours, I love to train but i just dont have the time!!
Obviously this may seem like a vague question, but how much do ya rekon u actually need to put in? I know theres obviously a Q of quality but would 2 hours of good training and possibly a 2 mile jog in the morning be enough?

Thats a topic which also interests me, it seem like all the top guys have been learning for ever! But i heard rich started relatively late, he was a teacher of summits want he???
remember that a lot of profecional fighters have full time jobs....only on the top level u can make a living...

Marvin Hagler, one of the greatest middleweight boxers of all time, had to work full time in construction then go to the gym for most of his carreer....If those 2 or 3 hours a day are well spent u could make it....

Rich also started formal training late and had to go to college and work as a teacher and he still made it work...

Its a matter of how much do u want it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Well the desire is there so well have to see.
Suppose we cant forget that these people are supremely gifted athletes, (hopefull im one too!!!)
Seriously, I agree totally. Im guna try and make it work either way. Thats actually a good axample, coming from a boxing background Im aware of that. However, dont you think that a MMA fighter needs to actually train for a longer amount of time to make sure hes well rounded in each discipline???
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top